It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:32 am

Post subject: Roland V-Drums
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:11 am 

Hey guys,
I'm a drummer, and have a Roland TD-6 kit.
I just picked up an SP-505 last week to have a play around with.

I'm still not really sure what I'll be using the SP-505 for.. at the moment it's a lot of fun putting drum loops together and throwing samples around. I suppose I would like to get to a stage where I'm remixing some of my favourite old school tunes, and matching them up to some nice beats... Would also then use my acoustic kit over the top of my mixes for live performance.

Anyway - I was wondering whether anyone out there has any ideas for using a Roland VDrum kit with an SP-505? Whether it be cool ideas for live performance, or even production.

If anyone is using a VDrum kit with any of the SPs, would be great to hear what you're doing. I've become a bit bored of my TD-6, and I think the 505 will help pull some creative ideas when paired with the TD-6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:55 am 
303 Award Winner '09

That's probably one of the freshest and most original way to live sample performances. What could be better then actually being your own drum machine with human swing and live variation with the ability to use an 808 kick instead of an acoustic set. If I were you I would chop up some samples and sequence them in the 505 into long patterns and then just though the beat on a sound system at home and work out what kit you will use to go with the sound and feel of the samples and then just jam to it until you find a break you want to play with it. Then go out to a show and blow some people away on some neo-Questlove shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:12 am 

ok if i've got this right you got yourself an electric drumset right? well if you got midi out you could go midi from your module to your 505. then you could play drumsaples and loops and create a one man band! i think that would be great!

you could do something like the guy:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=187666366

http://kristofferlislegaard.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:01 am 

thanks drsample, good idea there...

kris - yeh i've got an electronic drumkit which has midi out (also have an acoustic kit, which surprisingly doens't have midi out :) )
I barely play them anymore, so am looking for fun and creative things to do with them..

Kamoni looks cool..
I'm tossing up whether to hook my Roland VDrum kit upto the SP-505 (midi), or just go straight to something like Battery with Ableton (with the kit hooked up via midi) - but I stuff around with computers all day at work, so would prefer to see what is possible with the 505...

hmmmmmmm... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:24 am 
303 Award Winner '09

I think the simplicity in design of the 505 will make a live set a little easier than fiddling with a computer on stage, unless you have a dedicated interface for ableton or something a keyboard and mouse aren't very musically intuitive in a production setting let alone a live setting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:34 pm 

unless your Vdrums module send program changes out its midi out you wont be able to trigger the 505 this way :( well...you will abe least be able to play its preset 808 bank at least.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:24 am 

Weird,, I'm sure I posted another reply.. so apologies if it gets doubled up.

I've checked my Roland TD-6 VDrum manual, and noticed it does have Program Change as a valid MIDI output. I'm new to MIDI, so just need to spend some time with it to understand what the capabilities will be when linking the SP-505 to the TD-6..