It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:17 am

Post subject: Sp 303 , compression + reverb
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:08 am 

I have all my drums tracked out in Cubase (kick=tr1, snare=tr2, bass=tr3, etc.) ... I have a Reverb set up and have certain amounts of Reverb added to each element of my beat. BUT... before I finish my beat, I want to solo all of my drums (just my drums, not the samples, bass, or synth, etc.) and run the drums though my Sp 303 with Vinyl Sim Compression and record the wet signal onto a muted stereo track, back inside Cubase.

My question is, would it be better or more natural to turn reverb off BEFORE I run my drums through Vinyl Sim Compression, or leave the reverb on?

The reason Im asking is because I have certain amounts applied to each drum sound, (5% on kick, 40% on snare, 50% on hats, etc.) and if i turn reverb off before, then these individual amounts will be lost and I 'll have to apply reverb to the compressed copy as a whole afterwards.

(Maybe applying reverb to the compressed wet signal when they come back into Cubase on a stereo track would be more natural, because it would be like applying reverb to just one drumset, right?)

Post subject: Re: Sp 303 , compression + reverb
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:01 am 

Champloo wrote:
(Maybe applying reverb to the compressed wet signal when they come back into Cubase on a stereo track would be more natural, because it would be like applying reverb to just one drumset, right?)
Right!

A (slow & maybe painful) workaround for what you're doing is to resample each track individually & at the same volume with compression, then with reverb, then balance the volume in the mixer.

Generally speaking effects like reverb, delay, chorus and flange should come after effects like EQ, compression & distortion. Reason why reverb usually comes 2nd is because the its decay will be made louder (depending on your sustain setting, natch).

That said you can make some nice long drones & atmospheric stuff by resamling reverb then comp over & over. It sounds pretty unnatural but its worth a try.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:04 pm 

thanks for the reply Unfolding!

yes, that would be a very arduous task re-sampling each track, adjusting levels, etc. haha

looks like i'll go ahead and just compress all drums together and apply reverb afterwards.

i heard about this compression trick from another thread, where if you play your hats at a lower volume and run them through a compressor, the compressor will 'pump' and bring the hats up to a high level, giving off that vibe i've heard in some hip hop music like Madlib and Dilla. And the vinyl sim will top it all off with the grainy sound fx.

peace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:15 pm 
Winner of Silver Medal
Winner of Silver Medal

Champloo wrote:
My question is, would it be better or more natural to turn reverb off BEFORE I run my drums through Vinyl Sim Compression, or leave the reverb on?

"My question is arbitrary to my tastes and the listeners taste so which one is better?"

Which is better, Coke or Pepsi?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:07 am 

obviously its arbitrary

coke or pepsi
republican or democrat
ford or chevy

see i can do that too

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:05 pm 

How On Earth Do You Do That...Assign Each Pad To Its Own channel on your DAW scince the SP records everything when you track out?