It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:16 am

Post subject: sub kicks using subsonic fx
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:00 am 

I was just wondering what would be the preferred setting using this fx on a regular kick so u can layer it onto a drum loop. Ive tried and its worked and sometimes it doesnt, not consistently. Sometimes as you resample the kick all of a sudden gets grainy and gives unpleasant feedback and sometimes its to subtle.

Any tips wud be so doope

Post subject: Re: sub kicks using subsonic fx
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:01 am 

Hi,
There really never is a quickfix for anything. Just compromises, but you should be able to learn the subsonic easy enough.

Three controls: Pitch, threshold and balance.

Start with the balance at 12 oclock (or past 12 o'clock to hear more of the sub).

Play around with threshold to see where the sub triggers and sounds just long enough. Threshold more or less handles the duration of the subnote. Clockwise for shorter sub, anticlockwise for looooong sub.

Pitch: Which subsonic note that will beef up your kick the right way depends on your kick and the other samples. Go by ear.

Dial back the balance to hear more of your original kick. Decide on a good mix. During a loop switch MFX on/off to hear with and without, to make sure you're beefing it up without overdoing it.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:25 pm 

i used to use that effect until i just came to this thought that it was too powerful of a sub.. i definitely have used it in a way thats pleasant but even on its lowest setting the sub can just be too overwhelming

:(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:10 pm 

set a threshold n pitch it in tune with ur beat. im blown away by how vague and simple that question is. kudos

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:02 am 
Winner of Silver Medal
Winner of Silver Medal

I personally rarely had the subsonic running 'free' on anything. More often, I'd switch it over to pure sub effect and play with pitch as I trigger and resmample that then resmaple it again playing with the volume so that I could sorta just 'form' my own kick. Then I'd save that to a pad and play along with the drum loop's kicks as best I can...this way I can have something a bit more 'dynamic' sounding than 404's simple sine set at whatever pitch I give it, and I can also trigger it at will (extra kicks? Sure why not)

It's just another method, there's bound to be a zillion other techniques using Subsonic on loops to beef em up.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:25 am 

booyungg wrote:
set a threshold n pitch it in tune with ur beat. im blown away by how vague and simple that question is. kudos

im blown by how much ur a dikhead. but thank u 2 everyone else tht replied

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:06 pm 

it's not a simple question at all. There's no simple question.. You could always just resample the sub by itself(low note) like when you resample for basslines and just play both samples(kick and sub) while resampling. Then, what I used to do sometimes as a workaround for envelopes is use the voice effect with the first 2 knobs turned down and using the 3rd one for the level, then I would play the sample and turn the knob real quick to control the kick decay(while resampling obviously). Also, reEQuing or reIsolator-ing(!, that's what I use for EQ) afterwards to make the sample gel is a good thing. That's what I do when layering 2 snares(i.e.). Filter or eq the result to "glue" them together more. Or compression.