It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

Post subject: Using resampling for making more than one pattern
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:09 pm 

So I've tried to make a beat today on the OG SP404 and what I tried to accomplish was the following:

Using resample method to first make a sample loop
Then using resample method to make a drum loop (assigned to a different pad than the sample loop of course)

However what happens is when I press resample while listening to the sample loop, it stops and thus I am playing my drums "blind" (without being able to hear the sample loop that I am trying to match my drums to).

Is there a way to record this way or do I need to record both drums and sample at the same time no matter what? I tried using the pattern sequencer too and ran into the same issue.
Any help is appreciated :)

Post subject: Re: Using resampling for making more than one pattern
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:46 am 

this shouldn't be a problem with the pattern sequencer because you can just lay the loop down to record your drums over then delete it after you finish the drums? i always use pattern sequencer for my beats! you always know you have the correct tempo, and it's much easier to fix your errors in sequencing and make complex songs! also, quantization is very useful for things you need to hit exactly on beat!

another cool thing about pattern sequencer is that you can copy patterns, so you don't have to re-record the entire thing if you want to slightly alter it for a different pattern

OH AND you can still add/remove FX to the things you sequence in pattern sequencer!!! you can't do that with something that is already resampled!

or say you have already finished your entire beat in pattern sequencer, but then you say to yourself, "i really don't fuck with this snare."
you can just go to that pad and replace the sample on it with a different one!!! BAM new snare!

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:45 am 

Thanks mate! I'll try and check that out :)

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:17 am 

Are you applying the loop setting onto the pad you want looped? The loop button should light up when you press the pad that you want to loop. Also, you may want to make sure all your samples are in mono because of limited polyphony. If you max that out, the sp will cut out a pad.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:27 pm 

Bandit Lu wrote:
Are you applying the loop setting onto the pad you want looped? The loop button should light up when you press the pad that you want to loop. Also, you may want to make sure all your samples are in mono because of limited polyphony. If you max that out, the sp will cut out a pad.

the SP404 has 12 voice polyphony, but you can only resample 2 pads at once.

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:31 pm 

zendan wrote:
another cool thing about pattern sequencer is that you can copy patterns, so you don't have to re-record the entire thing if you want to slightly alter it for a different pattern

my bad btw, the SP404SX has this feature, but i don't think the OG does

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:40 pm 

zendan wrote:
Bandit Lu wrote:

the SP404 has 12 voice polyphony, but you can only resample 2 pads at once.

Wtf damn I didn’t now that. I had most of them except the og404.
The 303 has more resampling capabilities than all of its successors.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:23 pm 

I really appreciate all the replies.

I am going to test out all the suggestions. I think it might be the polyphony issue, however it still just seems a bit odd.

Hopefully i'll find a way with the pattern sequencer, in fact I think I have an idea when it comes to that.

Much love

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:31 pm 

Bandit Lu wrote:

you referring to that EXT SOURCE resampling capability?? yeah that shit is badass

i've never had the opportunity to use one before, but the sp555 has a feature called "loop capture" that actually prolly blows any other sp out of the water as far as sampling capability goes!

btw by "two pads at once" i mean when resampling, only two pads can be pressed simultaneously. so you can resample as many pads as you want onto a new pad as long as only two are playing simultaneously at any given moment

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:44 pm 

Bandit Lu wrote:

almost forgot to reply. Yes I am applying loop to the pad i want looped.
The thing not in mon is the sample and we're talkin 8 chops. Each of which are rather short (a few seconds, longest being around 4-5 seconds). Do you think this is the issue? I have my drums in mono and it's only kick snare and hihat.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:06 pm 

Baft Dastard wrote:
Bandit Lu wrote:

The thing not in mon is the sample and we're talkin 8 chops. Each of which are rather short (a few seconds, longest being around 4-5 seconds). Do you think this is the issue? I have my drums in mono and it's only kick snare and hihat.

If it’s 12 voice polyphony max and you’re using 8 chops in stereo, that means you’re using 16 voices and maxing out the polyphony.

If you want to keep it in stereo and use resampling, you’ll just have to dub it again.

Think of resampling like using a 2-track where you just keep overdubbing. If you run out of polyphony just start with the kick and snare, then resample again and add high hats.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:12 pm 

zendan wrote:
Bandit Lu wrote:

you referring to that EXT SOURCE resampling capability?? yeah that shit is badass

i've never had the opportunity to use one before, but the sp555 has a feature called "loop capture" that actually prolly blows any other sp out of the water as far as sampling capability goes!

btw by "two pads at once" i mean when resampling, only two pads can be pressed simultaneously. so you can resample as many pads as you want onto a new pad as long as only two are playing simultaneously at any given moment

Yeah the 555 is beast but the loop capture time was too short for what I needed it for. I ended up gifting it away. The 303 is the goat for me.

But the 555 has that cheat code compressor efx tho lol. I think it was b5. It just made everything knock hahaha but also makes everything loud af.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:23 pm 

Bandit Lu wrote:
Baft Dastard wrote:
Bandit Lu wrote:

If it’s 12 voice polyphony max and you’re using 8 chops in stereo, that means you’re using 16 voices and maxing out the polyphony.

If you want to keep it in stereo and use resampling, you’ll just have to dub it again.

Think of resampling like using a 2-track where you just keep overdubbing. If you run out of polyphony just start with the kick and snare, then resample again and add high hats.

Oh shoot that's a good explanation. This is definitely the source of my troubles then!

I love how helpful you guys all have been, seriously. I have had very little luck finding answers on other forums and in general. You may have saved me many hours!

So what I think I am going to do as a solution is record the drums into a pattern, then try to add the sample

if it doesn't work I'll probably redo the sample in mono, as I lost a chop anyway last night when i accidentally deleted the wrong pad xD

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:35 pm 

You can try resampling your melody loop and just adding the highhats only or the snare only to keep tempo. Then resample again with the rest of your drums. Lookup “sp303 resampling method” on YouTube and you should be able to find some good examples of the resampling workflow and diff approaches which can apply to the 404 too.

If you’re into really swing heavy or wonky beats, resampling method can really deliver that type of flavor cause it’s free of any sort of grid. Other than that it’ll sharpen and clean-up your chops and timing real nice.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:59 pm 

Bandit Lu wrote:
You can try resampling your melody loop and just adding the highhats only or the snare only to keep tempo. Then resample again with the rest of your drums. Lookup “sp303 resampling method” on YouTube and you should be able to find some good examples of the resampling workflow and diff approaches which can apply to the 404 too.

If you’re into really swing heavy or wonky beats, resampling method can really deliver that type of flavor cause it’s free of any sort of grid. Other than that it’ll sharpen and clean-up your chops and timing real nice.

awesome man, I do really like swing and flavor when it comes to beats yeah, thats why i was hoping to use resample method originally. I'll try out what you're describing as well I think. I still need some time to get used to/aquainted with all the 404's limitations, I usually work in a DAW with Maschine MK2. But been wanting to do some really lofi stuff for a while now.