It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm

Post subject: Recording live sets standalone
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:19 pm 

I was wonderign how people record 30 min+ long sessions on their sp404s. Like sarah2ill and other people who record standalone sets.

Post subject: Re: Recording live sets standalone
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:25 pm 

Quite possible a stupid answer but could you just resample the set, amusing of course is all samples and not pattern sequencer.

SP-404SX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:03 pm 

Gonna try it out

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:02 pm 

There are a lot of possibilities when it comes to creating a live set on a sp. Plenty of memory as well. With the 404sx or 404a you could make a 10 hour set (not sure how much memory the og 404 has/if there is a card size limit).

You could make beats in the sequencer &/or resample mode. Then play the beats & transition with effects. Just start simple, practice & learn tricks.

Or are you asking how to JUST use your sp to play beats you made on other devices or software? Meaning you don't want to make the actual beats in the sp? If so, plug the outs to the in's of your sp & record your beats on the pads.

You mention sarah2ill........she has a youtube video explaining exactly how she creates live sets on her sp. I haven't seen it, but check it out if you want to do what she does.

Suggestion: Learn how to use your sp before worrying about live sets with it. Once you know the basic features of your sp you should be able to easily see how live sets can be created on it or at least you'll be able to get an idea of what you want to do, that way you know what to "research".

Put samples on it &/or full beats, play & have fun :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:09 pm 

She never really says how she starts the recording in that video just how she drags her finished beats onto the SP memorycard and some basic transitions. But when I get back to my SP I will try somethings out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:02 pm 

Mis understood the question, I thought you had a set already to go and wanted to record the performance as you played it live. My bad.

SP-404SX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:17 pm 

Still a good tip Kegeratorz :)

& I see what you're sayin KasperL .............

I like to use a mix of resample mode & the pattern sequencer to make beats on the 404. I hated the sequencer when I first got it, but now I really like it, I just had to get to know it's quirks.

Just play around with it & if you have any questions let us know. There are a lot of work arounds & tricks. A lot of things you can do during a live set with it. For now focus on 1 beat at a time, not an entire live set. Once you start makin beats on it you'll start to understand how it works, you'll get ideas, you'll think of specific questions, ect, ect.

If you already know how to make beats on it & have beats you want to compile into a live set, let us know what questions you have, a lot of helpful people on this forum. Not sure what your skill level is with the sp404 or exactly what you want to do, so not sure what pointers to give.

If you want to learn your sp inside & out, join the sp battles (check out the arena). I had my 404 for over 2 years prior to joining the battles & used it basically everyday....... I thought I knew everything about it. I was soooo wrong, the battles taught me so much. Not just about the 404, but it got me to finish beats, I learned a lot about sound design & I fell in love with my 404 all over again. Not only that, once you get good at making beats on a 404, everything else seems easy 8)

https://sharris.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:44 pm 

ive been making beats in FL studio for about a year with some succes (atleast in my book) and played bass/guitar in bands for many more. Recently been unmotivated because of the weather we're experiencing in sweden (record temps) and I bought my SP because I wanted to go outside and play with my samples.

So I've watched a bunch of youtube videos and read alot of forum posts to learn as much as I can but I just havent gotten an answer on how to record the songs back to back after importing/setting the beats up. But I think I got some answers on those <3