It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:35 am

Post subject: Different uses for sp effects
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:02 pm 

Does anybody use effects on their sp in a different way than what it was intended for & had good results?
Try out voice trans on kick & bass samples if you want them to hit harder (it seems to do more than just raise the level). Turn the knob on the right & the knob in the middle all the way right & put the left knob (next to volume) at 12 o'clock (straight up).
I'll admit when first doing this I used it on a sub bass sample I made by running a Volca Kick (analog) thru an Analog Heat, so it was already hittin hard, but I tried it out on different bass & kick samples & pretty much got the same result. It didn't distort until I resampled it, but I was on the 2nd resample.
There was a little air in the sample from the Analog Heat distortion, so I resampled with the filter 1st (the 404sx lo-pass filter is great for removing air & fizzz), the filter might've added to the result, all though the only thing I noticed when using it was the air was gone (I use it a lot for this), but once I put the voice transformer on......woooooh! My brain was rattlin!

Post subject: Re: Different uses for sp effects
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:48 pm 

Well since you mentioned - I do use voice trans on drums, usually within the song to add more balls during the chorus for example.
I set the Ctrl1 to anything between 9 and 11 o'clock, and then I play around with the Ctrl2 and CTRL3 - though I've noticed that most of the time I just crank them all the way up to the right.
Best results are almost always when the CTRL1 is at 11 o'clock, and 2 and 3 all the way to the right.
Also use MFX chorus - but for the entire track - with the rate set to almost undetectable - it gives me a great dynamic' jump'.

There should be no rules, really. Anything goes.
I love using analogue pedals,I hook them up to just about anything - from mics to turntable (numark pt01 scratch) - the results are maybe not always overwhelming, but some of my greatest trips came from jerking around with the knobs - BUT it most certainly helps if you know what you're doing, if not what the end result could be.
As in - you are well acquainted with the effects parameters

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:46 pm 

yo . yea man that voice transformer is nice on drums . a bit different to pitch shift cos it holds the depth and fattens kicks (if you lower the tone)

. tremelo on pads/ string sounds to give them an eerie twang . note you need multiple layers of same sound on diff octaves (1 secret not many people use) and different tremelo rate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:32 pm 

I'll mess with the ctr 1 knob more with voice trans, it makes sense that a little lower would work better on deeper sounds. I need to play with tremolo & chorus more, thanks for the tips.....
Yeah I hook my pedals up to everything too, I get lost makin sounds....I recently got an ms-20 mini (if you like dirty dark & mean, you'd love this synth), well the output jack is a little wiggly & when I accidently tapped it, it made the coolest scratchy noise....so I got distracted wigglin the output for who knows how long makin crazy noises, twistin knobs on the guitar pedals with no purpose & then it hit me I should probably stop or was gonna break it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:43 am 

^^^

:lol: :lol: :lol: ..

yes . it comes to a point where you develop your own chain of 'go to ' fx . doubling up also can give unnexpected results .

chorus is a nifty tool . why i won't explain . best used sparringlyin my opinion .

some fx i only use 1 control and turn the other parametres to flat (or dry). theres so much you can do to audio .

most SPs are likely having several guitar pedals in 1 ..

.. for example . you could pay £70 (90~) for a single reverb or distortion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:39 am 

THEGREAT wrote:
most SPs are likely having several guitar pedals in 1 .... for example . you could pay £70 (90~) for a single reverb or distortion

True that. As a matter of fact, if you want a proper, true bypass pedal, with no humming/hissing/buzzing and with rich control options - I'd say it's more in the neighbourhood of 100$ +
:mrgreen:
But I do have loads of them (been playing for almost 20yrs now), so it's easy transition for me. When I don't like it, I just place it back on the shelf to eat dust.
9/10 times I go for modulation or time efx, because when you play around with the sound by cranking the knobs in real time - you get some unique results.
What I'm interested in is getting a brutally small pedal or processor (Pandora or one of those HoTone series) and permanently linking it to Numark pt01 scratch.
Delay ofc. Digital ofc. (more than 1 second delay time).
Could be great if I could use more efx as well (that's why I mentioned Pandora) - but delay is a must.
I could (and I DO that) hook the numark pt01 to the SP and use its efx, but I really like it to be divided, as in - more versatility.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:36 am 

yes i do.

i use MFX16 all Knobs full left for "too thin" drumbreaks/beats - that effect makes them rock solid on the OG404

then i often use MFX21 as a Lowpassfilter on OG404

those two are the most "misused" effects for me - they work great (not every time tho).

https://youtu.be/P4wTn6x_vpA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:42 am 

aha . funnily enough . TC Helicon do a vocal pedal called Mic Mechanic . some very nice delay on there . echoe type effect + a slight compresdor and tone brightner .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:05 am 

ZOOM CDR baby!
Chorus+Delay+Reverb, stereo ins/outs, small, effective... I already see it taped to the side of the Numark xD
Couple of things though :
- I really don't like cheap guitar processors, more trouble than quality results, but - this baby is strictly Chorus/Delay/Reverb, no ridiculous cheap zoom distortions etc, so maybe I'll give it a try. Which brings us to :
- Still a bit pricey, though... I'd say my religion won't allow me to give more than a hundred bucks on a ZOOM processor :mrgreen: and this one is still substantially expensive here (around 160$ with the adapter), so I'm still wagging on it.
Like those stereo ins/outs though, man....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:32 pm 

Couldn't agree more about the zoom ms70cdr. This pedal is DOPE :
- there are countless effects : reverbs, delays, chorus, filters, compressors, eqs...
- a few effects sounds really good, a few are a bit weird, most them are just ok BUT LADIES & GENTLEMEN you can use more than 5 effects simultaneously and that. Is. CRAZY.
- you can tweak on the fly with a few controls and easily change the order of each fx in the chain.
- it sounds really good on synth. On samples, well, it depends on the sample, of course. But hey, between two samplers, it's a dream come true.
- the pedal is cheap : 100 euros here in France.

Maybe the main con is the time you spend trying all the fx and the combinations ^^

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:25 pm 

^^ Damn... There goes my paycheck lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:33 pm 

I have the zoom G1Xon and I love it. Not the highest quality effects but like ms70 you can use 5 or 6 different effects at a time and change stuff around the signal chain around however you want. You can also just use one effect at a time which is super handy when you just need a phaser or delay or whatever. It also has a nice looper and you can save a ton of presets. The only thing that sucks is that it doesn't have an on/off switch, it just turns on when you plug into the input but for the price they are awesome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:14 pm 

I have a Zoom G3 pedal, I know you can use at least 6 effects at a time (or just 1 or 2, ect. & it can be bypassed as well), I paid $110 (used but mint condition), mono in, stereo out & I really like it. If you want a multi effects pedal & don't want to pay a lot, Zoom seems to be good value for the money. The G3 is small & battery powered, so it normally lives on my coffee table with my "playin on the couch" gear.
It's just......I don't know, I'm starting to look at pedals that do 1 thing really well rather than pedals that do a lot of things......subpar.
I've had the G3 for a few years now, the Boss Me-50 as well, I like them both & don't want to sell them, but might add the DigiTech Obscura (delay) to my collection. I WAS looking at Strymon Timeline or El Capistan, love the way they sound, but I don't know how I feel about paying more for the pedal than the gear I would use it with.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:15 pm 

Sharris wrote:
It's just......I don't know, I'm starting to look at pedals that do 1 thing really well rather than pedals that do a lot of things......subpar.

This.
Totally.. And you can tell it with distortions and overdrives (delays, reverbs and modulation efx in general are usable) - literally sounds like fart. Or you can compress /noise reduction the crap out of it, but then it just sounds squished.
That's why zoom cdr got my attention, but there are some usable cheap devices out there - say T. C. Electronics 'the Prophet' delay is on top of my list, either that or Electro-Harmonix 'Echo1' - also solid, long delay, and good price for the buck.

On the other hand, both Zoom G1on and DigiTech Element (same price range, similar specs - though zoom, allegedly, has higher bit rate and better A/D/D/A conversion) seem nice.

Personally, I'd always go with one pedal that does the job, but - Once again - zoom cdr does seem tempting as fuck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:30 pm 

Also this
https://youtu.be/nPmF3dBBXZw
Ravish Sitar (Electro-Harmonix)
This thing is a killer for drones and landscape noise..
I noticed it long ago, was waiting for the price to drop, but no way man... It's still around 300$
Great pedal though.