It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:13 pm

Post subject: Different sound in DAW between pad and pattern
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:55 pm 

Why is there another whole sound when i have an arrangement on pads, and i make a loop (melody and drums all in one pad) and the same loop with a pattern using quantisation.
when i record the "one" pattern with all in it, to make a full beat, the sound is really ok in audacity. BUT when i make the same loop with the pattern mode, all sounds different when i recorded it, especialy the drums..(kicks too quiet etc.)...and i havent touched the levels of the pads....i really can't explain this to myself.

Do you have me a tip?

Greetings
Tee

Post subject: Re: Different sound in DAW between pad and pattern
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:35 pm 

Yeah I know what you mean there. You get the audio out of the SP sounding sweet on monitors, headphones etc but as soon as you record it gets weak or whatever.

That can come down to all kinds of things. Most frequently (in my limited experience) this A-B difference is down to processing during the recording. For instance if you've recorded with EQ or compression on at any point in the signal chain it'll show up forever. Plus your recorder might not be able to handle the range of tones & frequencies that you're putting into it at once.

Remember you're comparing something recorded once to something recorded twice. The resampled beat in the 404 then recorded into Audacity is 2 recordings vs the sequence then recorded just once into Audacity. I don't know enough about the guts of both to say why the resample take sounds better than the sequenced take for you. Maybe the shitty frequencies are cut from the 404 resample but caught by Audacity? Just a guess.

There's a third way to consider too that's used in the absolute vast majority of pro-recordings: multitrack recording. It's much more flexible than the resample method 'cause it's non destructive and you get 1 or more channels of each instrument to tweak independently of the rest. If you're gonna compare what you make to pros, consider the job of the recording engineer etc to make sure the producer/mixer/masterer gets a decent recording.

It's not hard to replicate this on the 404, it just takes a little organising in pattern mode. To multitrack on the 404:
- Record a pattern of drums on pad 1, this is also the master pattern.
- Copy pattern on pad 1 to pad 5, record additional bass notes onto the pad 5 pattern.
- Copy pattern on pad 5 to pad 9, record additional chopped samples to the pad 9 pattern.
- Copy pattern on pad 9 to another bank as a back up if anything goes wrong
- Erase all drums from pad 5 pattern
- Erase all drums and bass from pad 9 pattern
- record pads 1, 5 & 9 as separate layers, don't use without any FX (except for intentional ones you know you want in the recording).
- Play with the output volume, EQ etc from your DAW & hear how much better it sounds than recording the backup pad on it's own.

^while the resample method's fun when it works, I find it too risky. Stuff it up once & you gotta go back & do it all again, which is most definitely not fun. No harm in mixing multitrack & resample though, you get the best of both worlds if you want.