It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:38 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:44 pm 

I am 29 and what does pro tools have to do with jack squat it runs midi just like everything else? Why dont you bother to learn before you speak? You dont think pro tools implements midi? Man ignorance is bliss.......

Let me explain a little more because i think you are either touched or slow.

Pro tools uses midi to control its surface ( that nice little desktop mixer that controls it is MIDI ) Pro tools uses midi to record vsti or rtas instruments. Pro tools uses midi to quantize. Pro tools uses midi to sync with outboard gear like tape machines , hard disc recorders and drum machines. So please tell me how those 2 words mean squat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:26 pm 

Midi relates to: Drum machines, SOME synths, Samplers and a few other DIGITAL instruments. That's IT retard. EVERY other instrument must be recorded as AUDIO no midi. That's a LOT of instruments compared to a couple.

Damn some people are stupid :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:35 pm 

wow every post you make just makes you look dumber and dumber. No one said every instrument needed midi? You just said Pro tools and now your off on something else? Why cant you defend your statement or even hold a intelligent conversation? I can see why you are getting frustrated having to read my correct answers go google information and try to come in with another topic that no one said or even brought up? Just to let you know there are also guitars and bass guitars that are midi and even midi pick ups for most instruments out? Dying i think not. Just say it you have been owned and i will stop, yet you will reply with another off the wall response lol.

I had to go back and read where this all started as you confused me to what the point was to begin with. Your argument in EVERY thing you stated was that midi takes away the human feel and basically go to fruity loops to use midi. NO thats a quantize setting it can be turned off that has nothing to do with what we were talking about. Second you had 2 words for me pro tools which i dont think meant anything at all? Care to explain?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:43 am 

OK now you little upstart

Solace said: if you are serious about making music you better get a basic understanding of it and stop with that crappy attitude

Now, there’s where I took issue: you are telling Arafat that he NEEDS midi to make music. This statement is untrue. Musicians have been making music without midi for thousands of years. To tell someone that they can’t make music without midi is not only false but also mean spirited.

I tried to encourage Arafat by telling him it’s OK not to use midi. Real musicians get by fine without it. Pretty simple stuff. I also said that just because you are using electronic instruments you can still record in the traditional way; people do it all the time. You didn’t like that though.

Solace said: Midi is going no where every PROFESSIONAL uses it.

So you started with the shouting, didn’t you? You seem to have a very one-track mind when it comes to recording practice. I work with professional composers and musicians on a daily basis, and none of them use midi to record audio. According to your logic, they don’t qualify as professionals. Yet they seem to be making money from their ‘unprofessional’ work. LOL

Solace said: No one is going to pay hard earned money to record electronic instruments that are not synced unless they dont know any better.
What about a MiniMoog. Or an SH-101. Or an Arp. Or a Fairlight. Or a Theremin. And so on. It seems your knowledge of electronic instruments is rather limited.

Then you got truly nasty. Calling my considered thoughts and encouraging words (to Arafat) ‘Drabble’. I’m not the one saying there’s only one way to do things. That’s ignorant drabble, to use your phrase. Just a heads-up for you there: this board is not usually about insults – it’s about encouragement: check the other replies to Arafat – they are helpful without being rude.

Solace said: even fruity loops uses midi. Oh shit does it? LOL – that’s my point; if you are gonna limit yourself to what can be done with midi, you might as well stick to computer programs and step-sequencers.

Then you used artists for examples: blaze and his 4k. I’m sure he was playing sequences rather than actually playing, so no need for midi there either (since it’s already in time).

Then Prince on stage – I already said you need midi for live play so I dunno what you are trying to prove there?
Solace said: Midi does not take ANYTHING away from human fell it just locks to clocks in sync when recording into a daw or multi track?
Not only is that sentence terrible grammatically, it also shows your ignorance to my posts – I never said midi takes away from human feel; I said it is unnecessary for recording audio. Two different subjects entirely. You mention quantize; I never did. I assume, though, that if you view midi as necessary for recording audio, you must be unable to actually play anything in time. If your skills are that low I guess you DO need midi. LOL

Then the Pro Tools issue: Until quite recently, Pro Tools did not support midi much at all. Pro Tools was made famous as an AUDIO recorder, Einstein. When I work in the studio with professional musicians playing instruments, they record audio, not midi. You should know this if you are an audio engineer!

‘pro tools uses midi to control’ – what’s that got to do with recording audio? Remember the original poster? He had been told the MYTH that he needs to track his work for it to happen. He doesn’t (there’s nothing wrong with manual tracking and it’s a very valuable skill to have when you move away from digital instruments)
I think you missed the point completely, as well as being disparaging and obnoxious.

There’s nothing wrong with doing things the traditional way. There’s nothing wrong with midi tracking either. There IS something wrong with telling people that there is only ONE way to do things. And there is definitely something wrong with being rude when unprovoked. Piss off back to futureproducers if that’s how you’re gonna be on here – I won’t be the only one who shuts you down.

Pwned?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:27 am 

First show me where i say its midi or nothing? Cant as i did not say that. Your little speach down there is still garbage as its full of nothing but YOUR OPINION twisted and cut up the way you see it. Lets take a real look....

"Then you used artists for examples: blaze and his 4k. I’m sure he was playing sequences rather than actually playing, so no need for midi there either (since it’s already in time)."

So what the engineer yells press play so they try to go 1,2,3, play lol no his mpc was hooked up with midi to run the sequencer to record his sequences. Thats how it works. In your world i guess you just hit record then slide everything around till it fits. Also why would he need midi if he was actually playing as you state? You dont even need it at that stage everything is done in the box?

this is my all time favorite twist is

"Not only is that sentence terrible grammatically, it also shows your ignorance to my posts – I never said midi takes away from human feel; I said it is unnecessary for recording audio."

Here are some examples..

"Learn to play in time I say. Otherwise stick to Fruity Loops"
"no matter how good your timing is, the timing of the machine will put the sound out of whack. "
"In the studio though, the way PROFESSIONALS work is to set up and record. That way you don't need to fart about trying to get 'that human feel' - it's already there"

That looks to me like you did say it takes away from the feel?

"Midi relates to: Drum machines, SOME synths, Samplers and a few other DIGITAL instruments. That's IT retard. EVERY other instrument must be recorded as AUDIO no midi. That's a LOT of instruments compared to a couple. "

Now theres this nuget of information. When did i say accoustic instruments were recorded in midi as you seem to think i stated? I also am not even sure why you posted this and who you were arguing with because you went so far off point here?

"Two words: PRO TOOLS

Where's all that midi now?
"

"pro tools uses midi to control’ – what’s that got to do with recording audio"

Thats what i would like to know but there your 2 words lol. You are seriously cracked out. Thanks for the fun time.

Oh and i dint get nasty till you said "(someone tell me why I'm bothering to argue with a 14 year old)"

So you can try to rewrite it anyway you want your still wrong and i never said midi or die i just stated it was the best way to track electronic music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:49 am 

wow....
midi-tastic! :o :o :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:36 pm 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09

b1aderunner wrote:
wow....
midi-tastic! :o :o :o

word, definently a midi-tastic thread. A little more than I can follow (I know very little about midi) but it seems like a great fight. 8)

look at all the insanity your question has caused Arafat :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:09 am 
Awesome Member

man i hate it when newbies talk smack to smart, helpful peeps who've been around here a while. 606man, you have some nerve questioning Solace with his 23 posts... some people...

seriously, arafat's tracks are solid, he knows not from midi therefore anyone who says you must know midi to rock phat tracks must be talking out their ass... FYI peeps around here like it mellow and if you don't abide...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:07 pm 

iG9 wrote:
man i hate it when newbies talk smack to smart, helpful peeps who've been around here a while. 606man, you have some nerve questioning Solace with his 23 posts... some people...

seriously, arafat's tracks are solid, he knows not from midi therefore anyone who says you must know midi to rock phat tracks must be talking out their ass... FYI peeps around here like it mellow and if you don't abide...

Look at you with your "i have more posts so i am better" and dint even read the whole topic or you would know that the above is not true. No one said you must rock midi but what was said was that basically you guys are to damn dumb to use it and you should just record live. Read the whole thing instead of just making up a story of your own. Oh and the e-thuggin ? FYI peeps around here like it mellow and if you don't abide... bs dosnt impress me either. Im sorry when i get 500 posts maybe you will see right from wrong, GREAT way to judge people there!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:14 pm 
Awesome Member

e-thuggin? all i'm saying is people here tend to be chill and if you're not you'll wind up getting dissed and ignored. i stand by it. you were rude from the start, i don't care if i agreed with everything you said, you preseted your side poorly. my post amounts to "don't be rude", which you followed up with more hostile ranting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:26 pm 

I did not say or do anything rude untill dissmissed as a 12 year old boy. Also your posts > correct content is pretty ignorant. I cant be getting "dissed" or "ignored" as i have about 40 pm's in my inbox right now asking about more advanced midi and basic midi setups so i think the forum readers who took this for what it was respected it for the most part. Did it get out of hand and childish .. yes and there was no need for it. Thats all i have to say on the topic peace everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:17 am 

if this is any sign of the heat in the next battle then i'm puttin on some popcorn. MIDI-TAStic or is it MIDI-STATic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:53 pm 

OHHHHHHHHHHHH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:30 pm 

never used midi hopefully never will have to. I could understand for live performances or using multiple machines. For just recording tracks there is no need for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:19 am 

soundexp334 wrote:
never used midi hopefully never will have to. I could understand for live performances or using multiple machines. For just recording tracks there is no need for it.

You never used midi then how can you judge whether it's useful?