It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:07 pm

Post subject: tha fuck is up wit this MIDI shit!?!?!?!?! (I Hate It)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:04 pm 

im trying to start trackin my shit out

i chop up samples, put that pattern in pad 1 or watever....

thats tha sample chopped up in a 8 bar loop...

now i want it to sync with Cubase SX
so it can lock into a track on that program.

i do it manually now, but how can I do it with midi?

im new to midi shit but I wanna track my shit out instead of always having the 2 track

i have a US-122 interface where my midi is hooked up to the back

how does it work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:09 pm 

Do you have the 606 or 303 , 404 what.. I only know how with the 606

Music is a moral law,
it gives wings to the mind,
a soul to the universe,
flight to the imagination,
a charm to sadness,
a life to everything,
Plato 400 B.C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:04 am 

i remember...arafat have a sp-404....i think so...i see pics in your myspace...

arafat: i dont use midi in my sp-404

http://www.reverbnation.com/vivipedraglio
http://www.soundcloud.com/vivipedraglio

Last edited by vivi pedraglio on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: tha fuck is up wit this MIDI shit!?!?!?!?! (I Hate It)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:09 am 

Arafat wrote:
thats tha sample chopped up in a 8 bar loop...

now i want it to sync with Cubase SX
so it can lock into a track on that program.

i do it manually now, but how can I do it with midi?

if you slave the 404 to Cubase
when you press play in Cubase, the 404's last played pattern will trigger in sync
if it is a pad, not a pattern, figure out which MIDI note corresponds to the pad, and in Cubase draw in an event of that note at the very beginning of the track (so that this will trigger, via MIDI, the pad to start on the 404 at the same time)

if MIDI is confusing you, you should google it for some quick guides

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:50 am 

usin da 404 wit midi is 2 fuckin hard yo. eitha upgrade alexinah to a 606 or stick wit bangin da shit out live. but as u showed me way back at duke, one trackin dat bitch gets da fuckin job did

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:24 am 

Quote:
usin da 404 wit midi is 2 fuckin hard yo. eitha upgrade alexinah to a 606 or stick wit bangin da shit out live. but as u showed me way back at duke, one trackin dat bitch gets da fuckin job did

Its not that hard really. Selling a piece just cos you cant figure it out, to upgrade to a more complicated piece. . . doesn't that just mean youll be even more confused? :lol:

read the 404's manual on how to set it up,

what you want to do, is have the midi OUT of whatever you want to be in control, plugged into the midi IN on the back of the 404.

Then you set the 404 to EXTERNAL clock/sync.

So it gets it's timing info from whatever is running into the MIDI in port at the back.

If you want to send other midi data to the 404, you gotta set the MIDI channel in the 404 to be the same as the midi channel on whatever youre using to control it.

Computer says: "Sending some midi shit, over channel 4"
SP is sitting waiting, thinking: "If shit comes along that's for channel 4, do what it says"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:11 pm 

thanks everyone im gettin it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:39 pm 

cartesia wrote:
Computer says: "Sending some midi shit, over channel 4"
SP is sitting waiting, thinking: "If shit comes along that's for channel 4, do what it says"

hahaha, goooood one, i laughed out loud :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:25 pm 

Shaman X wrote:

Midi has been around for along time and will be around for along time to come if you are serious about making music you better get a basic understanding of it and stop with that crappy attitude of "its to hard i dont want to do it waaaaaa"

Now to anyone else who reads this midi is not complicated you just have to be patient and remember to always check your chan's that you are sending and receiving , make sure you have the proper midi connections and make sure your gear is set to send or receive ( slave or master ) the proper type of information. ( mtc , mmc ect )

http://midiworld.com/basics.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:27 am 

aight look. as far as i know, the sp 404 is a great compact machine that has severe technical limitations. none that cant be wrkd around wit a lil kreativity n perseverence but limitations nonetheless. plain and simply, the 606 seems more capable and friendly ta this shit than the 404. so u can go head and talk shit bout niggas whinin all u want, bottom line is the 404 isnt the most powerful and userfriendly sp made. dat was my point from the very beginnin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:44 am 

I use midi for live play (to sync) but that's it. You don't need to have a huge understanding of midi to make music. Bands get by fine without it.

When you want to record a live instrument, say a bass guitar for example, what do you do? Get the bass player to play along with your beat and record it. Then you line up the recording with the rest of your track, mix it and your done. Easy (with practice). Often you will need to do more than one take, but hey; welcome to REAL recording!

Just becuase you are working with electronic instruments doesn't mean you cannot record this way. Set up, record, edit, mix. Next instrument please. It might be old-fashioned but I dare say this method will still be around even after midi finally dies out :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:54 am 

Midi is going no where every PROFESSIONAL uses it. No one is going to pay hard earned money to record electronic instruments that are not synced unless they dont know any better. This is a part of music so either learn it or be ignorant about it either way its here to stay. ( Comparing a live bass to a electronic musical instrument is not nearly the same, you dont just hope for a good take or slide the recording into place )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:37 am 

That attitiude only separates electronic musicians from every other musician and feeds the myth that electronic music is 'made by the machines'... Learn to play in time I say. Otherwise stick to Fruity Loops :lol:

Midi is not hard to learn, true; it's all about getting the slave/master relationship right etc. It's a valuable skill if you need to sync a large number of boxes, in order to play live, or make a live recording. In those situations the electronic musician has always relied on midi. This is necessary becuase, no matter how good your timing is, the timing of the machine will put the sound out of whack.

In the studio though, the way PROFESSIONALS work is to set up and record. That way you don't need to fart about trying to get 'that human feel' - it's already there :shock:

This is another 'MPC' style myth - you don't need an MPC to make hip hop (or any other electronic) music and you don't need midi either. Grandmaster Flash didn't use it. What you do need is patience, practice and perseverance. And an original idea or two 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:09 pm 

606man wrote:
That attitiude only separates electronic musicians from every other musician and feeds the myth that electronic music is 'made by the machines'... Learn to play in time I say. Otherwise stick to Fruity Loops :lol:

Midi is not hard to learn, true; it's all about getting the slave/master relationship right etc. It's a valuable skill if you need to sync a large number of boxes, in order to play live, or make a live recording. In those situations the electronic musician has always relied on midi. This is necessary becuase, no matter how good your timing is, the timing of the machine will put the sound out of whack.

In the studio though, the way PROFESSIONALS work is to set up and record. That way you don't need to fart about trying to get 'that human feel' - it's already there :shock:

This is another 'MPC' style myth - you don't need an MPC to make hip hop (or any other electronic) music and you don't need midi either. Grandmaster Flash didn't use it. What you do need is patience, practice and perseverance. And an original idea or two 8)

Stop confusing people with your drabble lol. Even fruityloops uses midi. Every time you click the mouse it is inputing a midi note? :shock: WoW plus no professional studios record without syncing up there gear. You think just blaze was running in the studio with his 4k saying oh wait i will get this next time bla bla bla he used midi, just like every live musician uses midi to control various racks and other keyboards from a master keyboards on stage. ( Princes keyboardist uses 7 nordleads with midi. )Midi does not take ANYTHING away from human fell it just locks to clocks in sync when recording into a daw or multi track? You are really showing you ignorance about this subject here. Also what does the mpc have to do with this or midi now your just tossing crap in? The main problem i have with everythign you state is you are implying midi as though it steals the feel from your music when in fact you should be saying QUANTIZE does that, 2 diffrent things here man. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:32 pm 

Two words: PRO TOOLS

Where's all that midi now?

(someone tell me why I'm bothering to argue with a 14 year old)