It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 pm

Post subject: Some tricks i use on the 404og.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:14 am 

Hello there earthlings. I ve been reading ur forums for 2 years, even though i had my sp since 2013 it got me some time before i noticed u sp-groupies. i was really into exploring it myself first. coz i was kind of disappointed from DAWs and that kind of workflow its just too "free" i kind of needed some limits to make it work for me and keep it interesting. and so i bought the 404 by chance from a postrock band i knew, didnt know anything about it. just saw all those efx and the size and well u got that point.. :D

But to the point:
1st trick i really love is the seq trick 40bpm/99bars... u can just record all the shit u want and then edit ur volumes or add something that needs to be added or del something using more poly that in usual resample mode

2nd trick: in using the same method 40/99 and if u record with short samples on gate per se (thats how it works better) u can just do a fast forward in the seq just by upping the pattern BPM to 200 ... it moves more quickly and u can just go to the point where u wanna edit....(that trick i think i have never seen it anywhere, for me is quite useful hope it is for u too)

3rd trick. i use its like a kind of mute that i do with the mfx24. just turn the pitch knob down to 0 and the back again to 10.

4rth . if u ever need to pitch up a drum u can catch it with the mfx24 having the knob1 to 0, a nd then just add some of that knob1, and find ur pitch.

5th is the mfx3 for "stereo-ing" samples and adding depth. Or for a kind of panning with the mfx21, use the knob1 to manually pan it right-left-right-... the use of this is that u get another autopan fx in the 404 that sound diff from the mfx6

6th tip is: beware of the long reverbs if u want ur stuff not that mudded and muffled, especially if u do all in the box beats like i do

7th. use the mfx20 for pitching drums, or add some thump under a kick

last trick i share is a quick way to get all ur favorite drums in your 404. Get a card and load it with some drums(oneshots probly). Now go and put some of them in A and B banks. then u can save that (cancel + Bank C) and delete them all from the banks. Now u can put new drums and save again. u can probably do that 12 times (never tried it though) . so after that u can have like in ur card saved samples for banks A/B, and still have all other banks to put like ur loops and stuff. u load ur drums by (cancel + bankA). now go put that CF in the reader and save ur preset Card in ur PC. Now u have ur fav drums in ur card prearranged in ur A/B banks, even if u delete some u can again have them there by reloading. And u can load all that in ur PC by deleting the Roland folder and replacing it with the folder u saved of that card
Now u have some extra banks of drums in there 8)

Sorry if i made it long :?
Some or maybe all of those may have already been posted in here, but well...

peace from greece

abuse.3.14

Post subject: Re: Some tricks i use on the 404og.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:54 am 

Dope man, feeling tip #2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:31 pm 

Great intro to the sp forum!

I've never used the 99 bar sequence cuz I didnt want to have to listen to the whole beat just to make a change....... never thought about speeding up the tempo! Gonna play with 99 bar seq's now.

That last tip, fillin up with drums.....is that like backing up your card? Ive never used "backup" (pad 5) on the sx, kinda sounds like thats what you're doin but you use cancel + bank C on the og? Wonder if its the same........ I hav the sx, which has "back up" & I THINK thats what you're referring to....its just a different way to do it on the sx than the og.
Gonna mess with it today.... if it works like it sounds..... im mind blown..... I was hoping this is how backup works, but i keep forgetting to mess with it. Im glad you brought this up.

Again, great post! Welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:53 pm 

i dont know if it works on the SX
i know it works in the OG
its not that easy to explain it, and my english might not help me.
it uses the trick to copy patterns in the sequencer of 404 , but instead of ptn u use is to Save drums inside the card, its like getting at least 2 more banks to use, its just tha t u need to replace the saves.. it works great with 1gig cards.
like that u can add all the drums u want in the 404 coz they are saved in the card... all the saves., not in internal mem, but u use the internal mem banks to play with the sounds.
thats the best i can do:
EXAMPLE
just try it. empty ur card with ur beloved highly cooked gem u think u are making for the last month :D :D
the add drums in ur first 4 banks. no press CANCEL + B anksC to J. now press any pad u want. now u have ur sounds in the int mem saved in ur card.
No DEL all of them and start organising the drums from thecard inside ur A/B banks. No do the same CANCEL + BanksC to J. DEL drums from A/B.
Now REDO that step again . untill no drums are in the banks of C- J and are all saved in ur card but u can use them only in ur A/B banks....

Hope u got it.... :roll: 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:15 pm 

Yea :)
Thats awesome. On the sx its save back up, then when you want to hear the back ups, its load back up. Im pumped. I knew i should've tried this sooner...... i have 20 fuckin memory cards for the sx. Instead of more memory cards, ill just use the back ups.
The drum trick is cool too, good way to use it! Might even just do that & stop hoarding samples & cards.

Thanks!