It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

Post subject: BPM.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:29 pm 

Back once again with another query. Is it necessary to actually use the BPM function on the SP404sx? Or can you just go by ear of how the flow of the beats syncs up, when you're using the re-sample method?

I know this might sound like a dumb-ass question, but unsure as to how to actually use this function and still working on getting to know the 404sx. Please don't advise on me reading the manual as I hear that a LOT! I know it's true, but I like hearing from experienced folk, who've delved into this machine and work in the style of Lo-Fi beat makers such as Ohbliv etc. (I seem to work better that way, rather than reading a book.)

I just hear guys like Knxwledge etc. Drop in their favorite BPM rates to work with and I think it might add better work flow into my beats, if this is necessary tool to work with.

Always 'preciate any pointers, tips. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: BPM.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:24 am 

Maybe someone else can chime in but I think it only matters when it comes to using the pattern sequencer. You can also use it to stretch the samples I guess but you’d probably be better served doing this in a MPC or DAW as the 404s time stretch starts to sound choppy real fast. If you’re just using the resample method get a good head nod going and run with it, or sequence it externally.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:49 am 

tbh honest .. the only time i've found bpm useful is to make drum hits shorter . On other samples .. i don't like . I'd say you're better leaving the sample as it is n go by ear .. unless you've changed the tempo external .. ie turntable

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:14 pm 

I'm sure the bpm function is useful, I've looked into it a few times, but never ended up using it (I've been on the sx for 3 or so years).

I wouldn't mind hearing some of the uses of the bpm function tho, maybe I'm missing out :?:

https://sharris.bandcamp.com/