It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:58 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Different uses for sp effects
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:23 pm 

L0WC0$T_ wrote:
this topic just make me think " i miss my 404" because it's all in the box and so many effects ( i miss vinyl sim, filter, tape echo, reverb , i can resample easily ,e v e r y t h i n g :'( ...
i think it'll stay the best sampler for me because each time i try an other one, i return on 404. [i know it's a bit " off topic " :lol: ]
reverb + phaser / reverb + flanger / delay + reverb on sample ___ pitch + eq or chorus on drums (especialy on hats and snares)___ double vinyl sim on everything___resample on tape___ beatmaking is like cooking ?? :roll:

Everyone is talking about how the 303 Vinyl Sim is better.

How does the SX version comprises the sound different than the 303? I know that the SX has a RNG function for ctrl 1 and some noise generation but that's it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:06 am 

thesisdrs wrote:
:

Everyone is talking about how the 303 Vinyl Sim is better.

How does the SX version comprises the sound different than the 303? I know that the SX has a RNG function for ctrl 1 and some noise generation but that's it.

who talked about 303 (tbh i don't really like 303: the pads, no batteries, the sound...) vinyl sim or SX ?

OG 404 4 LIFE (yes, before SX, there is an OG )

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:05 am 

I know what you mean thesisdrs, I hear that a lot too. I've heard it's the 'wobble' or whatever, the 3rd knob.......I guess it's different.......can someone who has used both the sx or og 404 & the 303 comment on that? How the vinyl sim sounds different on them? I'm curious. Do all 3 knobs do somethin a little different, does it just sound better?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:55 am 

L0WC0$T. I am aware of the OG 404, i just thought you were talking about the SX.

Sharris, I think the ctrl 1 knob on the SX for vinyl sim works as a side chain filter. It applies a fixed ratio on the frequencies you chose... that's what I think anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:08 pm 

I noticed that too (ctrl 1 knob).
I have the sx & I'm considering adding the 303 or 505.
I don't use the vinyl sim on the sx. .......actually I've used it once for the "wobble" or whatever the hell knob 3 is. Don't use the vinyl crackle, never felt I needed more crackle.
I think it sounds pretty good tho.....
I'm just curious how the 404 vinyl sim sounds diff from the 303
(not sure if the og 404 & 404sx have the same vinyl sim).
If the 303 just sounds better or if the ctrl knobs have different functions.
It would be cool to know if any of the other effects sound different/better as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:20 pm 

I heard the OG 404 Vinyl sim is similar to the one on the 303. Unfortunately, I heard not so good reviews for the vinyl sim on the SX. I'd still use it though (like a mastering compressor) add some SX saturation. I don't like the crackles on the SX either. I'd rather use the tubes from my preamps to add warmth.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:06 pm 

Vinyl+SIM+comparison

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24547

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:06 pm 

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:29 pm 

I have a confession to make, and I guess I could put it here.
It is, in a weird way, connected to the subject.
Took me fuckin' SIX MONTHS to realise you can press and hold MFX (with, for example, reverb already pre set) at any time - and then release it at the exact moment when you want it to hit in the track ( snare, I.e.)
Because all other pads (voice trans, isolator, delay, etc) are ON the moment you hit them.
But MFX is ON when you release it
So to me, it felt only naturally to try and hit the MFX like all the other pads - at the moment I wanted to start doing its thing. Said reverb on a snare for example. Well, actually a split sec earlier, so I could hear it prior to the place where I wanted it (hi hats ofc, and I want it on snare ONLY) And that's when I realised it, which is only logical, since you ought to browse through the bank while you hold it.
So now my reverb hits the snare like... Eargasm.
Fuckin' dumbass lol how could I have missed that.
Goes without saying, all of the other efx from the MFX bank sounds more wicked and in place when triggered exactly in place.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:59 pm 

Thanks lif, I think that was the thread I saw, but when it first started.
I looked for it again, but couldn't find it, I must've flew right by it :roll:

LoopmantrA - You can also hold down tap tempo & just tap mfx, delay, voice trans, filter or isolator.......when you tap it, it only applies the effect for how long you hold it......try it out if you haven't.....I think you'll like it even more.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:51 am 

LoopmantrA wrote:
I have a confession to make, and I guess I could put it here.
It is, in a weird way, connected to the subject.
Took me fuckin' SIX MONTHS to realise you can press and hold MFX (with, for example, reverb already pre set) at any time - and then release it at the exact moment when you want it to hit in the track ( snare, I.e.)
Because all other pads (voice trans, isolator, delay, etc) are ON the moment you hit them.
But MFX is ON when you release it
So to me, it felt only naturally to try and hit the MFX like all the other pads - at the moment I wanted to start doing its thing. Said reverb on a snare for example. Well, actually a split sec earlier, so I could hear it prior to the place where I wanted it (hi hats ofc, and I want it on snare ONLY) And that's when I realised it, which is only logical, since you ought to browse through the bank while you hold it.
So now my reverb hits the snare like... Eargasm.
Fuckin' dumbass lol how could I have missed that.
Goes without saying, all of the other efx from the MFX bank sounds more wicked and in place when triggered exactly in place.

lmfao this reminds me of when i first started learning the 404sx, i was so damn dumb with pattern sequencer, i thought you had to deselect a pattern before you could play another one!! so i'd like press the one playing RIGHT before i pressed the one i needed to play at the moment they were supposed to switch... omfg i was so embarrassed for myself listening to my old beats fuck up on pattern switches when i realized it automatically switches patterns. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

"If you want that '90s sound, record at 12 bit as HOT as you can."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:28 pm 

When I first got the sx, I heard that the sequencer didn't have an undo. This guy was bitchin about it like it was a big deal. So I thought that meant you couldn't delete any samples once laid down in the sequencer (I mean if you can delete what you laid down, that's basically undo, so I assumed I couldn't). For a YEAR when using the sequencer, if I wanted to redo a sound or whatever, I started completely over cuz I didn't know I could just delete the single sample. It made me not use the sequencer, I only made beats in resample mode. Then, 1 night playing around with the sequencer I stumbled across being able to delete samples & I was so mad at myself. I realized then, to try things for myself before listening to other people & that even beat makers can be whiny bitches.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:34 am 

How about MFX 21 ?
I don't use it as a pitch shift that much, but I love using it on one shot samples (either cymbals or snare) - sort of like octave down echo, with a rich ambience and dark sounding trail.
CTRL 1 around 10 o'clock, CTRL 2 all the way to the right, and balance (CTRL 3) accordingly, but I usually put it at 12 o' clock, just to have the original sample sound come through as well.
It adds a bit of time stretch (well, duh) so I find it more usable than mere pitch shift (though I use it as a pitch shift also, just not nearly as much)
For me it works great while doing the transition between different parts of the track (I.e. Chorus to verse) - sounds evil as fuck when placed on crash, hihats or chimes (the latter by far my favourite. There's even a chime sample on the SD card you get when you purchase the SP, one of the few I didn't delete).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:11 pm 

Sharris wrote:
Thanks lif, I think that was the thread I saw, but when it first started.
I looked for it again, but couldn't find it, I must've flew right by it :roll:

LoopmantrA - You can also hold down tap tempo & just tap mfx, delay, voice trans, filter or isolator.......when you tap it, it only applies the effect for how long you hold it......try it out if you haven't.....I think you'll like it even more.

took me forever to realize that the mfx button works like that too... didnt know about the tap tempo button.... total game changer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:44 pm 

Yea, have fun!
You get a lot more control over the effect.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next