It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

Post subject: Trying to extract each individual note from mfx 23
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:32 pm 

So i have a tuner plugged into the headphone jack and im attempting to isolate 1 or 2 octaves worth of bass notes onto a pad bank so i dont have to struggle with the knob for a hundred years every time i wanna use sub bass... anyway i cant seem to tune the knob exactly to any certain note... it seems to be minus 20 or plus 20 hz no matter how i turn the knob... it even seems like The notes change in set intervals as i turn the knob and it doesnt even truly “slide” up and down the full spectrum... my main theory is that the sample that ive selected to be the dummy is somehow affecting the note scale even tho i have control knob 2 turned all the way to the left (constant sub bass) and control knob 3 turned all the way to the right (only sub bass in the mix). If anyone could shed some light that would be great or if anyone has aleady done this and has a better technique.. cuz i like the sub bass tone i just have a hard time using more than a couple notes without mapping it out SP404sx

Post subject: Re: Trying to extract each individual note from mfx 23
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:07 pm 

I really like the sound of subsonic as well & that's a good theory when it comes to the note of the sample affecting the note of the sub. Did you try testing the note of the original sample with the tuner? That should tell you right away if it affects the note of the sub.
To me it seems like the sub always sounds the same no matter what sample I use it on all though I haven't tested it with a tuner.
I wonder if pitch shifting could help get it in key? I know pitch on the sx isn't very good, but on 1 shots & minor changes it doesn't sound so bad.
Or voice trans? Voice trans would def make it hit harder......but when ever I use it I have to bounce to another device to avoid distortion.
I think the trick with sp's is using multiple effects. & finding the combination of effects that work to get the sound you're after.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:29 am 

The sample i used was just a random guitar chord progression i recorded into it with a couple weird chords.. and i think thats whats really affecting it... my next idea is to get a middle c tone or some solid note tone amd just use that as the sample to get the sub bass from... i think the hard anchor might keep it more on

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:27 am 

Teddyp wrote:
The sample i used was just a random guitar chord progression i recorded into it with a couple weird chords.. and i think thats whats really affecting it... my next idea is to get a middle c tone or some solid note tone amd just use that as the sample to get the sub bass from... i think the hard anchor might keep it more on

it doesn't matter what the sample is as long as there is some amount of sound, the threshold is all the way down and balance all the way up

you literally have to move the ctrl1 knob a hair at a time to adjust each note. i use it all the time. have to have a keen ear.

if you adjust the ctrl1 knob it will say pitch (pit), wait a second for "PIT" to disappear, move it a hair, and you will see how close together the ticks of the knob are, there are many ticks of adjustment for each knob, unlike the sp202 and sp303 which have less fine tuning. (less ticks)

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

"If you want that '90s sound, record at 12 bit as HOT as you can."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:54 pm 

i was moving ctrl 1 so slightly that i was noticing i had to move it multiple hairs before the pitch would change at all.. and when it did change it seemed to get close but not perfectly matching proper note pitch up to +/- 20 hz... it still sounds pretty good i got a a full 12 notes out of it on a decently low octave... it might actually sound kinda cool to be a hair off tune... we’ll see

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:31 pm 

It is the knobs... Try moving it a bit too far and then back again. Sometimes it just isn't so accurate going one direction only. Its like you have to go a bit back and forth to find it. Kind of like if you have a guitar with shit tuners on it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:30 pm 

i think its a shame the knotches on the controls arent exact .. but i think with subsonic .. if you keep either cobtrol 2 or 3 on flat ( not sure which of the 2) you can turn the tone up and down like pitch