It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:07 pm

Post subject: 606/303?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:24 am 

Probly a tired question. I pretty much i decided i wanted the sp404 cause im very attracted by the focus it puts on your work and not on itself if you get what i mean. Now ive got my chips, i can afford one (ebay), but right now i find a 606 going for cheeper then curently available 4's. Im interested in producing the stonesthrow sound hiphop...i alrady produce on ableton, but i want to try my hand at hardware which is why i want the seeminly simpler 404. My question is the 606 known to produce and acheive the same style of beats the 404 is famous for? Or is it a higher end machine for a more "polished" sound? Im just thinkin the more built out features might delay the the straight forward workflow of the 404. Oh and the other thing that im a little aprehensive about is the 606s connection with the computer. I kind of just came from the computer and want to avoid having it in the process as much as i can. Thanks

A lot of people never use their initiative because nobody told them to.
-Banksy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:38 am 

Looking at it this way, the 606, 404 and 303 all sound 'polished'.

But madlib (stonethrow artist) is known to use the 303 or 606 (for example his quasimoto or madvillain stuff).

The sound won't be that different from ableton though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:21 pm 

plus the usb connection doubles as a midi controller out and in and if u have drum sounds that are wave(pcm) files u really like, u can tranfer em to your sp 606 fairly ez. u can achieve that sound if u got the mind for it with any of these machines. i only use the usb hook up if i find some drum sound i like on fruity loops, id hit up the program manager and take em st8 from the file otherwise ive got about 300 plus records for that get the 606 if the price is good enuff 4 ya. i work mines to death and i used reason while taking a break from my sp and went str8 back

www.myspace.com/niqnames

http://soundcloud.com/spforumspodcast/podcast-q/s-6qvGJ
[email protected]
http://www.twitter.com/dirtykics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:19 pm 

They both got the same sound. But they are 2 very different beasts. The 404 has no visual editing. Everything is done by feel. The 606 is mostly visual editing although its still a quick machine thats easy to navigate. If it where my choice I would go with a 404. I think that the 555 and the 303 have the greatest workflow there ever was for the way I like to work.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:44 pm 

speaking of work flow on the 303. You might wanna check out guitar center, cause they just got a bunch of brand new 303s with the smartmedia cards in. http://www.guitarcenter.com/SimpleTech- ... 1393205.gc

"if hip hop is soooo soooo soooo diverse now why the fuck cant i find it?" - Niq Names

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:12 am 

thanks. you all colelctively answered my questions ;) . Looks like its just out of which is cheeper at the time. Hope to have my sp soon, thanks peeps!

A lot of people never use their initiative because nobody told them to.
-Banksy