It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:42 am

Post subject: Question about resampling loops
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:52 am 

Hello all,

I bought my first sp-404sx less than a month ago and I am yet to make my first beat on it. Originally. I bought the SX to be able to play my beats live, but since I already have it I might as well challenge myself and try to make a couple of beats.

I come from Ableton Live + MPD232 boombap/triphop production and I feel pretty comfortable on the PC. It doesn't take me more than a couple of minutes to chop up a sample and record some drums and bass. I already came to terms with the lack of real pitch control and being unable to resample a pattern without external help.

So my question is Is there a way to resample a loop on another pad with the exact same length if I want to add an effect permanently to it? I need the original sample and the resampled loop to be able to play in sync with the loop option On for a long time. Is there a way to resample a loop and set the recording to stop automatically after the original pad plays out? If not how do you guys resample and keep the same length of the original loop and the resampled loop?

Post subject: Re: Question about resampling loops
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:18 pm 

not gonna lie , its a bit tricky because when you resample the 404 adds a bit of blank sound to the start .

if youre using a pc .. yo could make the loops .. trim them on pc .. then peice everything together on the pc.Then add other layers over the top in the DAW

Live life . Love life

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:37 pm 

My experience with this has been that even if you get a loop exactly the same when resampled if you want 2 loops going together for a long time then they eventually drift out of sync so what i tend to do is resample the layers rather than playing more than one loop for a long time, so rather than having a bass and a drum loop going on a pad each i'll resample them together for say 4 bars max and then the next pad'll have like bass/drum resample again but with an added layer and so on, or you can have one shot type sounds that you play out live over the top of the layered loops

http://deathandco.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:47 pm 

..ah yes .. the infamous out of sync ..

exactly what Asha C said

Live life . Love life

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:48 am 

I see...

I can't hide I'm a bit disappointed, but this is the charm of this sampler - the restrictions.. at least this is what they say :)

I kinda figured out the layering method but I was hoping to be able to apply different effects on the different layers, without having to resample and micromanage the end points over and over again. I guess I can stick to Live for sequencing purposes for now, but I am kinda disappointed, because this means that I'll be using the 404 basically as an effect processor in my production.

Thanks for the replies.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:16 pm 

noflip wrote:
I see...

I was hoping to be able to apply different effects on the different layers, without having to resample and micromanage the end points over and over again. I guess I can stick to Live for sequencing purposes for now.

Another alternative, which I have also used and found works better with syncing issues, is to use the pattern mode as they were the same as pads, so you can have like a 4 bar intro on pad 1 of pattern mode then switch to pad 2 in pattern mode as the next part, this way it tends to stay in sync because the patterns are shorter in length and you can still exit pattern mode while the patterns playing and add live effects to the desired sample pad. Another trick in pattern mode is to hold the sub pad when you change patterns and then it skips straight to the next pattern without having to wait for the previous one to finish

http://deathandco.bandcamp.com