It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 am

Post subject: SP404a vinyl sampling problems
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:51 pm 

when i sampled off my vinyl it only recorded into the right side of my headphones is that suppose to happen?

when i sample off my vinyl it never comes out full or loud and even with compression its still not loud

line level activated also

Post subject: Re: SP404a vinyl sampling problems
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:52 am 

In most cases, u can’t sample ur turntable directly into ur SP. u will need a phono preamp. U can pic one up on amazon for around $20... or u can get a multi-source receiver or DJ-style mixer for more money.

Not sure about the headphones deal. That can b ur turntables outs... ur SP’s inputs... ur SP’s headphone jack... or ur headphones. Switch stuff around and see what happens.

I like how ur going about things. Vinyl to SP is the way to go... u just need that preamp at the very least.

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:32 am 

Yo, has said above you'll need a preamp to sample from your turntable. Most mixer have an integrated one, as you'll always almost need a mixer for producing it's really a good investment (be sure to check it has a preamp tho !)

For your stereo problem, I had the same kind of troubles until recently. I don't know what's the issue exactly (some vinyls are in stereo, some in mono), if it's my mixer or turrntable but I had a really bad sound quality and stereo issues. The fix was pretty simple: I disconnected one of the turntable's RCA from the mixer and everything was fine. If it doesn't work, you can also try to disconnect one of the SP's RCA when sampling, trying to sample in mono/stereo with one RCA/with both etc... Good luck !

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:30 pm 

saf90 wrote:
as you'll always almost need a mixer for producing it's really a good investment

what do you use a mixer for when you're producing sample based hip hop?
just wondering
i don't have a mixer at all lol and i've been making vinyl sample beats for a few years on my SPs

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:18 pm 

zendan wrote:

I wouldn't say a mixer is NEEDED, but they can be very useful depending on the sound you want & the set up you have.

With respects to sample based hip hop -
1) I use the eq on my mixer (not always, most of the time I'm lazy). But when sampling vinyl, I'll take a little low end out of hi hats, snares, maybe the melody.....I'll take a little high end out of kicks, bass.

2) My mixer also has a nice lo pass & hi pass filter.

3) Dj mixers are great if you want to add a little scratching to your beat.

4) Mine has 2 stereo phono inputs for turntables & 2 stereo line inputs AND an fx send. So if you have a synth, maybe another sampler, maybe a guitar pedal, you can hook everything up to the mixer, than the mixer to your sp & everything is ready to be sampled.

5) I also have a bigger mixer with a few effect sends (I love guitar pedals) & phantom power for my condenser mic (for recording raps, vocals, beatboxing, I also like to record found sounds & stuff like a thumb piano, harmonica, xlyaphone, ect).

If I had to go without my mixers I could, but they are very useful in my setup.

https://sharris.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:34 pm 

that's badass sharris

thanks for enlightening me to the possibilities available with mixers

i really want to learn how to scratch records
just need another nice turntable and a fader mixer

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:31 am 

zendan wrote:
i really want to learn how to scratch records
just need another nice turntable and a fader mixer

Roland DJ-99 and a Numark TT200. That is some cheap quality sh*t to learn on.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:54 am 

zendan wrote:

just wondering
i don't have a mixer at all lol and i've been making vinyl sample beats for a few years on my SPs

I have a mpc with 8 outs and multiple sps, I really like to send the drums through one channel, bass on another one, the sample/melody through the 404 for fx then record the whole on the 303 (not a dj mixer btw)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:35 am 

saf90 wrote:

I have a mpc with 8 outs and multiple sps, I really like to send the drums through one channel, bass on another one, the sample/melody through the 404 for fx then record the whole on the 303 (not a dj mixer btw)

ughhh i want an mpc2kxl sooooo fucking bad :oops: :oops: :lol:

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:24 pm 

zendan wrote:

Shit, you on a MPC?!?! That would be crazy!
I just happened to listen to another one of your beats last night, they always impress me 8)

I think you should invest in a 2000XL AND a dj mixer. Seeing your skate videos & finger board video, I can tell you're someone that picks things up pretty quick... I think you would get scratching down fast.

Personally I STARTED on turntables, back in the 90's I was big into scratching, so for me it made sense to get a dj mixer when I got into making beats.

https://sharris.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:32 am 

Sharris wrote:
zendan wrote:

Shit, you on a MPC?!?! That would be crazy!
I just happened to listen to another one of your beats last night, they always impress me 8)

I think you should invest in a 2000XL AND a dj mixer. Seeing your skate videos & finger board video, I can tell you're someone that picks things up pretty quick... I think you would get scratching down fast.

Personally I STARTED on turntables, back in the 90's I was big into scratching, so for me it made sense to get a dj mixer when I got into making beats.

thank you sharris :wink: :wink: :wink: i appreciate that, and oh man, trust me, it took me years to get that good at skating and fingerboarding... lol
but i do have the dedication as long as it's something i love to do
i've just had a real lack of motivation to do anything lately.... in a real bad slump rn...
you should post some video or audio of you scratching!! that's very cool

question:

if you have two turntables, and a mixer between them, does each turntable need to have its own amp before it goes into the mixer?? or do they go into the mixer, then into an amp afterwards, OR do DJ mixers have amps built in???

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:23 am 

I'm pretty sure all djs mixer have built-in preamp. Just plug your 2 turntable to the mixer "phono in" and it should work. Not the case on "standard" mixer though (mine is a bit old so it might have changed since then).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:02 am 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
zendan wrote:

question:

if you have two turntables, and a mixer between them, does each turntable need to have its own amp before it goes into the mixer?? or do they go into the mixer, then into an amp afterwards, OR do DJ mixers have amps built separate in???

It's pretty straightforward,you don't need separate amps as your decks just go to the phono inputs on each channel of the mixer,then connect the turntables ground wires to the mixers grounding pins and you'll be good to go.

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257