It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:15 am

Post subject: 'The Unseen Quasimoto' sound?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:54 pm 

Man, I tried to figure this out.
The whole album has a great sound to it. Raw and old school.

It was made on the sp303, but that can't be the key cause the 303 may warm stuff a little but it doesn't change anything in this way.

madlib must have used some effects and all kind of shit.

Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:59 pm 

actually he was using the sp 1200 on that album which obviously attributed towards that sound. In addition, it was recorded straight to cassette.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:03 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Yeah, he makes his Quasimoto tracks with his 303 mainly then he sends the mix to his soundman who does some pretty heavy editing in pro tools to make snares that were sampled in mono to be stereo in the final mixdown and a lot of other neat tricks that you pay experienced engineers to do for you when you have a studio released album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:10 pm 

J.Daniels wrote:
actually he was using the sp 1200 on that album which obviously attributed towards that sound. In addition, it was recorded straight to cassette.

Nope, the 303. He said that in a lot of interviews and also the machine is in every page of the booklet of the album.
And I record straight to cassette too, actually as I later found out I use the
same tascam machine as he does :D

Dr. Sp:
Did you read that in an interview or so? I kinda' remember that panning story...

Do you really think that his joints sounded that different coming straight from his 303?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:15 pm 

Yeah, I think Dr. Sample is right on the money. I also assume that album got mastered. That would have something to do with it. My understanding is he sat on the album for a few years, then PB Wolf finally heard it, and was like "damn that's ill, we need to puit that out" so I'm sure at that point either an engineer stepped in, or they just shipped it off to get mastered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:18 pm 

mixed & mastered by this man:

http://www.davecooley.com/

there was also an article in REMIX, the one w/MadLib on the cover, where dave cooley talks about it... but yeah that album was all 303... 8)

actually here it is:

http://remixmag.com/mag/remix_madlib/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:31 pm 

J.Daniels is right: The Unseen was made on a E-MU SP1200, and NOT on a 303! The Unseen was released in 2000 (and the SP303 in 2001?)

I have used and listned to the SP1200 enough to recognize the sound. CLASSIC HIP HOP SOUND which you SHOULD be able to recognize... Lootpack The Antidote is also pure SP1200, along with a lot of the stuff he has produced for Declaime/Dudley P, exept the newer material. The Further Adventures Of Lord Quas is newer, and there he uses the 303.

In that REMIX MAG interwiew The Unseen is not even mentioned... But I think what he meant is that he uses the 303 for allmost everything NOWADAYS, but not before, (and of course not before the 303 came out...) when he also used the MPC2000 (he's playing with it in a video with Lootpack).

Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:56 pm 

deck daddy wrote:
J.Daniels is right: The Unseen was made on a E-MU SP1200, and NOT on a 303! The Unseen was released in 2000 (and the SP303 in 2001?)

I have used and listned to the SP1200 enough to recognize the sound. CLASSIC HIP HOP SOUND which you SHOULD be able to recognize... Lootpack The Antidote is also pure SP1200, along with a lot of the stuff he has produced for Declaime/Dudley P, exept the newer material. The Further Adventures Of Lord Quas is newer, and there he uses the 303.

very true.

Thanks for the info on that one.

But still... I have an Emax wich has the nearly exact same sound as the sp1200 and it doesn't have that 'sound' automatically applied to the samples you put in. There must have been something with the mastering or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:19 pm 

the difference between the emax and the SP1200 is that the SP1200 has a compressor on the output.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:20 pm 

yeh people, the 303 wasnt released at the time of making the unseen. And after owning an sp-12, im pretty familiar with the sound of it, and it was definately used.

Theres an article that explains how peanut butter wolf couldnt get anyone to master the album, because they didnt want their studios associated with the bad quality of the cassette. so wolf and madlib mastered it(except the singles) without the use of any compressors or monitors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:34 pm 

J.Daniels wrote:
yeh people, the 303 wasnt released at the time of making the unseen. And after owning an sp-12, im pretty familiar with the sound of it, and it was definately used.

Theres an article that explains how peanut butter wolf couldnt get anyone to master the album, because they didnt want their studios associated with the bad quality of the cassette. so wolf and madlib mastered it(except the singles) without the use of any compressors or monitors.

the album was mastered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:11 am 

yeh it was originally just mastered by peanut butter wolf and madlib, with the singles done by kut masta kurt. But Kut masta kurt did the remaster. Theres a article on the ST site where PBW talks about his favourite stones throw songs and he explains all this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:36 am 

deck daddy wrote:

In that REMIX MAG interwiew The Unseen is not even mentioned... But I think what he meant is that he uses the 303 for allmost everything NOWADAYS, but not before, (and of course not before the 303 came out...) when he also used the MPC2000 (he's playing with it in a video with Lootpack).

Peace

then how would you explain this: " He said that in a lot of interviews and also the machine is in every page of the booklet of the album." ?
just asking.. i down't own the album..

http://kristofferlislegaard.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:55 am 

Hes reffering to the booklet of the "Further adventures.." album and not "the Unseen". I own both, and theres no illustration of any gear in the Unseen sleeve. however theres a little drawing of the 303 in the further adventures booklet.

and those interviews are also refferring to further adventures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:04 pm 

J.Daniels wrote:
Hes reffering to the booklet of the "Further adventures.." album and not "the Unseen". I own both, and theres no illustration of any gear in the Unseen sleeve. however theres a little drawing of the 303 in the further adventures booklet.

and those interviews are also refferring to further adventures.

word. My memory tricked me. I also thought the dillawood scenery was in the unseen booklet.

Still it was mastered!