It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:11 am

Post subject: Re: Engineering Sounds
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:02 pm 

Sharris wrote:
I'm personally not a fan of the time stretch on the 404sx, I've used it a few times on drum loops I've made in resample mode (it works well with minor time changes on drums), but I haven't really used it as an effect...... I bet you could make some interesting sounds with it....it makes the sound wobble.

I've used time stretching as an 'effect' in MPC's, I like it a lot on hi hats as well. & cymbals. Slowing the bpm way down brings in some interesting artifacts.

& I agree, the pitching on the 404 sounds unique, it seems to work more as an effect than a natural pitch change.... especially when you mess with the feedback........the voice transformer can make interesting sounds too.

Good stuff!

Yeah not much of a fan of the time stretch on the 404sx either. the pitch shift on the 404sx sounds muffled to me. I usually use the djfx looper and try using the ctrl 1 knob to try to get the sample just right (less choppy)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:44 pm 

I've tried that trick a few times, pitchin down with the djfxlooper & thought it sounded pretty good, but I couldn't get rid of the choppy noise......I wonder if it works better on 1 shots....not loops? Some guy made a video showing how to do it & I got all excited, but I couldn't get it to sound right. I only messed with it a few times tho.

By the way, Thesisdrs, I checked out some of your beats on bandcamp, I like your style. I listened to a few on Lost-n-found & Rough Copy, also checked out Lyrical Swordsman. I really liked Lyrical Swordsman (your other beats were good too)! I can tell you got real love for this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:58 pm 

.. time stretch on the 404 . if you record your own drum hits . speeding up the samples slightly can give a more effective attack response

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:29 pm 

If anything I try to pitch down only on the SP. ill speed up the records like producers used to do it with the SP1200. Give thanks sharris. most of those beats were made on the Maschine MK2. only one beat was made on the SP404SX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:44 pm 

Nice.....I recently got the Mk3, I'm lovin it. The Mk3 (probably the same with the Mk2) really feels like I'm just using hardware, but I get the power of software.

Another tip: Leave space for other sounds.
I love drums & when I first started making beats I wanted to make "complicated" drum rhythms. So I would fill all the space up with my main kick & snare then add crazy hi hat rhythms over it. But it always sounded...... not good. Once I started leaving space for other drum sounds (congos, cymbal, claves, ghost kicks, ghost snares, ect) it made a huge difference. This tip isn't about making the sounds themselves & might be obvious to some, but it really made a difference in my beats. Just leaving space for other sounds, same goes with melodies.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:59 pm 

I never really looked at the cpu screen when i used the MK2. Maschine probably is the fastest in regards to chopping up samples. I love its workflow but I hate how it was eating up my CPU usage... So i switched to the sp404sx. Funny enough i was considering the SP before i got maschine but the tutorials i seen for the unit discouraged me. Now that I have it i wished i had the SP sooner... but Maschine helped prepare me for the SP.

You always have to leave space for different sounds. Thats why tools like Panning, EQ and Compression (Sidechain) were made. I have Universal Audio's Apollo Twin Duo which came equipped with the Pultec EQ1A... When you boost and Attenuate a specific frequency, it actually created a dip in the bandwidth to leave space for other sounds to fit within that frequency.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:56 pm 

ah yes .. subtractive mixing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:50 pm 

Yeah, panning, eq, sidechaining.....great tools for creating space as well.
I'm gonna check out Universal Audio's Apollo Twin Duo....sounds like it might be able to help with muddy mixes. I love deep & dark sounds, but things get muddy quick.

& I agree, I love how fast you can chop with Maschine, it has a great workflow, but eats up CPU usage.

It's amazing how many uses the 404sx has in my studio, it's the most used piece of gear I have, I use it with everything. & it's a lot of fun to play with. I've been thinkin about getting a 505 or 303 for a while now, but havin a hard time deciding which one. I need more sp in my life.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:27 pm 

lol . both 505 and 303 have features that might lead you in either direction

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:54 pm 

Sharris wrote:
I'm gonna check out Universal Audio's Apollo Twin Duo....sounds like it might be able to help with muddy mixes. I love deep & dark sounds, but things get muddy quick.

There are emulations out there that can accomplish the same thing... Albeit The Apollo Twin Duo Emulates Some of the greatest equipment ever used in the history of music. I also bought it so I can use it's DSP instead of using up my CPU. I remember going on instagram and seeing other cats studios and I always seen that silver box.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:56 pm 

THEGREAT wrote:
lol . both 505 and 303 have features that might lead you in either direction

I would love the 303 just cause of Dilla Dawg.. but i'll stick with the 404SX... I like how it's battery powered so I can make beats anywhere like I seen Nick da 1da do on youtube :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:35 pm 

I'm definitely keeping the 404sx, love the battery power too......I just like it so much, I've been thinking about a 2nd sp. Yeah, features of both pull me back & forth....been researching for a few years & haven't decided yet.

I checked out the Apollo Twin Duo and whoo! It costs some money! I've heard a lot of good things about it tho. I'm gonna look more into it.....it seems like it would be worth it, especially since I have a lot of outboard gear that I'm using with software now. Thanks for the info

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:56 am 

Wait, can't you just pitch something and then turn time stretch off so it doesn't sound like trash? I saw that the sp-202 did the same thing on the sp-202 manual, but idk.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:07 am 

Sharris wrote:
I'm personally not a fan of the time stretch on the 404sx, I've used it a few times on drum loops I've made in resample mode (it works well with minor time changes on drums), but I haven't really used it as an effect...... I bet you could make some interesting sounds with it....it makes the sound wobble.

I've used time stretching as an 'effect' in MPC's, I like it a lot on hi hats as well. & cymbals. Slowing the bpm way down brings in some interesting artifacts.

& I agree, the pitching on the 404 sounds unique, it seems to work more as an effect than a natural pitch change.... especially when you mess with the feedback........the voice transformer can make interesting sounds too.

Good stuff!
Monophone wrote:
Wait, can't you just pitch something and then turn time stretch off so it doesn't sound like trash? I saw that the sp-202 did the same thing on the sp-202 manual, but idk.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:01 pm 

You can pitch on the 404sx, but it's not a 'natural' pitch change, it's more of an effect (even if you turn the feedback off). Voice trans pitches as well, but again it's more of an effect, even if you don't mix it with the original pitch (the right knob allows you to mix the original pitch with the new pitch) Imo both sound cool, but not natural. You can use the DJFXLooper to pitch down, but not up...it sounds ok with minor pitch changes...actually I think this changes the tune (slows it down as well). I like it on 1 shots, I messed with it yesterday & it added artifacts, but I liked it.
I've heard that the 202 pitch is superior to the 404sx pitch (I could def hear the difference watching Youtube vids & heard others mention this as well). Not sure about the og 404. I'm pretty sure the 303 pitch is superior to the 404sx pitch as well.