It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:33 pm

Post subject: What gear should I get next?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:32 am 

Hi all

Been using the SP 303 for a year now and I'm starting to look around for my next upgrade. I've been considering a multi-track tape recorder or a 404sx, I want to be able to use stereo properly and build more complex layered tracks. At the moment I've been using the Resample method and while its a lot more straightforward I'd like a little more control over my layers once they're completed/prepared.

If I got an SX, I could build the layers on it, bounce to the 303 for mastering/more fx and record each layer separately back to the SX and build it in pattern mode. a bit awkward maybe and I guess this is similar to how pattern mode already works.

I'm not completely sure how a multi-track works, but I get the gist, and it seems like a means to a similar end, plus having cassettes of my beats as opposed to CDs would be chill.

What are the advantages of each? Ideally Im looking for as much control over each layer as possible, so I can make each one perfect before I mix it down

Look forward to being part of this community

Peace

Post subject: Re: What gear should I get next?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:44 am 

Mnkee wrote:
Hi all
Been using the SP 303 for a year now and I'm starting to look around for my next upgrade. I've been considering a multi-track tape recorder or a 404sx, I want to be able to use stereo properly and build more complex layered tracks. At the moment I've been using the Resample method and while its a lot more straightforward I'd like a little more control over my layers once they're completed/prepared.

If I got an SX, I could build the layers on it, bounce to the 303 for mastering/more fx and record each layer separately back to the SX and build it in pattern mode. a bit awkward maybe and I guess this is similar to how pattern mode already works.

I'm not completely sure how a multi-track works, but I get the gist, and it seems like a means to a similar end, plus having cassettes of my beats as opposed to CDs would be chill.

What are the advantages of each? Ideally Im looking for as much control over each layer as possible, so I can make each one perfect before I mix it down

Look forward to being part of this community

Peace

A double-SP combo, or SP + 4-track cassette gives you a lot of different possibilities. I haven't explored them myself.

(Thinking out loud, hmm:)
Resample 8 bar loops in 303 ->put the loops in patterns on the 404, 99bar no quantize ->mixdown through 303 with Vinyl Sim as master fx.

A multitracker will make panning L/R easier, since every channel will have its own knob for it.

A cassette 4-track will not give you your beats on cassettes, unless you mix them down to stereo on a separate cassette deck. A 4-track cassette can only play in one direction. Instead of side A (L/R) and side B (L/R) you've got all the four tracks playing at once.

If you put a 4-track cassette in a regular cassette deck it will playback at half speed and you will only hear two tracks. Whereas, if you put a regular cassette (recorded on both sides) in a 4-track machine, you will hear chipmunks. Two tracks will playback forward, and the other two will sound in reverse.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:01 pm 

janglesoul wrote:
Resample 8 bar loops in 303 ->put the loops in patterns on the 404, 99bar no quantize ->mixdown through 303 with Vinyl Sim as master fx.

Yeh thats the kind of idea I was going for, using the polyphony of SX pattern mode to its full and being able to build each layer separately until as late into the process as possible

And thanks for the heads up on the 4 track, so the tape is there just for the feel?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:33 pm 

It's more for getting demos of tracks down. You build your songs track by track for each part you want to create together. So Bass on one track, beats on another, synth/guitar on another, etc.

If you got a 404sx, you might want to bounce beats back n forth with the 303. You'll get way more sample time, which you'll benefit from. But the 404 might sound more clean or polished than the 303, so bear in mind that that the 404 is a newer machine, but you're going to have fun with both at your command, no doubt.

You may want to consider a digital recorder, which are cheap if you know where to look, won't have the problems a basic 4track deck will have, and it's digital, so you can bounce tracks around and lose no signal or have any audio artififacts in your productions. Or, get a decent Mac/PC and a audio interface and do this in your DAW of choice.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:56 pm 

depending on budget .. try a loop station .. the boss rc505 is niice

Live life . Love life

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:08 am 

janglesoul wrote:

I like the way you think.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:14 am 

If you're not opposed to using a DAW, I would recommend investing in a solid external soundcard/audio interface and an audio editing program such as: cool edit pro or adobe audition... OR some of the higher-end DAW's like Logic or ProTools.

Multitracking into a DAW is imo the best of both worlds. I personally use a combination of a 202, an 808, Fruity Loops and Pro Tools.

It's flexible, efficient and could be easily accommodated to your preferred workflow.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:48 am 

@Kris my pockets aint that deep, nice idea tho

@r4ph431 I'd rather keep it all 'as in the box' as possible, although I will have access to an audio interface soon, so I'll give it a try

@Headphones A digital recorder is something to look into, when I even more precision in my mix

My friend recently got a new SX and having a chance to play with it seals the deal. Its so much more powerful in a lot of ways, and I'd like to work up to doing live sets. Its gonna be a while before I can make the next purchase, and by then I'll be pushing more of the 303s limits.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:28 am 
Site Admin

Even though it seems like you already made your choice I just wanted to chime in.

I recently purchased a Zoom R8 digital 8 track recorder for around €200 (second hand). Its a small portable unit that also works on batteries. It has a gang of fx (reasonable) and it records straight wav files to an sd card, which you can then import to your DAW of choice for further mixing if desired.

I wanted to get out of the box for a while and see how that works out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:04 pm 

Chulukinat wrote:
Even though it seems like you already made your choice I just wanted to chime in.

I recently purchased a Zoom R8 digital 8 track recorder for around €200 (second hand). Its a small portable unit that also works on batteries. It has a gang of fx (reasonable) and it records straight wav files to an sd card, which you can then import to your DAW of choice for further mixing if desired.

I wanted to get out of the box for a while and see how that works out.

I've been thinking about buying the R16. Between the portability and the use of the 8 inputs as an audio interface, and the use of the unit as a MIDI controller, it offers a lot for the money.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:06 pm 

what up r4ph431 i'm in fairfield county too--got peeps in norwalk. good to see some local east coast heads out here

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:08 am 

I wanted to get a Moog for basslines. But they are insane prices.
I looked at synths. IButI couldn't find any that I like the bass sounds on.
Or the new Roland T3 That takes after the 303 for bass programming.

But ultimately I decided to just use the low pass filter on my sampler. And figured my money would be better spent on records than gear.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:13 am 

umm.. so no one is going to mention the casio xw pd-1?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:11 am 

YUNG TAMAGOTCHI wrote:
umm.. so no one is going to mention the casio xw pd-1?

i dunno that shit looks like a travel game, then i watched some lame dj demos with it on youtube,
whats the deal tamagucci, u used one before or something? i didnt even think casio was in the controller market whawhawhats the deal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:40 am 

I got you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TynUssyAYFU

Real live casio demo, get it how you live boy, 2015