It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 pm

Post subject: D/P/I
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:03 pm 

recently i'm into this kinds of beats - as i posted about dakim/matthewdavid/etc before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzimsE8_DKg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5OTebIBJTQ
i suppose he samples from trap/jersey and unconventional tunes - i read almost his sounds is from samples on the TMT's interview.
however, i can't figure out well how he flips samples - irregular, skewed but still cohesive...
how do you think and can you find clues?
also i want to make a sound or find a sample like this thing - https://soundcloud.com/warau-kankyo-ong ... een#t=0:40 (metallic one, although i can't remember a title, d/p/i used this sound too)

thanks ✿

Post subject: Re: D/P/I
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:21 am 

Shit man, again? Look, it's a fair question to "How'd he do that?!" But your reaction could be what D/P/I wants. Good art gets a reaction, bad art gets no response.

Immitating this is something you're gonna have to go DAW for. Route everything wrong. Experiment. Control a sample's pitch and filters with the same thing. Notice how the band pass filter (or whatever it is) moves at the start of each note like a wah-wah pedal? You could do something like that in Reason without much difficulty so in stuff like Ableton or Logic it'd be a breeze too. The ADSR envelope's your friend. But there's so many little things in D/P/I's work you're only gonna learn it by learning your gear and going through years of trial & error.

At the end of the day this is like asking a guitar dude how to play like Steve Vai. The deal's in practice, self belief & knowing your instrument's limits (so you know what boundaries to push). What's more important is finding your own voice & sound, just go all Mighty Boosh & you'll be fine.

I feel your questions kid, 'cause I'm old & still trying to figure out how to get my sounds big & balanced like Leftfield on Rhythm and Stealth.

Post subject: Re: D/P/I
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:13 pm 
Winner of Silver Medal
Winner of Silver Medal

Unfolding wrote:
I feel your questions kid, 'cause I'm old & still trying to figure out how to get my sounds big & balanced like Leftfield on Rhythm and Stealth.

Werd. I been making electronic music for 25 years and I still don't know shit about shit.