It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

Post subject: question about your beatmaking process on sp404
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:41 pm 

Hello!

I just got a SP404SX and I'm so happy over this thing, it's my best friend atm, no doubt.
During the last night I finished a beat (lo-fi hiphop), but it sucks so much to time in each pad during the recording, and if you fail start from the beginning and try to get the whole thing to match.

Is there any way to make this whole beatmaking process smooth on the SP? Or do you record each track/pad out to your daw and puzzle it together there?

Sorry for this noob question. :roll:

Post subject: Re: question about your beatmaking process on sp404
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:56 am 

I usually just plan out what i want to do and then record it straight into my daw, its just easier especially if the drums are harder to record.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:32 am 

NoK_ wrote:
I usually just plan out what i want to do and then record it straight into my daw, its just easier especially if the drums are harder to record.

So you record each track to your daw and puzzle it together there? Feels like it's the best way to do.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:46 am 

Do you use pattern mode? It's good for drums as you can overdub each layer rather than having to play kick, hat & snare live. Also you can quantise the first sample of each sequence so that it comes in at the correct time, resampling is a good method too it just depends on what you find easier!

https://delawon.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:16 am 

alecsdelarge wrote:
Do you use pattern mode? It's good for drums as you can overdub each layer rather than having to play kick, hat & snare live. Also you can quantise the first sample of each sequence so that it comes in at the correct time, resampling is a good method too it just depends on what you find easier!

I haven't tried the pattern mode, will try to do it with the drums. But is it possible to add MFX then? Or is the deal to first make it in pattern mode, resample, and then do the adjustments?

So overall, the most smooth way is to do the tracks and patterns in the SP404SX and then record it out my daw and there puzzle the whole beat together? :)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:18 pm 

iwannabedrake wrote:
I haven't tried the pattern mode, will try to do it with the drums. But is it possible to add MFX then? Or is the deal to first make it in pattern mode, resample, and then do the adjustments?

So overall, the most smooth way is to do the tracks and patterns in the SP404SX and then record it out my daw and there puzzle the whole beat together? :)

Yeah you can add MFX to the pads at anytime during, before or after creating the pattern, which is one of the benefits over resampling as once you've resampled a pad with EFX on you're stuck with it. You can't resample patterns on the machine unfortunately, but you can record the pattern to another source e.g DAW/tape/other sampler & then record that back to the SP.

In terms of the smoothest workflow just do what feels best to you, each method has its merits that you might like more than others, no rules to it really just have fun :)

https://delawon.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:18 pm 

alecsdelarge wrote:
iwannabedrake wrote:

Yeah you can add MFX to the pads at anytime during, before or after creating the pattern, which is one of the benefits over resampling as once you've resampled a pad with EFX on you're stuck with it. You can't resample patterns on the machine unfortunately, but you can record the pattern to another source e.g DAW/tape/other sampler & then record that back to the SP.

In terms of the smoothest workflow just do what feels best to you, each method has its merits that you might like more than others, no rules to it really just have fun :)

Thank you for the tip!

Another thing I had in my mind - how do you guys do to match the drums with the sample you guys recorded?
For instance, I chopped up some parts from a song that played fine together. But I have a hard time to know which BPM the thing is, and therefore having problems layering the drums.

How do you guys match it up through just the machine?

The beat I managed to make was through "cheating", since I transfered my sample from Logic knowing the BPM from the program. But I want to be able to use my SP in the nature for example and finish a beat there.

Sorry for this questions, hope it makes sense hehe. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:12 pm 

There's no cheating by using what you've got to figure out the BPM!

As you said, using the SP to match tempos can be tricky so anything goes. Generally chopping loops across different pads works wonders. Get that 2 bar loop & chop it to quarter notes then just press each pad in time with the drums. Or take those chops then resample them a drum hit at their start. Now you don't need to get the drums in time with the loop, just get the loop in time & layer some extra drum hits in pattern mode.

From personal experience drums to sample matching works best when you let the loop do it's thing & get the drums to match it. But there's no right & wrong answers, just what works for you.