It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm

Post subject: Mixing down knowledge
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:15 pm 

I'm trying to find a way to get my beats (ableton + 303 user) to sound decent enough to share with the world. When I listen to my beats I notice they really sound different mix wise. In a way it's like roulette. I'm trying out all these different settings and plug ins throughout the year. Still I don't have this standard quality (colour) to it and kinda frustrates me. Especially listening to all these bedroom producer's and hearing a decent standard quality in their mix on soundcloud for instance.

So maybe some of you can share your go to method of mixing (mastering) from within your DAW? Like that specific method/tutorial to get a sound that's distinct and decent for finishing your tracks. Do you use waves, fabfilter, finish in the SP or non of these? I'm looking for that thick rich sound with enough dirt on it as well (Knx, early FlyLo, Sir Froderick etc.).

I know mixing is a time consuming craft but I just can't wrap my head around it and say ' ok this is the way to go when finishing beats for export'.

Post subject: Re: Mixing down knowledge
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:11 pm 

My methods are totally mixed up and haphazard at the moment so I can't give you any anecdotes, but I'll drop you this link, it's a decent place to start.
Awareness of EQing is a major part of mixing down if you have a goal for a clear sound, or really a goal for any sound at all, even if you're looking to mud things up.

http://www.cheatography.com/fredv/cheat-sheets/eq-tips/

Charts like these aren't the golden standard so don't treat it like a bible, they are a very solid foundation tho.

I know you didn't post this to be told to PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE, but regardless: PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

http://dr00py.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:47 pm 

Kalaba wrote:
I'm trying to find a way to get my beats (ableton + 303 user) to sound decent enough to share with the world. When I listen to my beats I notice they really sound different mix wise. In a way it's like roulette. I'm trying out all these different settings and plug ins throughout the year. Still I don't have this standard quality (colour) to it and kinda frustrates me. Especially listening to all these bedroom producer's and hearing a decent standard quality in their mix on soundcloud for instance.

So maybe some of you can share your go to method of mixing (mastering) from within your DAW? Like that specific method/tutorial to get a sound that's distinct and decent for finishing your tracks. Do you use waves, fabfilter, finish in the SP or non of these? I'm looking for that thick rich sound with enough dirt on it as well (Knx, early FlyLo, Sir Froderick etc.).

I know mixing is a time consuming craft but I just can't wrap my head around it and say ' ok this is the way to go when finishing beats for export'.

what's your sample source?

if your trying to work with shit that's compressed to death already it'll never sound good.

Roland SP-404MKIIx2,
Korg microSTATION,
Roland Verselab MV-1,
FLStudio 20 & Akai Fire,
Maschine MKII & MKIII,
UbuntuStudio / KXStudio,
https://soundcloud.com/mr-thraz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:20 am 

dr00py wrote:

i been doing it all wrong droopz
i usually listen to 15mins of nasty dank lolofi
beats before i get on the sp.then i just try and murkmurkmurk it up

i gots to pop on the steely dan and dig the excellent mixing vibes mannnnnn~~~~~~
check out this guitar solo dudes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:07 pm 

I just got that eq sheet and yes I'm practicing and delving into tutorials and knowledge. There's just so much out there (stylewise).

My samples are either lifted from vinyl or good drum soundpack wavefiles and sometimes I do indeed have mp3 samples (256 and up bitrate).

More specific:
Do you apply specific steps and if so which steps do you follow to make your beats sound ready for sharing (first export, ruff draft)??

Like a basic rundown (a,b,c) of things you do when you make a beat (perhaps a template with effects like HPF and certain fx on your drum/sample busses/master)

Do you use reference tracks for your beats and more specific how?!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:54 am 

YUBA wrote:
dr00py wrote:

i been doing it all wrong droopz
i usually listen to 15mins of nasty dank lolofi
beats before i get on the sp.then i just try and murkmurkmurk it up

i gots to pop on the steely dan and dig the excellent mixing vibes mannnnnn~~~~~~
check out this guitar solo dudes

gots 2 make yer beatz SHLICK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WmqVfgoeP4

http://dr00py.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:46 pm 

carve eq'ing and compression/limiting ftw