It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm

Post subject: zoom sampletrak help needed!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:03 am 

so i just got my hands on a zoom sampletrak! i learned how to chop and add effects, but now i need help. i have 2 questions.

1. is it possible to record in one song while another song is playing? for example song 1 plays while i record in song 2? if so, how do i do this?

2, i have tried to do the sample at 45 rpm and pitch it down. now how do i pitch down to the right pitch? it seems like i cant get it right ever, but in my mpc 2000xl it usually works perfect when i pitch down -52. anybody have tips on this effect?

Post subject: Re: zoom sampletrak help needed!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:43 pm 

No. it's possible to record on the song (pattern) you're playing. You can also sampling while a pattern is playing.
Sounds a bit weird reading like that, maybe try to be more explicit in what you want to try to do and why, so i could help more...

that's a matter of ears, the 224 got a good pitch tuning on pad2...btw, if you want to know the bpm of a sample push the corresponding pad while holding the tap bpm button; combinating tuning and the time stretching effect + knowing the bpm, maybe could helps to your aim;
in any case, the mpc you mentioned and the 224 are very far different, cannot compare the 2. (even if the 224 has a similar 16 level function)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:57 pm 

Wait, you can do 16 level in Sampletrak? How?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:22 pm 

ellaguru wrote:
No. it's possible to record on the song (pattern) you're playing. You can also sampling while a pattern is playing.
Sounds a bit weird reading like that, maybe try to be more explicit in what you want to try to do and why, so i could help more...

what i am trying to do is have a snare on on song 1 and a snare kick on song 2 and so forth. is this possible?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:01 pm 

MattCoops wrote:

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 1.00.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 1.00.33 PM.png [ 154.55 KiB | Viewed 10863 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:33 pm 

MattCoops wrote:

yes, as ritchrd shows, the 224 got a similar function as on the mpcs: the 224 has 8 pads per 3 banks, so you can have 1 bank with an octave (pitch scale function), and, if you want, you can choose a lower value in order to have another octave in another bank (teoretically, if you resample other pitched tones, you could use this method to find other highest or lowest scales of the same sample in the third bank an so on)...

HEATthebeatmaker wrote:
what i am trying to do is have a snare on on song 1 and a snare kick on song 2 and so forth. is this possible?

well, if you record a snare on pattern 1 and a snare/kick on pattern 2, certainly this is possible, but, still, i don't understand well what is the point on this...the two patterns would be always recorded separately...other thing, you cannot copy patterns...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:17 am 

ellaguru wrote:

HEATthebeatmaker wrote:

well, if you record a snare on pattern 1 and a snare/kick on pattern 2, certainly this is possible, but, still, i don't understand well what is the point on this...the two patterns would be always recorded separately...other thing, you cannot copy patterns...

well the purpose is so that i can have each sound by its self when tracking out to the computer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:29 am 

I've had the manual the whole time, and I just now got pointed to that, thank you.

Also, there's this video by 7th City that shows how to scale it out like the MPC, chop, and resample.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:36 am 

HEATthebeatmaker wrote:
well the purpose is so that i can have each sound by its self when tracking out to the computer.

ok, now is clearer.
due to the fact that the 224 doesn't have separate outs, personally i use to do that "ghetto style": i sample or resample things in mono and then i extremely pan all samples in order to have, for example, drums on left and bass/samples on right; i found it practical when you have to tracking different tracks (2 tracks in this case) simulteneously, when you want improvise and keep that "special live feeling"...however, one thing i do, if i have 2 or more samples (whatever on right or left), is to do a "pre mix" of them (resample eq+comp+rev) on the 224, so to make after more easy to mix on software or recorder...
...so, in your case, recording drums on pattern one or two makes no difference, the important fact is the correct pan of samples...unfortunately, as i said before, this machine is great but limited and very far from mpcs, but it takes its own place between the world of samplers indeed...(other similarities with mpcs world are the load/save thing and the assign samples to pads...)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:00 am 

ellaguru wrote:
HEATthebeatmaker wrote:

ok, now is clearer.
due to the fact that the 224 doesn't have separate outs, personally i use to do that "ghetto style": i sample or resample things in mono and then i extremely pan all samples in order to have, for example, drums on left and bass/samples on right; i found it practical when you have to tracking different tracks (2 tracks in this case) simulteneously, when you want improvise and keep that "special live feeling"...however, one thing i do, if i have 2 or more samples (whatever on right or left), is to do a "pre mix" of them (resample eq+comp+rev) on the 224, so to make after more easy to mix on software or recorder...
...so, in your case, recording drums on pattern one or two makes no difference, the important fact is the correct pan of samples...unfortunately, as i said before, this machine is great but limited and very far from mpcs, but it takes its own place between the world of samplers indeed...(other similarities with mpcs world are the load/save thing and the assign samples to pads...)

yup i know its different than the mpc, but im trying to do some similar things. thanks! i know about panning, but didn't think of it. will try it out. one last question though.

do you have any tips on using lofi? for example if i have a lofi drum break, should i make my samples lofi as well or what? i know for the most part, its personal preference, but what have you found to be the best combo? i will normally choose lofi when working on this machine for drums, but not always samples. im trying different things out for my self, but i just wanted to get your input as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:08 am 

HEATthebeatmaker wrote:
yup i know its different than the mpc, but im trying to do some similar things. thanks! i know about panning, but didn't think of it. will try it out. one last question though.

if you find some cool workarounds to do similar things as on mpc, please share...

HEATthebeatmaker wrote:
do you have any tips on using lofi? for example if i have a lofi drum break, should i make my samples lofi as well or what? i know for the most part, its personal preference, but what have you found to be the best combo? i will normally choose lofi when working on this machine for drums, but not always samples. im trying different things out for my self, but i just wanted to get your input as well.

personally i tend to use lofi due to the fact that the 224 has the limit of having max 60sec per song (?????...damn...), or when, as you said, want to find some special falvour. Sometimes i founded practical to use lofi because on certain samples i resampled them few times just to reach low frequencies (applying the lowpass fx too) to find some bass synth-ish combination...
...two or three months ago there were some battles hosted on the arena section, made just with the 224, check those to give you an idea of what i'm talking about...
another cool forum (discontinued indeed): http://sampletrak.lefora.com/, but maybe you know it...there were there someone who posted interesting theory about making bass kick drums tr808 style with the 224...
in any case, something similar to sp1200 flavour (due to the dark sound of the 224) could be reached pitched up drums, resample them (with lofi or not, try and experiment), and then pitch down drums...
combining lofi drums and lofi samples...why not? depending on the tracks and feeling you're searching...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:13 am 

ellaguru wrote:
HEATthebeatmaker wrote:

if you find some cool workarounds to do similar things as on mpc, please share...

HEATthebeatmaker wrote:

personally i tend to use lofi due to the fact that the 224 has the limit of having max 60sec per song (?????...damn...), or when, as you said, want to find some special falvour. Sometimes i founded practical to use lofi because on certain samples i resampled them few times just to reach low frequencies (applying the lowpass fx too) to find some bass synth-ish combination...
...two or three months ago there were some battles hosted on the arena section, made just with the 224, check those to give you an idea of what i'm talking about...
another cool forum (discontinued indeed): http://sampletrak.lefora.com/, but maybe you know it...there were there someone who posted interesting theory about making bass kick drums tr808 style with the 224...
in any case, something similar to sp1200 flavour (due to the dark sound of the 224) could be reached pitched up drums, resample them (with lofi or not, try and experiment), and then pitch down drums...
combining lofi drums and lofi samples...why not? depending on the tracks and feeling you're searching...

thanks!! will check out the tr808 theory if its still up there.

i know this may seem tedious and also obvious, but it can work for tracking out. make a pattern that you like on song 1 and say you used 5 sounds (kick, snare, hi hat, sample and bassline) well copy that to 5 different songs (make a pattern on song 1 and copy to songs ,2,3,4,5.6) then go to each song and delete everything until there is only one sound on each song. for example the kick should play on song 2, the snare on song 3 and so forth (the sound depends on whatever you decided to leave on that track). then if you want a sound to be mono, pan it had left or hard right. you dont mess with song 1 because thats the main pattern. after you record each sound in to the computer you can delete all the song you dont want and keep the original pattern which should be on song 1. that should be easy to do. i might actually start doing this once i get the right audio interface. mine is old and crappy lol.

now that only works if you work in small bar lengths or what i would call sections. for example if you have a chorus with 4 bars that repeat exactly the same, instead of recording all 8 bars on the st224, just record 4. then when you are in your DAW/ music software you can copy the audio and make it 8. normally on these machines you would keep all your drum patterns the same so for any other songs you would need to only make copies for the new patterns. for example if you have a new sample pattern and bassline pattern for the verse, then just copy that pattern twice and delete everything so the bassline and sampler are now on their own songs. then you can delete the bassline and sample songs once you have recorded them to the computer. on the computer you cann just copy the drums and add it to the verse section. you have to do it this way since this technique will eat up memory fast if you aren't careful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:21 pm 

ok, i understand now your method.
i think this could be useful in oeder to track separet elements, as you said on the very beginning.
my "multitrack ghetto style" method is to track everything live and direct, in orther to have almost all the elements played live at once. now i'm gone deep with this method, 'cause i add to that the "reverse method": a rapid example= you have a kick on a pad, resample this with a reversed sound (a variation of this kick or whatever)ò adjust the new sample reversing it and adjusting that reversed one with the end point (not the start point, we reasoning in reverse)ò re'reverse the whole sampleò play with scratch effect with knob edit1 all way down, in order to have reverse on the fly: now you have a variation of the sequenced sample, no need to change pattern (at least, you have 1 variation) or no need to change pattern very muchò i developed that technique du to the not very practic sequencer of the 224...(like the sp303)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:57 pm 

ellaguru wrote:
ok, i understand now your method.
i think this could be useful in oeder to track separet elements, as you said on the very beginning.
my "multitrack ghetto style" method is to track everything live and direct, in orther to have almost all the elements played live at once. now i'm gone deep with this method, 'cause i add to that the "reverse method": a rapid example= you have a kick on a pad, resample this with a reversed sound (a variation of this kick or whatever)ò adjust the new sample reversing it and adjusting that reversed one with the end point (not the start point, we reasoning in reverse)ò re'reverse the whole sampleò play with scratch effect with knob edit1 all way down, in order to have reverse on the fly: now you have a variation of the sequenced sample, no need to change pattern (at least, you have 1 variation) or no need to change pattern very muchò i developed that technique du to the not very practic sequencer of the 224...(like the sp303)

cool. Thanks for the info! will definitely try this method out as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:58 pm 

I know this forum is old but I recently got a sampletrak and figured out how to track out my beat more efficiently. Though, this might seem like common sense, it's a rather longer way of going about. I would level everything to 1 except for the sample sequence which I always like recording in first. Then, I would lower the levels to the sample and put back up one instrument at a time and record the loop through my apogee into Ableton and it's worked perfectly for me. I can mix and put effects on individual instruments and tracks.