It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 pm

Post subject: SP303 with Beatstep Pro
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:08 pm 

Interesting little video of the beatstep pro interfacing with SP303 is toward the end. Wondering if anyone uses a third party hardware sequencer with the 303. if so which one are you using?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EQzEi0VsI

Post subject: Re: SP303 with Beatstep Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:20 pm 

the website says it comes with MIDI adapters (since the midi size on the beatstep pro looks tiny). not sure if you'd need any 3rd party interaction if this is the case, the bspro looks like it can adjust CC note values/change midi channels fairly easily. with the og beatstep you would have needed a 3rd party computer+interface in order to midi out to the sampler.

seems like a pretty cool idea, however all those knobs would go to waste most likely.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:27 pm 

i believe the bs pro got a midi out instead of the og

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:44 am 

GEE WEAVER wrote:
the website says it comes with MIDI adapters (since the midi size on the beatstep pro looks tiny). not sure if you'd need any 3rd party interaction if this is the case, the bspro looks like it can adjust CC note values/change midi channels fairly easily. with the og beatstep you would have needed a 3rd party computer+interface in order to midi out to the sampler.

seems like a pretty cool idea, however all those knobs would go to waste most likely.

I'm asking if anyone here uses a dedicated hardware sequencer with the sp303. I like the beatstep pro. I don't think the knobs would go to waste.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:45 am 

Leptic P wrote:
i believe the bs pro got a midi out instead of the og

What sequencer do you use alongside the sp303 if any?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:33 am 

i use an og beatstep to sequence synths that's got none

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:27 pm 

I really like the "shift" function. Really cool to make your snares behind or forward. I wonder if you can set it on individual notes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:11 pm 

mr16levels wrote:
GEE WEAVER wrote:

I'm asking if anyone here uses a dedicated hardware sequencer with the sp303. I like the beatstep pro. I don't think the knobs would go to waste.

I use a laptop to sequence my 404 and on occasion my 202 and 505. doing it with the 303 wouldnt be a problem, either. don't know much about hardware but a standalone hardware sequencer would have to include a lot of options to be able to control most SPs via MIDI. MIDI on a lot of the SPs is very strange with very unusual CC numbers and weird channel changes, so it takes a bit of editing to be able to control the SP via MIDI. 303 is more straight forward with MIDI than the 404 and 505. as long as you can properly adjust cc notes of the BS PRO's MIDI out, you should be OK. check this to see what the proper CC values are for triggering the 303 via midi.

i only mention the knobs because you can't map any MIDI controls to the SP's knobs or anything. unless you have a computer on the side also being controlled by the bs pro, those knobs won't really do anything as they are meant to be mapped to controllable values. as far as I know, the only thing you can control on the SPs via MIDI is 1) triggering (sequencing) and 2) bpm slaving. I'm not even sure if you can do both of those at the same time.

hope your search for an external sequencer is successful. there are lots of topics on this forum talking about gear that can do that--you just gotta google search the right gear! check out the roland MC series

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:45 pm 

GEE WEAVER wrote:

i only mention the knobs because you can't map any MIDI controls to the SP's knobs or anything. unless you have a computer on the side also being controlled by the bs pro, those knobs won't really do anything as they are meant to be mapped to controllable values. as far as I know, the only thing you can control on the SPs via MIDI is 1) triggering (sequencing) and 2) bpm slaving. I'm not even sure if you can do both of those at the same time.

Ah yes, I see what you're saying now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:46 pm 

SebP wrote:
I really like the "shift" function. Really cool to make your snares behind or forward. I wonder if you can set it on individual notes.

Yea, I agree. He did mentioned you can adjust indi pads, I would assume that means indie notes as well. Ask him, the guy seems pretty active as far as answer questions and very approachable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:03 pm 

After seeing this video and reading up on Arturia's site, I gotta have the BeatStep Pro for my SP-404SX, x0xb0x, Korg Volcas, and my iPad. Looks like more fun than using my MPC for what I got.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:08 pm 

Looks like the 303 is actually not turned on :(

My 303 stay on Vinyl Sim.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:24 pm 

V-F! wrote:

watch entire video :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:45 pm 

Leptic P wrote:
V-F! wrote:

watch entire video :mrgreen:

:oops: haha got bored after about 3 non-SP minutes. Just skipped to the end but ended up seeing some cool stuff I didn't know about the beatstep and watching a bit more of the video.

My 303 stay on Vinyl Sim.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:21 pm 

Looks awesome but you'd still be limited to the polyphony on the SP.