It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 pm

Post subject: I'm very confused
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:35 am 

So, this wasn't happening before, but i have a focusrite Scarlett2i2 that I'm currently trying to use for my new SP-404sx, but whenever I record anything in there now for some reason it's either really muffled or it just clips really bad. Do any of you have any ideas as to why?

Post subject: Re: I'm very confused
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:43 am 

More info please ☺️

When are you experiencing these problems?
(I'm guessing while recording something from your computer directly into SP via external source, if this is the case then I pretty much know the reason why)

What cables /inputs /outputs are you using?
(I remember reading once about a similar problem between the SP 404 and one of the Scarlett sound cards, think it was on gearslutz site, you can always Google it though, turned out that the RCA outs(or ins) on those Scarlett series have been known to cause issues (or something like that, can't really remember, it was a couple of years back), so the solution was switching to XLR - to - RCA cables - which is something I would recommend either way if possible.

Though I'm pretty sure that you are experiencing issues while recording from your computer directly to SP.
Because the inputs are sensitive, and clip easily - well, more easily than you'd expect.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:21 pm 

Well, I'm experiencing somewhat that problem with the RCA cables that you just mentioned(which I wasn't experiencing really before) but also inputing into the computer is a problem and the samples directly from the sd card sound really REALLY quiet for some reason and it's when ever I try to eq them or make them any bit louder that they start to clip and mostly just sound really crappy and give me clinical depression. And from the focusrite headphone jack they sound perfectly fine but my regular old computer speakers just sound bad so idk. I tried sampling from the focusrite back into the sp and then taking from the sd card but still the exact same problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:49 pm 

I have the sx & it clips kind of easy, sometimes I have a hard time getting things loud, but your issue sounds more extreme.

Is the little red light on the sx blinking or just straight red? What I've been doing when sampling into the sx is turning up the sample source loud so the red light blinks, then I bring the volume down on the sample source (whatever is plugged into the sx) until the red light stops blinking & there is no red light (sometimes I let it blink just a little).

You might have to boost the volume later. Sometimes when I resample with eq or compressor or whatever boosts the level in the sx, I'll get a loud pop noise, but it's been awhile since it's happened & it only happens when I try boosting it A LOT. I just had to learn how to work with the sx.

But it sounds like there's an issue in your signal chain, weather it's the sx, cables, your audio interface. Do some troubleshooting, try different cables, record from different sources, ect. ect. If it's the sx hopefully you have a warranty!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:59 pm 

well i had a focusrite solo and had a problem with random clippings and glitches and stuff....
it was really annoying, but i am sure it was the audiocard's problem not of my sp. always happened when recording too
i never found a solution though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:29 pm 

.. not a fan of focusrite . had a few issues myself

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:27 pm 

Yo, I have the same gear, for some reason I always had a bad sound when plugging the sp rca's outputs to the scarlett (muffled and very noisy), the solution is to use the sp's headphone output ! Hope that works for you

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:04 am 

The 2i2 only has mono ins for instruments and stuff so if you record anything stereo in it sounds like junk, lots of phase issues so if you turn it up to where you can hear it you get really distorted fucked up sound. It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that, I didn't read the whole thread but figured I'd chime in just in case that's what's causing your problem.