It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: useful VSTs i've used
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:36 pm 

I've been watching the Yamaha Reface CP.......yea not a vst, sorry, just noticed you guys discussing Rhodes & Mark's..........the demos make it sound pretty good.

I still haven't found a vst instrument I like. I don't know how to explain it other than they sound too fake... even when I think they sound beautiful (of course I haven't heard every vst) & I don't mean to sound harsh, it's the only way I can really describe it...... I think Exhale (by Output) sounds absolutely amazing yet I don't think I would use it.......dirtying some of them up helps...... but I think it's 1 of the reason's I like vinyl samples & recording my own sounds so much....... I like the sounds of real instruments...... love the textures...... the rawness....... I love "organic" sounds. Yet I can still listen to other people's beats that use vst's & like the beats..... but I have a hard time using them myself. Maybe I just haven't found the right one's.......... I'll check out some of what you guys mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:53 pm 

:| :| :| :| :| :|

Last edited by 444 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:31 pm 

oh yea, that totally makes sense.......I get what you mean :)

I'll try that out......I have a few guitar pedals, my sp & an analog heat...... I bet I can get some good results....... I have Maschine & I don't use any of the vst's........ kind of feels like a waste......... I think I'll experiment with some of the vst's I have & run them thru my pedals & stuff....... then go from there.

I like combining samples (vinyl, cassette), found sounds & my hardware synths......... & I think vst's could come in handy....... I could layer drum breaks with some vst drum synth sounds, I could add a vst synth as a backing melody to my chops, or even a vst bassline........ I'm sure if I add effects & combine the vst's with samples it could sound really good. I know a lot of producers do this already........just having a hard time using vst's, but this thread got me thinking more about it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:30 am 

I was considering the yamaha reface cp as well. The rhodes and wurlitzer compared to the actual things are phenomenal for the price. the clavinet sound was cheesy to me. I also dislike the mini keys (for minikeys, they are the best mini keys i played). there is a hidden acoustic piano as well... built in effects like tape and digital delay. wah wah, phaser, chorus etc. you can also feed it to the SP and create your own distinct sound.

Not for me though, personally.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:58 pm 

thesisdrs wrote:
i'm a Universal Audio user. They make the best emulations of Hi-Fidelity hardware! better than Waves IMO..

Words of wisdom, right there. Anything from UAD is awesome and top notch.

Though I do use some of the Waves plug ins too.... I'd say my personal favourites (the one I use most often) are Solid State logic's channel, compression and eq, API compression, Rbass, Rcomp, Rverb, Rvox, Ultramaximizer (this one is a killer imho, used subtly can produce miracles)...

R bass is fkn awesome man... You just turn it ON and that's usually it :mrgreen:

But, I believe it's personal preference most of the time, quick ears and knowledge of what you're doing. I've seen (well, heard to be exact) people doing wizardry with cheap, even integrated plug ins (dunno the exact word in English - those you get with the software, which are crappy most of the time), and contrary to that, I've seen / heard people use expensive gear and plug ins, and still sound like shit.

We have a saying, roughly translated - "In skilled hands, every weapon is deadly". That goes for music without a doubt.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:42 pm 

:| :| :| :| :|

Last edited by 444 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:11 pm 

LoopmantrA wrote:
We have a saying, roughly translated - "In skilled hands, every weapon is deadly". That goes for music without a doubt.

Very true.

I love the textures API provide. Rather it be the compressors or the channel strips. I was thinking of getting a real API Preamp but i'll stick with my presonus.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:46 pm 

Dada Life Sausage Fattener

I abuse this plugin all the time by using it as a simple brickwall limiter, but it can beef up some drums, by adding punch or distortion if you push it harder. Plus it has one very pissed off sausage.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:02 pm 

sometimes, i miss those free vst's for win 32bit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:03 pm 

^ Yeah, a lot of free 32bit plugins are still good.

Prosoniq Northpole Filter was one I used to use all the time for making filtered bass lines. It's pretty gritty resonance filter with envelope, distortion and a delay. It's still floating around the net for free, both win and mac versions. If you can use 32bit plugs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:30 pm 

Used to use a free synth VST named Claw all the time, not sure if it’s still around.

SP-404SX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:30 pm 

EQ550 that I get free from Overloud is good. Looked the price now and wtf, 130U$ lol. I do not have the money to pay, but it really can get shit done.
Tokyo Dawn Nova dynamic eq is good af too, I use the free version. They have some more free stuff, but I didn't use it yet. ISOL 8 is a really fast way to cut and bring back some frequencies.

I have some more good stuff, but I'm sleepy and at work lol.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:13 pm 

Kegeratorz wrote:
Used to use a free synth VST named Claw all the time, not sure if it’s still around.

Here's Claw:
http://www.vstplanet.com/News/2014/Claw ... esizer.htm
A whole 284kb! I'll dig through some bookmarks and post up some sites that still host free plugins later.

This one is a must have, the only free plugin from Izotope, called Vinyl.
It's a vinyl simulator with mechanical noise, wear, electrical noise (buzz/feedback), dust for crackle, scratch for heavy surface scratches, warp depth for wow and flutter. Warp model for changing how the waveform is affected. The Year, 30's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 2000's that will shave off the highs and lows differently. Then rpm speeds 33, 45 and 78. The crackle isn't as good as SP vinyl sim, but you can lo-fi some streaming audio down with the different year modes. Sometimes I throw it on a channel by itself just to add some noise to the rest of a mix.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/cre ... vinyl.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:03 am 

SQ8L
probably my fav
80's yo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:04 am 

Sharris wrote:
I've been watching the Yamaha Reface CP.......yea not a vst, sorry, just noticed you guys discussing Rhodes & Mark's..........the demos make it sound pretty good.

I still haven't found a vst instrument I like. I don't know how to explain it other than they sound too fake... even when I think they sound beautiful (of course I haven't heard every vst) & I don't mean to sound harsh, it's the only way I can really describe it...... I think Exhale (by Output) sounds absolutely amazing yet I don't think I would use it.......dirtying some of them up helps...... but I think it's 1 of the reason's I like vinyl samples & recording my own sounds so much....... I like the sounds of real instruments...... love the textures...... the rawness....... I love "organic" sounds. Yet I can still listen to other people's beats that use vst's & like the beats..... but I have a hard time using them myself. Maybe I just haven't found the right one's.......... I'll check out some of what you guys mentioned.

listening to 70s jazz shit with analog synths (especially like some jazz fusion shit) makes me drool over the depth, warmth, color, presence of real analog synths compared to digital plugins for DAW...
IF ONLY I HAD THE FUCKING MONEY FOR SOM LIKE THAT

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next