It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:50 pm

Post subject: teebs, samiyam, matthewdavid & dakim
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:10 pm 

hello everyone.
i'm interested in sounds of teebs, samiyam, matthewdavid & dakim.
i tried to figure out how they make sounds. how they work by myself but i can't find ways to make that kinda ethereal, full & warm sounds.
perhaps they know how to find suitable samples. but at the same time, i guess many songs from them is not sample based...
especially teebs said nowadays he doesn't use samples well in interview
you know they has specific sounds and feeling what they share - especially teebs, matthewdavid & dakim not only saturator, compressor but also something...
also they seem to use 303/404 well - how they use?
i watched some videos like this
https://vimeo.com/80345985
http://youtu.be/c1e6jpnlGH8
but dun know what they do...

if you have some clues, share secrets to me please.

Post subject: Re: teebs, samiyam, matthewdavid & dakim
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:44 pm 

Matthewdavid likes Garageband's Chorus plug-in.

I've only recently heard about Matthewdavid and liked his concept on Outmind and the articles I read (see below) -- so I bought it on vinyl. I haven't made time to listen to it altogether.

His idea of sampling appears to be more in line with my idea of recording (semantics). He likes to use an old cassette recorder and a 3.5mm mic to "sample". I imagine it's similar to set-up that Matthew Dear shows in this video, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIb1i8HzYkk

I read that MD does most of his composing on the computer and bounces them to analog sources (like cassette) or puts his sounds through stompboxes to achieve some "warmth".

"A lot of it is made in the computer, recorded all in the computer and taken out and put somewhere else—on to tape, quarter-inch tape, reel-to-reel, cassette, or through outboard compression or outboard gear or whatever—and then put back in. A lot of times, just parts of the song's instrumentation will be rendered out as this small part, so I won't be taking the whole song and translating it to an analog world and putting it back. I take parts and do it that way. It's really always varying."

Read these two articles below as you will find a lot more information.

http://www.xlr8r.com/gear/2014/06/artist-tips-matthewdavid-shares-a-few-of-his-production-secrets/

http://www.xlr8r.com/gear/2012/07/in-the-studio-matthewdavid/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:03 pm 

I'm more familiar with teebs and samiyam - don't know exact techniques but here is where I'd start

-sample vinyl and/or old movies, avoid digital/clean/newer stuff. Search youtube for 'library music' ,'b-movie trailers', etc. Don't limit yourself to soul/jazz get some weird records, there will be gems on there.

-synths: I prefer hardware, sample some notes (or chords) and play with vinyl sim/ chorus/panning/reverb on the SP. Learn a little music theory if you don't already, will help tremendously with progressions and matching key/tones. Think about the layers: lead / bass / sfx / chords and what combo they are using to get their overall sound.

-Weird percussion: try breaking sticks, footsteps, punches from karate movies, kicking a ball, windchimes

-Swing/Wonk - Don't use quantize, play stuff a tad early/late; or sometimes have one part quantized (say, the snare on the quarter notes) and make the hats/bass part a little more 'loose'

-Compression is great, but be careful as sometimes it will bury a sound you want to stand out, or suck-out some bass from your lowend. Save compression for very last over the whole mix (303/404 style)

-EQ: watch your frequencies; boost the bass (60hz - 125hz, depending on bass chosen), try to dip a little in the 300hz / 500hz realm to kill some 'mud', perhaps kill some high end too (8khz and up) to sound more vintage.

-Themes: Alot of great music comes out of a motif: think about a robot stranded on another planet, an undersea city, a junkie lying in an alley dying having flashbacks - whatever - something to build light/dark/loud/quiet into so it's not just randomly mashing pads

good luck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:43 am 

thanks for good advices ✿
here is my attempt.
https://soundcloud.com/7b7c83/lver-that-kirby-is
but... i can't satisfy...
how i can improve?
also still i have curious about videos what i mentioned above...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:50 pm 

Link's dead. Listened last week though & the song was fine. Just keep practicing & comparing what you're doing to your idols. Be as objective as possible. If anything it seemed like there wasn't enough layering in your song, it didn't have the depth/width of Teebs & Matthewdavid or that punch that Samiyam gets. For the Teebs & Matthewdavid side try using loads of reverb mixed low behind the other stuff (don't be afraid of that smeared thing that happens with too much reverb). For the Samiyam side of things compress harder & remember 80s synth funk bass tones. Want Dakim? Delay all day. Keep it up & you'll get the right sound before long.

That said from what I remember you were on the right track with the drums, vibe & tempo. Which is probably more important than those guys' techniques, it's the kind of stuff that'll give your music it's own identity.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:55 am 

Unfolding wrote:
Link's dead. Listened last week though & the song was fine. Just keep practicing & comparing what you're doing to your idols. Be as objective as possible. If anything it seemed like there wasn't enough layering in your song, it didn't have the depth/width of Teebs & Matthewdavid or that punch that Samiyam gets. For the Teebs & Matthewdavid side try using loads of reverb mixed low behind the other stuff (don't be afraid of that smeared thing that happens with too much reverb). For the Samiyam side of things compress harder & remember 80s synth funk bass tones. Want Dakim? Delay all day. Keep it up & you'll get the right sound before long.

That said from what I remember you were on the right track with the drums, vibe & tempo. Which is probably more important than those guys' techniques, it's the kind of stuff that'll give your music it's own identity.

Thanks a lot ✿