It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 pm

Post subject: Need some input on a studio setup
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:59 pm 

Is this an ideal studio setup? I'm still running through different setups to determine which one(s) benefits me the most.

Attachment:
File comment: Setup Key/Legend
Key_PIC001.JPG
Key_PIC001.JPG [ 23.85 KiB | Viewed 4375 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Proposed Setup
PIC002.JPG
PIC002.JPG [ 51.36 KiB | Viewed 4375 times ]

thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Need some input on a studio setup
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:43 am 

Studio wiring may look different for different people because they often need different things. If this setup works for you, then by all means, roll with it!

My 2 cents would be that depending on your turntable and your mixer, you might need a phono pre-amp of some kind in between them. If you are using a turntable with an integrated amp, (or something like the Numark portable), then you will not need one. However, if you are using say a home hi-fi turntable, or something like that (for example Technics 1200), then you will need a phono -preamp in between the turntable and mixer to boost the signal to line levels.

Some mixers have dedicated phono inputs - these inputs already have a built in preamp. If your mixer doesn't have this, and you are using regular inputs, then you will still need a phono preamp.

The good news is there is a variety of ways to do this- one way is to buy a small standalone phono preamp, another way is to put a dj mixer (like one with a crossfader) in between the turntable and the mixer, and the third way is to have an old home stereo receiver in between the turntable and the mixer. They will all boost the signal and will all usually accept rca cables out to run to your mixer.

If this is all old news to you, please forgive me for rambling on incessantly!

Good luck, and may the force be with you!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:44 pm 

chaz dolo wrote:
Studio wiring may look different for different people because they often need different things. If this setup works for you, then by all means, roll with it!

My 2 cents would be that depending on your turntable and your mixer, you might need a phono pre-amp of some kind in between them. If you are using a turntable with an integrated amp, (or something like the Numark portable), then you will not need one. However, if you are using say a home hi-fi turntable, or something like that (for example Technics 1200), then you will need a phono -preamp in between the turntable and mixer to boost the signal to line levels.

Some mixers have dedicated phono inputs - these inputs already have a built in preamp. If your mixer doesn't have this, and you are using regular inputs, then you will still need a phono preamp.

The good news is there is a variety of ways to do this- one way is to buy a small standalone phono preamp, another way is to put a dj mixer (like one with a crossfader) in between the turntable and the mixer, and the third way is to have an old home stereo receiver in between the turntable and the mixer. They will all boost the signal and will all usually accept rca cables out to run to your mixer.

If this is all old news to you, please forgive me for rambling on incessantly!

Good luck, and may the force be with you!

Thanks for the reply,

and as of right now the proposed set up in my OP doesn't require me utilizing a phono pre-amp. my mixer handles my vinyl player pretty nicely.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:07 pm 

"vinyl player".. I must be getting old. Back in my day it was called a record player or a turntable. It's like calling a compact disc a 'plastic'.. ;-)

Sorry I can't add any more than that to the discussion... your schematics look nice tho' and if it works then that's great. As an aside, mixers get really interesting when you start plugging outputs into inputs too (spent ten years exploring sp's onboard FX in feedback manipulation, still go back to it regularly...)

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:33 pm 

l i f wrote:
"vinyl player".. I must be getting old. Back in my day it was called a record player or a turntable. It's like calling a compact disc a 'plastic'.. ;-)

Sorry I can't add any more than that to the discussion... your schematics look nice tho' and if it works then that's great. As an aside, mixers get really interesting when you start plugging outputs into inputs too (spent ten years exploring sp's onboard FX in feedback manipulation, still go back to it regularly...)

lol record player, turntable, vinyl player tomato tomahto :lol:

and can you explain further about the FX onboard FX feedback manipulation? I'd like to start experimenting with that. and thanks for the reply

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:23 pm 

It's all hip man... you call it what you want ;-)

Re: feedbacking... i'll refer you to this post where I describe my usual signal chain. Within the further reaches of experimental electronic minimalism there are quite a few people working with so-called "No-input" music ie, mixers and/or other devices plugged into themselves and pulling forth sounds from the internal workings of the devices themselves - essentially playing with the sound of raw electricity.

It's relatively easy to get harsh tones and speaker-ripping sounds, to get it/them to function like an instrument over which you have a modicum of command is like any other instrument you care to name; takes time, practice, experimentation and a lot of mistakes.

Probably the most well-known practitioner, and coiner of the term "NiMB" is Toshimaru Nakamura who works with a couple of cheap mixing boards and some cheap-as-possible rack effects. This album with guitarist Tetuzi Akiyama was a revelation for me. This solo album of his just.... Zen.

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:59 pm 

S.LEXX wrote:

chaz dolo wrote:
Thanks for the reply,

and as of right now the proposed set up in my OP doesn't require me utilizing a phono pre-amp. my mixer handles my vinyl player pretty nicely.

No worries mang