It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am

Post subject: Pitching
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:18 pm 

has anybody ever found a good way to pitch stuff when theyre not using a computer/have a sampler that can do it?

(before anybody mentions i had a 202 and i had to sell it... it didnt pitch enough for me anyway)

im more than happy with the fact that my 404 and soon to arrive 555 dont pitch but im moving to an all hardware setup for a bit and want to have the option in one way or another if i can make it happen.

i have a very limited budget! any DIY ways of rigging a tape machine? im sure theres a way there. any other discoveries/techniques please let me know! cheers

Post subject: Re: Pitching
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:02 pm 

Do you have an android phone or IOS?

I know they have a couple apps that can do that.

Here is an a article

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:47 am 

Use the pitch control on a 4 track.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:11 am 
303 Award Winner '09

I hear the 202 is good for that. You could also buy this numark contoller and pitch your stuff turntable stylee in the software the provide or just download traktor to use for the software.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Numark/DJ2Go-USB-DJ-Controller.gc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:13 pm 

thanks for the suggestions!

i probably shouldve explained a bit more that cause everythings hardware and ill have a mixer at the heart of the setup i want something i can record to, pitch, then record back out. i worked out that a casio sk-1 might actually be the perfect thing. anybody used one? its 8 bit and only has 1.2 seconds record time so i dunno how useful it will be. i reckon you could play records at a higher speed and pitch them down to get the most out of the sample time which will either sound amazing or unusable with the 8 bit sampling engine! i think it might be better as it will shape my sound. any thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:28 pm 

Last edited by commercial on Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:29 am 

commercial wrote:
Get a Roland MS-1.

Is the pitch even better than the 202?

MicroKorg XL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:12 am 

Last edited by commercial on Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:43 pm 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

Korg Microsampler, you can pitch til your heart's content... not to mention play one shots across the keys

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:43 pm 

Vari pitch wheel on the 808 is all I ever need for pitching (I don't know anything about the MS 1 but as it's described as 'global' I imagine that means the same as the 808 vari-pitch - it functions like playback speed and has a really wide range... with the disc formatted to 32kbs a sample taken at 100% can be sped up to 137.9% and slowed down to 25%..)

So if I sample something and want to get a new sample in tune I'll pitch-wheel up or down the playback speed of what I've already sampled until it sounds in tune with what I want to sample next, previewing it as it comes in thru line-in. Once the new sample is taken I can play the two back at any speed but they'll both always be in tune. This is the only surefire way of pitching i use, other than mbe the transpose function in Ableton which is essentially the same thing in that as you raise pitch playback speed increases also (not really a problem if you're a chop-player, prolly more problematic if you are a looper since you start getting into timestretch territory to compensate).

The 808 also has a fairly good pitch FX patch but that's global too so harder to match disparate samples (not impossible if you check back and forth flicking the effect on and off, but I'd lack the patience for that i think). The pitch function in the sample-edit part can do a pretty decent job of repitching samples too, but again too difficult to use for matching samples, use more for processing.

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:00 am 

I got a mini KP2 for like 30 quid. The mini KP2S still sells for over a hundred but the original is pretty cheap all over.

It pitches an octave and if you stick an SD card in it you can record and resample to your hearts content. Not to mention the other effects..

Would be curious if anyone else copped one, what they think of the quality of the effects and sound. I like it, it runs on two AAs and fits in your pocket, and you can bounce back and forth to the SP.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:01 pm 

Korg ES-1 or ESX.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:44 pm 

i have a sony cassette deck with a pitch knob. $10 thriftshop find.
seen some tascam and teac decks with pitch as well

i would also suggest bypassing the hardware purism and just using audacity or your software of choice. if all you're doing is going in the box briefly to pitch or stretch i don't see the big deal but that's just me, i'm not trying to undermine anyone's principals or process

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:16 pm 

Nosmo King wrote:
. i worked out that a casio sk-1 might actually be the perfect thing. anybody used one? its 8 bit and only has 1.2 seconds record time so i dunno how useful it will be. i reckon you could play records at a higher speed and pitch them down to get the most out of the sample time which will either sound amazing or unusable with the 8 bit sampling engine! i think it might be better as it will shape my sound. any thoughts?

I have tried this (I own an SK1) and it is dirtier than the sp202, if you can believe it!

It's a bit of a crap shoot getting the sampling to start precisely on time and the looping function on the SK1 is even trickier. However, if you just sample into it and do the trimming or use the mark button on the sp you are using, it should work okay. The SK1 has quite a big range of sample playback speeds on the keyboard once the sample is inside of it, but fine tuning the pitch will be tough. Also, the sample is lost once you turn it off - it doesn't save it like the sp's do.

But if you are after really dirty sounds, try it out!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:34 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=805

an old topic already exist about that

why everyone create new topic (there is always an old topic about subjects) ?