It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:32 am

Post subject: What's the deal on Sampling?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:35 am 

Whatz good peepz?

Aiight here's the deal, I've notice on Swizz beats album and other various interviews from Djs/producers.. I hear from the more experience and seen (on youtube, which is not done correctly) that when you find a sample you like, you have the pre-recorded drum tracks and what not (sax, flute whatever makes up the beat ya know) you take the sample snippet and then you add it into your already done beat.. Question is how do you do this.. I've seen on youtube some sloppy shit..

Swizz Beats made a comment that he adds his own kick and eq the bottom off, if the pre-recorded track already has a deep bottom and vice versa if it doesn't..

So can anyone tell me how they do it or direct me to some reading material?

I've seen on youtube most people just grab a single instrument playing by itself and just add it into your mix like a simple guitar or something( check this out ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5m4lnw5-oE ), I guess I'm looking for something more complex.. I watched this video that I gave the link too.. And my workflow is chopping it up in the Sonar 7 then transferring it to my 606.. but how do they chop it up in sections like that (I know they use a MPC, but who gives a fuck, the 606 can do the same I just haven't discovered it yet).. I used the 606 chop function and it doesn't come out like this (yes I did experiment with the chop function)..

Can you actually adjust/position the chops from the 606 to where you what them?

I sample form Harold melvin, The Miracles, EWF, Sam Cook, T-Bone Walker, and etc.. I know I'm not sampling the wrong shit..

Music is a moral law,
it gives wings to the mind,
a soul to the universe,
flight to the imagination,
a charm to sadness,
a life to everything,
Plato 400 B.C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:18 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

Quote:
Can you actually adjust/position the chops from the 606 to where you what them?

No, it doesn't have a manual chop, only auto chop. Still, if your sample has the correct length you will be able to chop it up nicely. I haven't come across any really problems. You can always resample your samples to different pads and then use 'sample loop edit' to cut it into the right size. It's the work around for manual chop on the SP-606, but it takes some time.

I tend to use auto chop and remove or adjust the samples I'm not satisfied with. The end result is always good, but sometimes I need to cut samples up a bit more.

How do you record your samples to your SP-606? Do you only use import samples through USB? I tend to use sampling, USB cable to my PC, SP-606 is configured in Windows Media Player as my Sound card device (just go to 'Extra -> Options -> Devices -> Speakers -> select SP-606 ). It works a charm this way.

Quote:
I sample form Harold melvin, The Miracles, EWF, Sam Cook, T-Bone Walker, and etc.. I know I'm not sampling the wrong shit..

True, but you should listen for usable sample parts, because even on those records you can't easily use every split-second just by using auto-chop. I tend to go with a trial-and-error approach, but in my short experience, shorter shots usually will have a good chance of fitting in.

I'm not a guru at all myself, but the more you try the better you will become for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:13 am 

i've never used a sample where there are drums still in it. most of my chops are pretty short samples which i rearrange and sequence anew. but some people manage to mask the original drums really well, not sure how they do it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:39 am 

Thanks D & P for tha info.. I will look into at what point I sample (usuable parts)

Quote:
How do you record your samples to your SP-606? Do you only use import samples through USB?

Sometimes if I chop in Sonar first, mainly I use a CD player that's connected in my mixer and route the outputs to my 606 and SOnar 7, I have it all connected thru Midi so I get both to record the sample at teh same time and if it needs more attention I use Sonar. If not then I stick with the 606

Quote:
I tend to use sampling, USB cable to my PC, SP-606 is configured in Windows Media Player as my Sound card device (just go to 'Extra -> Options -> Devices -> Speakers -> select SP-606 ). It works a charm this way.

I will have to try this.. Thanks

Quote:
but some people manage to mask the original drums really well, not sure how they do it

That's what I'm talkin about.. Thanks for the info

Music is a moral law,
a soul to the universe,
a charm to sadness,
a life to everything,
Plato 400 B.C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:01 am 
303 Award Winner '09

You just have to mix 'em right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:53 am 

Hey ya got any tips for me Doc? How do you sample?

Music is a moral law,
a soul to the universe,
a charm to sadness,
a life to everything,
Plato 400 B.C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:33 am 
303 Award Winner '09

I'm not tryin' to do all that, but hit me up on a private message and I'll help you out.