It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:53 pm

Post subject: SP-404 Questions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:40 am 

Hi all, I've been thinking about buying a sp-404 for a while but before I commit i have a few questions. I'm going to be using the 404 to sample old records mostly and try to make beats out of them.

Can this be done with only the 404 and a turntable, or do I need software or a mixer too? I'd prefer to work with no computer involved unless its for uploading the tracks to the internet or something like that.

Would it be possible to sample myself playing instruments?

do i need a recording interface?

Can I amplify the 404 thru an old tube powered guitar amp (70s twin reverb)?

I own a moogerfooger MuRF wich I use for guitar, could I use this to modulate samples of 404 tracks?

Post subject: Re: SP-404 Questions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:51 am 
303 Award Winner '09

jeefster wrote:
Can this be done with only the 404 and a turntable, or do I need software or a mixer too? I'd prefer to work with no computer involved unless its for uploading the tracks to the internet or something like that.

Yes you can make beats with just a turntable and a 404.

Would it be possible to sample myself playing instruments?

Yes.

do i need a recording interface?

If you have a newer mac you can record into the line in on the soundcard, if you have a cheaper pc or something the soundcard might not be good enough, but you can buy a cheap audio interface online if needed.

Can I amplify the 404 thru an old tube powered guitar amp (70s twin
reverb)?

Yes.

I own a moogerfooger MuRF wich I use for guitar, could I use this to modulate samples of 404 tracks?

Yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:10 am 

Awesome Thanks man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:23 am 

yeh, its possible to do all those things. But i reccommend a simple cheap interface, or even a little multitrack recorder so you can simply just track your songs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:23 pm 

I have a newer mac book, so I could just plug into the sound card and record straight to garageband or audacity right? I will be doing as much mixing as possible on the 404 itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:47 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Yes, that's what I do. Sometimes I record into a one track cassette recorder too, the only other thing you need is an RCA to line in cable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:02 am 

I would recommend you a Numark PT-01 or a Vestax Handytrax turntable.
They're portable and have built-in amp so you don't need a mixer,just plug the line out to the line in of the 404 with rca cables and you're set.
I have a pt-01 and it's dope!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:00 am 

^^^ Yes definitely. You need to get a turntable that has built in pre amps. The kind of turntables you see DJs using will certainly need a mixer and/or pre amp. However, there's loads of consumer level turntables that have built in pres, just try to make sure you get one that has RCA outs (most do), so you won't have to convert any sounds on the way to your 404.

You can use your moogerfooger to manipulate sounds, but only the entire output of the 404. There's no inline effects loop or anything to apply to individual pads. But with a little creativity you can find ways around that. Mainly, you'll just resample all your sounds through the pedal, one at a time, and then build a beat out of those resamples.

You can sample yourself playing instruments, but the 404's internal mic is nothing special. You can get some interesting use out of it, but if you want to record guitar parts or something, you'll probably need a real mic, real mic pre amp, some sort of audio interface and digital audio editing software on you computer. Not trying to discourage you, I sample myself doing this exact same thing. I'm just being realistic.

Playing through an amp will work, but be careful. You don't want to harm your speakers with a bunch of frequency ranges the amp wasn't designed to handle. And it would be a real shame because 70s Twin Reverbs are *immaculate*. Just don't get too loud with it.

All that being said, you have the goods to get going and learn the ropes with what you have. After you know exactly what it is you're going to do musically, you'll be ready to upgrade to better equipment plus you'll have a much better idea of what exactly you'll need. (I for instance don't use a midi controller, but most people starting out end up with one because they buy whatever the guy at Guitar Center tells them to).

Now get to sampling, cuz! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:56 am 

Wow thanks for all thereplies. By far the most helpful forum i've come across. I was thinking about the numark already because of the price but now that I know about the preamp i'll probably get it. I have access to my freinds home studio while I'm not at school so if I can record guitar bass drums, synth keys and glockenspeil (sp?) there and then sample it into the sp404, I may need to take some of the tubes out of my twin if im gonna use it in the dorm tho cus it is LOUD.