It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am

Post subject: 404 lofi setting vs. 404sx lofi setting
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:14 pm 

i'm looking into to getting either an og 404 or an sx for the sole purpose of using the effects on already completed beats on ableton. i'm aware of the lofi setting that is available on each console, but i read on an old forum that the lofi setting is easier to use on the sx than the og. this guy was saying, on the sx, it's as simple as just pressing the lofi button; but on the og you have to resample to another pad when you want the lofi effect applied. this wasn't confirmed by anyone else in the thread and i couldn't find anything else about this on other threads so i thought i'd ask.

since i'll almost exclusively be using the 404 for live effects on completed beats, is the sx a better option? and is it also the better options in my circumstance for other reasons? i have the opportunity to get an og for 200 on craigslist so i'd rather go with that one, but i thought i'd inquire before making the purchase.

thanks for any help. this is my first post so let me know if there's a better forum to post this into.

Post subject: Re: 404 lofi setting vs. 404sx lofi setting
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 pm 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

Welcome annodatum,

It's true, you can change any sample on the fly to LOFI on the SX by hitting the LOFI button while the sample is playing, but it doesn't sound the same as recording it with LOFI activated to begin with. To me it sounds too clean, mostly just the same but with a tinny grainy sound over the higher frequencies. On the OG, with MFX14 (LOFI) you have a lot of freedom to tweak your settings... you can set it the way you like, and the OG will remember those settings for that effect even if you switch back and forth to different FX. I'd suggest the OG (and for other reasons besides that).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:30 pm 

Quote:
Welcome annodatum,

It's true, you can change any sample on the fly to LOFI on the SX by hitting the LOFI button while the sample is playing, but it doesn't sound the same as recording it with LOFI activated to begin with. To me it sounds too clean, mostly just the same but with a tinny grainy sound over the higher frequencies. On the OG, with MFX14 (LOFI) you have a lot of freedom to tweak your settings... you can set it the way you like, and the OG will remember those settings for that effect even if you switch back and forth to different FX. I'd suggest the OG (and for other reasons besides that).

ok thanks that helps a lot. i definitely want a dirtier sound.

what are some other reasons you prefer the og? i've heard that it also has a better vinyl sim

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:03 pm 

annodatum wrote:
Quote:

what are some other reasons you prefer the og? i've heard that it also has a better vinyl sim

404 OG:

+BETTER VINYL SIM : TRUE

-DIRTIER THAN SX

-SLOWER THAN SX (I THINK EVEN ON THE PADS : NOT THE SAME FEELING, THERE'S A LITTLE LAG IN OG THAT I LIKE)

+EFFECTS SOUNDS BETTER (IN MY OPPINION)

-LESS MEMORY