It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:30 am

Post subject: Loading beats into the SP404sx
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:32 am 

Hope I'm not spamming! You guys have been very helpful... :)

I wanna make beats in Ableton Live and move all of them to the SP404sx so I can perform live... so -

1. When you load your beats, do you do them 1 beat per pad or a part of a beat per pad? transitions? any tuts on that?

2. Any good tutorials / practice techniques / tricks for playing live? effect grabs, delays, djfx looper, Isolator, etc...

Sorry if this has been asked before, I was doing search and not so much came up...

Thank you

Post subject: Re: Loading beats into the SP404sx
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:35 pm 

Yo,
What a coincidence, since a month I've been trying to learn how to perform live sets with sps :mrgreen:
So do you only have a sp 404 sx ? I have a og and a sx, and I found out that the best set up from smooth transition was 2 sp + a dj mixer.
Other than that you can organize your live set: -1 beat per pad, but it will be a bit boring
- separate your drum/bass/melody, 1 per pad, this set up will give you more flexibility but require more skill to perform transition
For transition, you can only fade in / out one pad at once using mfx23 (subsonic): knob 2 all the way to the right, knob 3 all the way to the left --> the more you go right the more it will fade. You can also use the delay/tape delay fx for your transitions, or have a turntable stop effect by using the knob 2 on djfx looper (for instance, with the djfx on the 2 beats you want to transition slowly knob 2 to zero on the last 2 beats of a bar --> start beat 2, knob 2 slowly to the right on the first 2 beats) . Another very useful tip is the ghost pad: you may have notice that you need the fx applied on a pad to change the setting (or it has to be the last fx that you used). So if you want to change the settings before applying the fx, have a ghost pad on every bank (with silence record, or volume set to 0). That way you can apply the fx on the pad, change the settings ,and then apply it on the playing pad.

Finally, I don't know if you've learned harmonic mixing, if you do you can set up your banks by compatible scales. So for instance on bank A you'll have 3 beats in 1A (Abm), 3 beats in 2A (Ebm) 3 beats in 3A(Bbm), then in bank b 3 breats in 4A etc... (the remaining pads in each banks are used for ghost pades/vocal sample/whatever you like).
At first it will be a bit hard to be fluid using those techniques, but trust me, with a bit of practice you'll use them without thinking !
Good luck and have fun !

Post subject: Re: Loading beats into the SP404sx
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:50 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NfwRoxLFyc
This video is dope and informative.