It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: useful VSTs i've used
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:44 am 

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :roll:

Last edited by 444 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:27 am 

Is it bye or dookie......i thought i was talkin to dookie :?:
Yea, analog vs digital been dragged apart & talked to death.... its fun to talk about tho.... until it gets out of hand... which it did :!:
Probably cuz so much of it is based on opinions, not everyone is gonna agree.

Im fine agreeing to disagree :)
...im the opposite......i fell in love with analog synths when i actually used a few in my beats & heard them in the mix.

I do agree there are so many diff analog sounds just like so many digital sounds.....i dont like lumpin them together..... which is why i was givin examples of actual synths i have experience with. You mentioned you can't tell the diff between analog & vsts, which is your opinion, you hear what you hear..... & again i dont have a lot of experience with vst's, so i wasnt being specific..... im just interested in hearing a vst that sounds analog.....if it can sound analog in any way, im interested in hearing it.

I know digital can get close but there is a certain type of sound analog has, that i havent heard in a digital synth yet. Doesnt mean digitals bad. & i dont like ALL analog sounds.

Alot of vst's suggested in this thread im checkin out.......

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:52 pm 

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Last edited by 444 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:54 pm 

Great post bye, im gonna check that shit out, thanks!

& I saw all the stuff you played with :wink:
I get it.....ive done the same... you're not here to fight, just here to discuss music & makin beats. Doin what you love!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:49 pm 

please show me a rhodes VST that sounds anything close to the real thing man. you must be partially deaf or something bro; i'm sorry to hear that!

it's not an opinion

ANALOG AND DIGITAL ARE TWO DIFFERENT PHYSICAL FORMS OF SIGNALS

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:55 pm 

You do understand a Rhodes isn't a synth right? You can't emulate an electric guitar either. At least not well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:13 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:24 pm 

:lol: :lol:

Last edited by 444 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:38 pm 

I get what you're saying bye.......

But you said "It would be very hard to hear the difference between vsts and analog synths"

That's the issue I think he's having. Some of the vst's you mentioned, I've heard & I think they sound nothing like the real thing.

Again, it is an opinion...... YOU can't tell the difference.
But there are people that can tell the difference.

And lumping all analog together & all digital together is hard, there are so many different sounds.

I shouldn't even keep this going, I'll stop. You're right this thread is about vst's.....but in my defense....I didn't bring up analog synths....... the above statement got me questioning & I love talkin about it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:55 pm 

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Last edited by 444 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:00 pm 

When I make music I don't care what others hear.... I guess that's the difference too...... I care about how I think it sounds & what it took to get there...... how it makes me feel...... it's cool if others enjoy it too, but it's not a focus of mine. & I need to be proud of what I made in order to share with people....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:30 pm 

It will adds nothing to the conversation, but these guys are cool XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y10AmCiKde8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:14 am 

hey forest, nice video, i didn't know that emu-sampler with keys, amazing.
I'm with zendan, vst and analog are not the same thing, they don't sound the same. I'm doing film photo and we have the same talk with the digital camera users but even if you really well emulate the film camera, it won't never be like a film !
On a film there's the soul of the moment captured on a physical format, there is something special you can't explain, it gives the view of the person who takes the photo and not an objective cold view. Sometimes, the temperature, your feeling or a lot of parameters can affect the film that doesn't affect the digital camera.
The analog synths : same (some old digital/ fm too), the temperature of the chip inside, the way you press the keys or even a little defect on your unit can affect the sound (i mean micro variation, but still...). The quality of the chips and filters are drastically better than on a computer (which at first isn't built for that).
I remember when i was playin on my yamaha DX, after 1 hour of playin with the same patch (and no lfo or something) it could variate a lot because of the temperature.
I remember my OG404 never sounded exactly the same as my friend's one (probably because it was older) / yes ! there are even differences between the same model because sometimes they change the brand of composant (even for a short moment : out of stock) or the value of 1 resistor which can affect the sound on harware and when you use a sampler/synth for +1000hours, the composants are not in the same state than when there are new and people often forget that point.
That's why even if you use exactly the same samplers and machines (but different models) to reproduce exactly the same sound, it won't be exactly the same twice (particulary 30 years after).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:56 am 

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:13 am 

^ Chromeo is dope! Some of their stuff is a little too pop for me, but they got a good sound. They use a plethora of digital and analog synths, hardware and software. Half of the synths in that room are digital. Some even contain both digital and analog components.

I agree with the OP. This thread was ruined with some non-plugin related non-sense. Another 'anal'og vs digital pissing contest discussion.

It silly to debate the authenticity of a synthesizer's sound. Considering the root word means 'to imitate'. Electrical engineers invented them to imitate real sounds, then some crazy hippies realized you can do all kinds of weird shit with them. Today we have an entire spectrum of different quality synths.

I'm no synth guru, but I've been using instrument plugins since they were first created by Steinburg in the 90's. I don't hear anyone in hear talking about waveforms, oscillators, modulation, or any hardcore synthesis in here. I'm assuming that most people that don't like the sound they are trying to obtain out of a synth plugin, are probably just flipping through preset patches that were made for a genre of music that they don't even make. A little knowledge on what the parameters actually do, goes along way when trying to shape the sound of any synthesizer. I have a lot to learn myself.

Soft synths are going to sound cold compared to most analog synths. How you process that sound makes a big difference on what your end product is. I've taken some pretty cheap sounding soft synths for a bass line and stacked the same note across 3 or 4 octaves and played them in unison, run through a tube saturation plugin, chorus plugin, and a compressor plugin and made it sound 100x fatter than it was. Plus you could hear the bass through tiny smart phone speakers and got comments like, "Damn! that bass is sick!" Most of the heavy synth based music made today is made with soft synths.

There are some sample based virtual instrument plugins out there that sample the real thing with crazy expensive mics. They aren't software modeled plugins, but still plugins.

I have to agree with the OP. A lot of analog synths do have a limited sound palette, that why sometimes the people that own them own a bunch of different ones or they're just a gear whore. I recently sold my volca bass because there's not really any sound I could not make on it with the OP-1. The volca is analog, the OP-1 is digital but sounds way better imo. Sure the volca sounded a little more gritty and the filter was probably better than the one on the OP-1, but it wasn't worth keeping for just that. I have plenty of samplers and plugins if I want add dirt to something.

I also have to agree that owning a vintage analog synth is kinda overrated. Sure, I'd love to own one for the rich sound, but people pay $10,000 for a 1970's synth that is only monophonic! Sure, they can sound like they have multiple voices or multitrack, but polyphony is a big thing to me. I don't want to own anything that is limited to one voice at a time, other than maybe a acoustic drum. Owning a vintage synthesizer is a lot like owning a classic car. If you play it regularly one day something is going to break on it. Repair guys for these things are kinda rare. Parts are also rare. You may have a long wait for the guy to track down parts, they may even have to make a lesser quality part for it. The repair bill may cost a good portion of what you paid for the thing. All while the synth is down, it's just serving as a huge paper weight. Owning a rare instrument is dope, but not always worth it. Hence the invention of plugins.

Can we keep this discussion about plugins? And make a new one about digital vs analog/hardware vs software/warm vs cold? Or if you use the search function at the top of this page, there is probably one archived already.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next