It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

Post subject: SP 303/404SX setup advice
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:44 am 

Hello. Brand new here, & welcome to take any knowledge and advice. Currently thinking of getting a SP combo. What does everyone think of this combo, and what would u use for as the main sampler? I'm just curious on what everyone would think how this setup would be like?

Post subject: Re: SP 303/404SX setup advice
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:28 pm 

I'd get the only sp303 first to see how you like it. If you feel comfortable with it and want more pads, fx, storage, and a faster machine then add a sp404sx later.

Some people can't vibe with the sp303. But if you're just using it for the vinyl sim and ext-resampling it's a diff story.

There're NO reasons why these 2 machines would not work together.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:42 pm 

Thank u^ yeah I just want to basically have the rough draft beat on the SP and record everything out to Ableton Live to do some specific effects and automation, I just thought SP 303 + 404sx, some drums/samples on either 2, I just want to experiment the lo fi (303) and effects (404sx) on both samplers to get some ideas going

The thing is though, is just I want a complete sampling setup to learn off of (I know the ways of sampling) and be set for awhile, do u think the 303 by itself is good enough? Or will the 404sx combo add more fun? And there's always the MPC (either 2500/1K) + SP (either 303/404sx).

Advice is always welcome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:55 pm 

Your mileage may vary and this is just based off of my own experiences. But if you have the funds to get them both, you should just do it to see what's up for yourself.

If you already have Ableton live, you'll run into a lot of redundancies in tools.

- I've found that Ableton Live and MPC's are more visual heavy in sample editing. As in you can see the waveform and grid and really fine tune everything

- There are no visuals when chopping on the SP's. This results in your beats and arrangement sounding more raw

- The sp303 is a very capable machine on its own. It is slow and low on memory but I've made many songs on it and just bounce the audio to Live to mix/master. You can also resample external inputs with the internal audio playing.

- The sp404sx is a much faster machine with more fx but cannot resample external with internal playing. That may be a deal breaker for most people. I also feel like it is geared towards live performances. It's basically the sp303 on roids without the one thing i mentioned above. It can basically do everything a sp303 can do but much faster.

- What makes the sp404sx fun compared to other tools are the FX and how hands-on it is. The SP303 is too slow and clunky live performance wise.

- Sampling is sampling, you can use any of the tools mentioned here independently to learn sampling. They are all fun to use in their own way. If you plan to just sample records and not do any live recording of instruments, the 404sx will be more fun and less frustrating.

:mrgreen:

Last edited by 444 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:58 pm 

Thank u so much man, just what I needed