It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:56 pm

Post subject: an octave of synth notes for your 404
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:58 am 

http://www.4shared.com/file/21516398/20 ... 200_1.html

Recorded from my yamaha an200 (same synth engine as the AN1X inside it), no effects or filter in action - I figured you would be able to apply these yourself if you chose.

try it with some of the mfx. . sounds a bit dry straight up - chorus, phaser, voice trans, delay. . etc all add something nice to it

I'll hopefully record some higher octaves at some point too. :)

not sure how useful itll be to you lot ;) Im into hardcore rave and such things so thats what it sounds like

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:15 pm 

cool, thanks !

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:01 am 

Thanks man 8)

I always wanted an an200 or an an1x but they didn't actually get released in Australia...not that I saw anyway and I've never seen one on Aussie Ebay either. So feel free to upload more sounds from it :wink:

The rave scene is pretty big in melbourne :evil: so I'll definately find a use for more rave sounds!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:33 am 

606man wrote:
Thanks man 8)

I always wanted an an200 or an an1x but they didn't actually get released in Australia...not that I saw anyway and I've never seen one on Aussie Ebay either. So feel free to upload more sounds from it :wink:

The rave scene is pretty big in melbourne :evil: so I'll definately find a use for more rave sounds!

hey man yeah. . keep an eye out, I got mine from the US shipped over here. . . Was heaps dodgy. . it came floating in a cardboard box I thought it'd be dead for sure! :? this is after specifically telling them to take care packaging it...

The AN200 & its FM brother the DX200 are actually *really* cheap compared to the an1x / dx7 that theyre based on . . I think I paid US$300 for mine a couple months ago.

This sound probably isnt the most amazing to come out of the synth . . I'm still a bit of an amateur programming synths but startin to get the hang of it..

If you've got any specific type of synth sample you'd like let me know and I'll try and put together a set. . Will be good for me to learn more bout it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:35 pm 

ah, the an200. i have never played with one of these but have often lustfully thought of acquiring one. it looks like a great box, especially with all those knobs giving you so many tweaking possibilities

i have read that there's a glitch in the sequencer that skips the first beat in a new pattern when you change between loops....have you encountered this Cartesia? hopefully not all these boxes were affected (external sequencing would overcome this but sometimes you just want a simple groove)

thanks very much for posting these sounds, gonna drop them onto a CF card tonight :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:49 pm 

unfortunately i think its a global problem..

the sequencer is shart anyway - only 16 steps per pattern which translates to 1 bar..hardly worth using!

i sequence it externally.. its still very fun to play with though - the scene morph (basically morph between two synth patches) and 'free eg' (basically automated paremeters) make it quite complex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:46 pm 

More hoovers please. I know they're cliche but god do I love 'em. The raver in me will never completely die :lol:

Ever since I read the review on the an200 years ago I've wanted to hear big fat detuned saw waves sounds with the units' 'unison' mode turned on...

So that I'm giving as well as taking, check here

viewtopic.php?t=489

for some patches that I've made. They're for the 606, but you could still easily adapt them for the 404...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:39 am 

cool :)

I'll make somethin a little more hooverlicious for ya and pitch-twisting. . in the mood for some synth programming today :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:20 pm 

Kewl!

Man, those other sounds were RAW! I made a few loops last night with them and they are nice... Really good with the gate mode in the 606 (plus a bit of compression and filtering....and flanger).... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:47 pm 

thanks yo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:33 pm 

thanks!! :P

http://www.reverbnation.com/vivipedraglio
http://www.soundcloud.com/vivipedraglio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:58 pm 

I'm saving for an AN-200 myself. If you feel like contributing the time and effort a full review would be much appreciated. Keep the sounds comin man, I'd like to hear some of the drum sounds from it. Thanks for these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:02 am 

the an-200 has parted company with me..

I miss it, but I sold it to fund buying a dave smith evolver so it was somewhat an upgrade ;)

Here's a bit of a review of just things that come to mind. .not comprehensive or anything

First things first. . unless you have a windows 95 computer, you can not use the software editor. I never used it. I have no idea what parameters you can access via it that can't be accessed on the front panel. .I found I had enough to create all manner of variations of sounds anyhow, so I dont think it's too important.

Sounds quite fat for a VA, especially a cheap VA! Plenty capable of doing big bass and lead sounds.

Scene morphing & free EG are the most amazing things about this box by far. . . you get 4 bars time of sequenced automation, as well as the ability to shift between two completely different variations of the same basic oscillator set (cant change oscillator types in scene morph, and a couple other things. . filter type, effect type)

The drum samples (and also multisampled basses that you can play as well as the synth line) are actually pretty good for a groovebox. . I sampled them into my 404 to use and with a few effects they were great.

Effects were OK. . I dont think there was any BPM sync on the delay which was really the only negative I can think of.

Other useful features... 'current value' button - holding it down and turning the knob you're interested in displays the value, but doesnt change it - so you can turn the knob to the correct position for that value, let go of current value, and then it will turn smoothly from the right spot rather than jumping. . useful for live performance.

Same thing goes for the 'original value' button - this is the value saved in the synth patch... so you can always get back to where you were no matter how much tweaking you do.

I never much used the sequencer, but by using the free EG you can create some great acid style sequences (an200 does an OK acid impression but its not exactly going to rival the original or a faithful clone)

What else can I say. . hmm. . Oh yeah, dont forget that with some buttons that cycle through a couple options (eg waveform cycle button), not all of the options have an led and are listed on the front panel - turning the main data knob will cylce through all possible options and display what they are on the LCD. . same goes for the effects, there are a couple extra things not listed. .

Run through the manual, its really well put together.

Also built like tanks! Mine came all the way from the US to Australia in a cardboard box with no wrapping/foam/protection, just rattling loose.. survived!

Man what a rant. . really nice synth! Yamaha's seem to be a lot better than their ebay prices would have you believe!

I would definitely think about buying one again one day. . But for now I think I'd like to try the DX200 if i go for another synth like that, since I dont have an FM synth and its sposed to be equally as good.

The end! phew :P

PS: A little tip. . if when you hit play, no sound comes out even though you've sequenced something to play, its probably because the midi clock is set to external - so it just doesnt go past step 0 because nothing is telling it to advance.

I thought i broke mine once but this was the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:31 am 

cartesia wrote:
Other useful features... 'current value' button - holding it down and turning the knob you're interested in displays the value, but doesnt change it - so you can turn the knob to the correct position for that value, let go of current value, and then it will turn smoothly from the right spot rather than jumping. . useful for live performance.

that's a handy feature

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:06 am 

thanks for these sounds...making me wish I had a synth.