It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:11 pm

Post subject: animal collective
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:04 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

I would guess that animal collective are not the king of thing most people on this forum would dig, but I'm a fan.

Dude in the grooop rocks two SPs...I think they're 303s...and here's some concert footage of them in Poland letting their freak flag fly. You can see some tweakin, and hear the way they use 'em.

To me: SPAwesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO5mqJZOUwQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:22 am 

yeh i dig 'em...
i *think* that one of them (panda bear) uses two 303's and other bearded guy (geologist) uses a 404, coupled with a few MD players...
i saw em in belgium a couple months ago and they were great...
they got an interesting approach, thats for sure...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:27 pm 

Yep--Panda Bear of Animal Collective uses two Roland SP 303s for his work in the band as well as his solo album, Person Pitch.

If you're a fan of musicians that use SP samplers, "Person Pitch" by Panda Bear is a must buy. Apparently, the entirety of the album was made by using two roland sp 303s.

Pretty impressive and interesting stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:46 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

cmalnarick wrote:
Yep--Panda Bear of Animal Collective uses two Roland SP 303s for his work in the band as well as his solo album, Person Pitch.

If you're a fan of musicians that use SP samplers, "Person Pitch" by Panda Bear is a must buy. Apparently, the entirety of the album was made by using two roland sp 303s.

Pretty impressive and interesting stuff!

that's awesome! i didn't know that about person pitch. that's one of my favourite albums of the past little while, but i'm gonna listen to it with new ears now.

did you read an interview w/ him about it or something? if so: bring it on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:50 pm 

Theres plenty interview's where he explains how he uses it. basically he has his two 303's and triggers and stacks loops and then he records vocals through it through the reverb and tape delay effect.

With an interview with Pitchforkmedia:

>> Favorite Piece of Musical Equipment

Boss SP-303 "Dr. Sample"
I've been using the Boss SP-303 almost exclusively (besides drums) for three years or so now. I think it's about time to move on, at least focus-wise. But it's been my favorite thing to use without a doubt. I started using two because I liked the idea of being able to mix (DJ) songs that I would do on each of them. Plus I could separate samples and singing and affect them differently (they have onboard effects and a mic input). They're cheap, which is sweet, but it's also been a major hassle in that I've gone through four of them. The 404s look sweet, and Brian from the band has one and seems to be psyched on it, so maybe I'll go for two of those. I liked how the things led me into a new way of writing and performing, even though it was slow in coming. I have to say, I was inspired to use one when I read that Madlib used one. This was after The Unseen came out. I feel like it's only fair to mention him, as I wouldn't be using one if it weren't for him. I remember him saying, too, that they were simple, but if you worked a little you could get a lot out of them, and I'd say he's totally right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:09 am 

hahah

it's funny that panda bear says that about madlib, because panda bear is much of the reason why i just spent 470 dollars on a pair of 303s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:30 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

that's pretty great. i originally used a 202 cuzza cLOUDDEAD. figgered if they can rule so hard...uh...so can i?

after reading yr post about person pitch, i searched youchube and found vids of panda bear playing live and using the double-303s. such a cool set up.

do two 303s, or a 404 plus a 202, equal a 606? i'm not so good at math...heh heh.

thx again for the tip. inspiring to see the toolz used in cool ways!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:00 am 

All you have to do is do some research on what the 606 offers compared to what the 303 or 404 offers.

I don't know what the 606 offers, but simply do the following:

google search or search this website for a list of all of the features available on the 606 and write all of the features down however you'd like to organize it.

Then, simply do the same for 303, but keep in mind you're doubling it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:02 am 

The 'number' of the sampler moreso designates it as that particular model; it doesn't have anything to do with the 'doubling' or 'tripling' of past samplers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:30 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

yeah. i was actually kidding. but that's cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:11 pm 

Check out the video of panda bear and his twin sp303s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMLF6qzfJxs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:44 pm 
Awesome Member

yeah it was a joke about numbers, that's why he said he was bad at maf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:41 am 

fauna wrote:
yeah. i was actually kidding. but that's cool.

One can never tell.