It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 pm

Post subject: Sp 404 og vs Sp404sx
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:08 pm 

I am trying to decide between the og or the sx. I was hoping some of you catz with knowledge on em both could shed some light on the subject and make it easier to choose. Through abit of research it has become apparent the og supposedly has a warmer sound but the sx has better/faster workflow and capabilities. I already possess an mpc 2500 which I could use for the technical aspects so the limitations of the og wouldn't be too much of a hindrance. Is the sound of the sx really different in quality compared to the og?

Last edited by Valiant Thor on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Sp 404 og vs Sp404sx
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:53 pm 

This thread from a couple weeks ago>
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23493

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:32 pm 

Thanks man I think I am gonna cop the sx.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:15 pm 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

I had an SX but after discovering that the main features I use my 404 for weren't included, I sold it and got a third 404og...

SX pros:

More flexible sequencer
some FXs sound nicer/smoother
faster processing
more storage

SX cons:

noticable hiss added to low pass filter/quieter samps
No NINJA CHOPPING!
vinyl sim not as good

OG Pros:

Ninja chop
vinyl sim
MFX21 slept-on LPF
32-64mb CF cards are able to be read, samples loaded from SP to MPC :mrgreen:

OG Cons:

Slower workflow with sequencer
slower processing (talking milliseconds though)
the more you resample, the more high frequencies seems to cut out

The OG pros are why I like it better.... really, it's nice to be able to tweak samples in the 404 and load them up into the 2500 (and vice versa) with no generation loss.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:04 pm 

"the more you resample, the more high frequencies seems to cut out"
??? I never noticed that
NINJA CHOPPING
??? What is it ?

SX=CLEAN SOUND
OG=WARM SOUND

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:33 pm 

kel wrote:
OG Pros:

MFX21 slept-on LPF

This is still on the SX but it's not 21 anymore.

kel wrote:
SX cons:

noticable hiss added to low pass filter/quieter samps

I've never noticed any hiss added with the filter at all. However the random noise added (which sounds kind of like bitrate noise) when you drop your samples to like sub-10 is very very bizarre and I'm as confused as anyone about that. However I don't really think there's any reason you'd actually need to make samples that quiet.

kel wrote:
SX cons:

No NINJA CHOPPING!

I've always thought the sample parameter 'upgrades' from 303 to 404 to 404SX was rather curious. 303 = Mark, Reverse, Start, End all keep playing the sample, 404 = Start and Mark keep playing the sample but End and Reverse restart, SX = all of them restart. The best I can figure is that they kept trying to jam way too many features into the box for its memory and had to cut more esoteric features (along with 303 resample ext in). However on the 303 when you press Mark for Start and let go it automatically drops the End when you let go of the pad which makes it kind of annoying to work with

HELLOPILLOW wrote:
NINJA CHOPPING
??? What is it ?

marking a start point and playing the samp and unmarking and re-marking a new start point without the sample restarting. IMHO the SX doesn't (really) need this though because you can just Mark>Copy Sample>Truncate copied sample, and then use that for the new mark (and it happens really fast cuz SX speed)

kel wrote:
SX cons:
vinyl sim not as good

OG Pros:
vinyl sim

This is obviously up to preference but I really like both. It's a shame that the uniqueness of the SX VS is overshadowed by everyone's disappointment of losing FX they were really used to.

On another note that no one really cares about:
I'm pretty(kind of) sure after (some)testing that the 303 and OG Vinyl Sim is built with the SX Vinyl Sim's filter set to a static frequency which then runs into the compressor (probably the same as the MFX12 compressor except the knob adjusts ratio(? I think), but I'm not an audio savant so it could be totally possible that it's just set to high release and it's adjusting sustain in which case it'd be totally possible to 'circuit model' (lmfao) it on the SX, with the exception of the pitch knob because a totally different oscillator source is driving the pitch modulation) which might be why they felt the need to leave it out of the SX cuz they figured we could just resample SX VS-> COMP (pure speculation)

sorry for length, but I like talking SPs hahaha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:03 pm 

kel wrote:

The OG pros are why I like it better.... really, it's nice to be able to tweak samples in the 404 and load them up into the 2500 (and vice versa) with no generation loss.

Thanks for the input man. So what with the sx do you have to convert the files ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:09 pm 

Nice one for the advice peeps, it's a tough choice. I may have to side with the og for three reasons: the price, the looks and most importantly the sound. I'll give it at week to mull over the decision. Peace!