It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

Post subject: compression and noise
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:50 am 

i like to use a lot of compression for a pumping effect and my favorite comp is the vinyl sim compression which i use a lot as a master insert of my mixer. but the noise from samples, outboard gear and the mixer is adding up to a massive wall of noise. i like me some noise but its just too much. how should i deal with that? i tried a noise gate but i get some really ugly artifacts.

Post subject: Re: compression and noise
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:44 am 

Yo, you should try to reEQ the sounds once they're on the SP. Noise is usually on the high frequencies so for instance if you cut the highs on the bass/kick that should get rid of some of the noise. For drums/one shot try to keep them as short as possible, sometime I've a lot of hiss behind my snares. Close all inputs on your mixer except the one you need (for instance if you have a computer plugged to your mixer: sample what you need then cut the input). Good luck !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:10 pm 

saf90 wrote:
Yo, you should try to reEQ the sounds once they're on the SP. Noise is usually on the high frequencies so for instance if you cut the highs on the bass/kick that should get rid of some of the noise. For drums/one shot try to keep them as short as possible, sometime I've a lot of hiss behind my snares. Close all inputs on your mixer except the one you need (for instance if you have a computer plugged to your mixer: sample what you need then cut the input). Good luck !

thanks, thats what i usually do. guess my old mackie mixer is just too noisy but as i run out of channels i‘ll get another mixer anyway. hope that helps a little.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:29 pm 

Yea, vinyl sim on the sp shouldn't be causing a wall of noise, it sounds like you have an issue with your signal chain, weather it's your mixer, cheap cables, power source(s) too close to audio input(s) or something wrong with gear....... not sure.

Right now my signal chain goes:
Sample source -->mixer-->Analog Heat-->Kp3+-->sp404sx
I go thru 2 mixers when using vinyl & sometimes add a guitar pedal in the above signal chain & have absolutely NO noise. I HAD noise but once I got rid of cheap shitty cables all noise disappeared.

Not saying cables are your issue, but if I were you I would trouble shoot (switch out cables, don't have anything plugged in to power (batteries only), take mixer out of equation, ect, ect). Do a process of elimination until you find the culprit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:38 am 

Sharris wrote:
Yea, vinyl sim on the sp shouldn't be causing a wall of noise, it sounds like you have an issue with your signal chain, weather it's your mixer, cheap cables, power source(s) too close to audio input(s) or something wrong with gear....... not sure.

Right now my signal chain goes:
Sample source -->mixer-->Analog Heat-->Kp3+-->sp404sx
I go thru 2 mixers when using vinyl & sometimes add a guitar pedal in the above signal chain & have absolutely NO noise. I HAD noise but once I got rid of cheap shitty cables all noise disappeared.

Not saying cables are your issue, but if I were you I would trouble shoot (switch out cables, don't have anything plugged in to power (batteries only), take mixer out of equation, ect, ect). Do a process of elimination until you find the culprit.

thanks sharris, i got a new mixer which is considerably less noisy. still some left tho. will check out cables and power as soon as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:13 am 

It depends on what machines and samples i'm using but there's always some noise that gets boosted when i use the vinyl sim. I tried to avoid the noise for a while and make beats sound clean but finally i gave in and learned to love the noise. Now when i do beats on other boxes i often miss the noise floor. Of course it depends how loud the noise is. Sometimes it can just be a bit too much.