It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 pm

Post subject: Sp404 & MP2kxl combo
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:49 pm 

Not quite sure if this has been discovered already but Any-hooo, this past weekend I've realized that i've been shammin' on posts on the SP. Here it is...

Slave the MP2kxl, and Master the SP404... vinyl-->SP404-->Equalizer-->MP2kxl with this set-up i've found that when you've got a couple pads clear <4 resampling> on SP worx better 2 chop record with adjustments/efx & all.

Tempo Tweaking: record ya sample n2 SP then adjust time/bpm 2 ya liking and + efx, then record to MP.

Chops/Grabs of Long Samples: record sample n2 SP then, take gate function off and leave sample on Loop...at this time ya MP should be on record bcuz as loop plays, use Mark button {once 4 start, again 4 end} to lift sections of sample as it plays in real time. Place sections in sequence u lifted on MP & go 2 work.

hope this proves 2 be useful cuz lawd knows y'all look'd out on a couple joints 4 me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:24 pm 

I wouldnt sample into the 2k. MPC doesnt have alot of life in its sound. If I had both i'd just use the 2k to sequence the 404.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:29 pm 

I got more Zip disks than I do Flash cards, so I'm making use of those Zips. But with what you're suggesting I'd need Midi 2 pull that off tho correct?

if so, fill me in on ya set-up as far as MIdi cuz Me & Midi are like a dog chasing his own tail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:52 pm 

mpc midi out -> sp-404 midi in

set the mpc to master and sp-404 to slave(external)

then look in the sp-404 manual to see what midi channel it responds to,
and make a pattern on the MPC that sends to external channel number that matches the one the sp-404 reponds to.

then you use the notes in the MPC sequence to tell different pads to fire on your sp-404

so instead of having to record patterns and stuff in the sp-404 by hand, you can program it in your MPC and stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:45 pm 

:shock: Thanx 4 the assist I'll try that once I leave work...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:18 am 

Dj Frantic wrote:
I wouldnt sample into the 2k. MPC doesnt have alot of life in its sound.

and it's a shame for the price they go for. i got a 2000 and XL, played with the 1000 and 2500 too. None of them have a very pleasing sound

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:31 am 

cartesia wrote:
mpc midi out -> sp-404 midi in

set the mpc to master and sp-404 to slave(external)

then look in the sp-404 manual to see what midi channel it responds to,
and make a pattern on the MPC that sends to external channel number that matches the one the sp-404 reponds to.

then you use the notes in the MPC sequence to tell different pads to fire on your sp-404

so instead of having to record patterns and stuff in the sp-404 by hand, you can program it in your MPC and stuff

Great advice!

You could then route the output of the MPC thru the line in on the SP404 and you get to use the 404's excellent FX on your MPC's sounds as well!