It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:52 am

Post subject: Resampling question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:54 am 

So I just picked up an sx and I'm liking it so far, it's pretty unconventional and different from what I'm used to but I find that refreshing. Anyway, I've been messing around with the resample method, and it definitely seems more up my alley than using patterns but the amount of elements you can add in one recording is really holding me back. For example, If i have a loop from a record on one pad, and I want to resample with drums over it, I find myself having to record one drum at a time to prevent the initial loop from cutting out. I know I can record more drums at once if my samples aren't stereo, but is there any other methods I could try that might be flying over my head? Right now I'm trying to resample a bass line into a song and I can't do it because I have three pads...

Post subject: Re: Resampling question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:17 am 

I use a looper after the SP, record to the looper and SP(resample) at the same time... looper keeps looping it, and I have the track (for example drums) recorded separately on the SP. Now I do it again with the next element, record it separately on the SP, while overdubbing the loop playing in the looper.

I get beats done just by messing around this way, and when I like it I have all the elements recorded separately on the SP... dope workflow. Only thing to watch out for is SP recording, which will at some point glitch while resampling or recording.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:32 pm 

That sounds pretty cool, I feel like I could achieve similar results with my DAW. I'm still open to suggestions though, as ideally I want to be able to create beats from scratch using only my SP. I heard JJOS allows you to resample patterns, is there any disadvantages to using it?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:25 pm 

resample your sample with a snare hit.
then resample the sample+snare and add kick
then resample the sample+snare+kick and add hi hats

...keep repeating

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:08 pm 

Yeah that's what I've been doing so far and for drums it works reasonably well, but for other elements not so much. Trying to add a bass line and having the sample cut out every time the slight reverb on each bass note overlaps is pretty frustrating. I tried using a metronome to create a bassline and resample the whole thing over my sample, but i feel like that's limiting how natural i can make it sound since i tend to do a lot of off-beat stuff.
Side note, is there a way to convert samples to mono directly on the SP? the stereo button stays perpetually lit despite my numerous pressing attempts.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:16 pm 

When you are about to sample or resample, the stereo button will light up, press it so it turns off, then you sample. It'll sample in mono.

So say you have a sample that is stereo and you want to change it to mono. Hit resample, hit the pad you want to sample to, hit the stereo button so the light turns off, then hit the pad you want to resample. Let it play out for however long you want and then stop sampling.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:14 am 

Gigolo wrote:
Trying to add a bass line and having the sample cut out every time the slight reverb on each bass note overlaps is pretty frustrating.

sp303 will answer your prayers..

you can have a sample going and turn the ext. source on and play live bass or whatever over your sample. before you ask, no one knows why the sp gods left that feature out on the 404

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:07 am 

resample kick and snare combos to 1 pad perhaps.