It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 pm

Post subject: The 'mute' trick
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:05 am 

I truly apologise if this was already discussed, I tried to search the forum, but I'm too freaking stoned right now, plus I wanna get back to my new track :mrgreen:

Alright, so here's the thing -

I was trying to figure out a way to MUTE certain pads (while playing) at certain spots in the track, either to build momentum, or suspense (usually it's the drums in question) - doesn't matter really, you can use it for a lot of things for sure...
I'm talking about pads playing, and you muting them here and there - without actually stopping them, having to chop them up, or use the 'mark' button.
Here's an example I'm working on right now :
I have a long drum sample (16 bars long), it's dynamic, a lot of things are going on - it's a basic kick/snare/hat, so I have space for more rhythmic elements (percussions and maybe even another drum colored and pitched differently, I love using that shit).
I also use - don't laugh - a sample of a whale song, picked up online, and it fits beautifully with the drums, but when fiddling around in cubase (I mostly use it to beef up samples, and to chop them meticulously) I noticed that muting drums here and there (oh, you know what I mean - think the proper term is 'DROP THE BEAT') does miracles.

But, alas, to use it like that on the sp 404 sx - you'd have to chop them to oblivion, or do sorcery with the' mark' button.
Or would you?
In comes the DJFX LOOPER.
You all know the score, and that's probably the first thing you say to anyone using the sp 404 sx, and DJFX LOOPER for the first time :

'Set the CTRL2 button to 1.0, and don't ask me why'

Yeah, but here's the thing - you put the sample on loop, set the CTRL2 button to 0.0 (it doesn't matter where the CTRL1 / CTRL2 are) and then just by turning on the DJFX LOOPER you can mute instantly above mentioned pad.
Theoretically, by using the 'remain' button, you can create groups of pads you can switch on/off without having to stop them, chopp them, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love choppin' up samples and then reorganising them in weird ways as much as anyone :mrgreen: but I can already see this could be a potential life saver, especially when you have longer samples.

Post subject: Re: The 'mute' trick
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:34 am 

u can do this with other effects too. like voice transformer, subsonic, etc.
any effect that allows you to cut the dry or the volume in general will work too.

i like voice transformer cuz its right on the front, and i almost never use it for anything else, so its like a dedicated mute.

nice find

Post subject: Re: The 'mute' trick
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:44 am 

burnt wrote:
u can do this with other effects too. like voice transformer, subsonic, etc

Yeah I realised that just now xD but it never occurred to me to look any further - I don't use MFX that much (only couple of 'em - chorus, vinyl sim, pitch and maybe one or two more), not nearly as much as delay, voice transformer or filter drive (which are all within easy reach).. And I also use DJXF LOOPER, gotta admit, but shit, this was a cool find for me