It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 pm

Post subject: Need help setting up SP-404 with Focusrite 2i4 to DAW.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:53 pm 

So as the title says, I got a SP-404A (I know it's not the OG or SX but it's pretty close to a SX), a Focusrite 2i4 as an audio interface and right now I'm looking to hook it all up to use this thing in either Ableton or FL.

What do I gotta do? I have a Dual RCA to RCA cable and one Dual 1/4 to RCA cable.

If you could just tell me how do I hook it up so I can either record into the DAW or record out of it, or perhaps these both at the same time. Are my cables enough for this?

I don't have any hardware other than the 2i4 and the SP, no mixer etc.

Post subject: Re: Need help setting up SP-404 with Focusrite 2i4 to DAW.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:27 pm 

To sample into DAW:
Hook outs of sp404a to in's of focusrite.

Sample into 404a:
Hook outs of focusrite to in's of sp404a.

Have you tried yet? I don't have a focusrite but pretty sure it will have 1/4 input/outputs so the dual 1/4 to rca should work (or rca to rca if it has rca in's & out's).

Also you have to set the interface/focusrite up in your DAW.

Not sure what knowledge you have, so not sure if I answered your question. Both the sp404a & Focusrite have manuals & they should explain exactly what to do as well.......

Either way you should have everything you need to make it work :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:57 pm 

Yeah, thanks, I think I've figured it out and I assume it's all safe to plug the ins and outs at the same time (so I can use them at the same time inside DAW) with the Focusrite 2i4 and have no feedback loops etc.

I have another question though (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25841) and would appreciate help on that one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:05 am 

You MIGHT get a feedback loop using both at the same time. I don't use software really, so audio interfaces are not my thing. Try it out, but with volumes REALLY low. I THINK it might be possible to avoid the feedback loop depending on how you use them together plugged in at the same time. But if I were to do this with an sp & MPC I would get a feedback loop for sure. So be careful! It's worth a try tho!

Report back if you don't mind on if it worked or not :o)

https://sharris.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:14 am 

Quote:
when I tried different volumes and samples sometimes things got too loud and the sound becomes fucked up, but you can hear it instantly and then it's just time to mess with input/output gains either on the SP or from the DAW or the audio interface...

By this "the sound becomes fucked" I mean kind of a distorted "bleep" sound especially when recording drums into the SP, I just read about it from other users and it seems to happen on the SX too when the audio that you're recording is too loud or when the volume is just too high...

So I guess that's "normal" but obviously something to prevent from happening since I like my drums sounding clear.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:32 pm 

Yea, it distorts easy if too loud. That red light is a good indicator, I get it so the red light barely blinks (some people bring the volume down so the light doesn't blink at all, but I'm ok with a little distortion). It's just a matter of getting used to it tho, knowing how much bass/lower frequencies are ok, ect. Just experiment with it. If you think it's sampling too quiet, but it's as loud as you can get it without distorting, try eq on the 404a. The eq does a good job of boosting (Isolator is better for cutting frequencies). Resampling with a lot of bass/low frequencies will distort as well, but you can eq while sampling. I only notice distortion when resampling if there is too much bass or it's too loud. I've had my sx for 3 years, but I remember when I first got it, I didn't like how easy it distorted. The more I played with it, I got used to how it worked & the sound quality of my beats got better & better.

Some people on this board can get LOUD beats using their sp, but I think it's due to mastering in a DAW.

You should check out the sp battles.... I had my 404sx for over 2 years & used it almost daily prior to joining a battle, I thought I knew everything about it. But no joke, my skills & sp knowledge grew immensely due to battles.

https://sharris.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:11 am 

Yeah, thanks for the advice.

I don't know if I explained it wrong but when I sample or resample in the SP the sound is fine, loud enough without distortion. I try to aim for the red light blinking occasionally, it's a useful indicator.

The only problem with the volume I have when I record out from the SP (either to Audacity or DAW), that is when the volume is too low.

If I mix it well in the DAW I can make it good tho, so it's not a huge deal. I haven't been using it very long yet so maybe I'll try different things to make it sound louder, so thanks for the tips.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:43 pm 

Didn’t read all above but had similar issues with a different interface, too low or distorted, took some time and patience to dial it in but all good now.

SP-404SX