It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 pm

Post subject: leaning?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:29 pm 

I saw in some posts that people "lean" instead of tapping and letting go of the pad. When it came to finger drumming I believe? I am curious as to what that is.

I want to take my finger drumming to another level. What I usually do is put different drum sounds on different pads and create a loop with a kick nd snare. And then add the hi-hats nd shakers to the loop, by re sampling.

But again I really have no sense of timing. When I re sample its a lot of guessing and trial and error. Which can be discouraging when (kick snare kick kick snare) is the best I can do.

So if any one can explain leaning or offer any other advice, that be cool.

Post subject: Re: leaning?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:42 pm 

I dont really know what you mean by "leaning"

I guess you could mean when finger drumming, not lifting your fingers up off the pads completely.

You can hit the pads faster if your fingers aren't having to come back to the pad after having JUST let go of it.

They kinda tell you to play guitar like this in a way. Limit how far your fingers lift off the pad so you become faster and smoother.

Some people have naturally good timing..some don't. Those who don't just have to practice a little more.

The more music you are exposed to, the more natural and instinctual it'll become i guess. Just listening to drum breaks or hip hop....drum patterns will just fill you up lol

If you're having problems with your internal timing, try making your drum loop 1 bar long. Experiment and practice. Since its so short and repetitive it'll be easier to keep in time

Mess with the sequencer as well. You can turn quantize on or off at any given moment. It has a metronome to help keep time.

I usually sequence my drums because it gives me more control. Then i play my melodic chops live and resample the whole performance through another sampler or record it straight into the computer

Most importantly......use a metronome to practice. You can find apps for your phone. If you practice with one you'll get better. So...go for it lol