It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

Post subject: Layering bassline over kick
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:08 pm 

Hey sp-friends,
i was having some fun with the sp404sx and some samples and putting some kicks and snares on the samples. it was all good until i added a sampled bassline in to it, the bassline kind of swallows the kick so its nearly unhearable. So my question is, how can i put the bassline with the kick together that the kick still sounds clear and loud? i tried to turn the volume of the bassline down but im not satisfied with that. sry for bad english

Post subject: Re: Layering bassline over kick
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:29 pm 

Yeah, that's one of the things that frustrates me when using just the 404sx to make beats......especially when resampling, bass gets distorted fast. The only things I can think of are:
Use eq, maybe eq both the bass & the kick to find a happy medium.
Or a hand made side chain........lower the volume of the bass line right when the kick hits.
The isolator could help with removing / enhancing frequencies as well.
Or maybe try out a different kick? Or a different bassline? If you really like the bassline, try using a different kick.
Just some ideas........

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:56 pm 

.. as suggested . use isolator to shape the bass ( remove some of the subsonics ( i think youre doing right to lower the volume . it all counts on how you process the beats after youve completed ( to bring the bass back into prominance without drowning the other sounds

. and you could also do the same with the drum sounds . look up the suggested frequency ranges of the diff drum sounds .. it will help alot . SUBTRACTIVE EQing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:16 am 

using the equalizer on the kick and bassline at the same time already helped, it melts both together. thanks guys
THEGREAT wrote:
look up the suggested frequency ranges of the diff drum sounds .. it will help alot . SUBTRACTIVE EQing
i looked it up, but i cant see the frequency(Hz) of the sound on the sp. or what exactly do you mean?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:04 am 

Hint : don't use JUST the SP for beats/basslines..
I always found using the Waves R-bass plug in as a life saver - as in duplicate the bass track, and then leave the presence and the strings on one channel (so that's low frequency cut, and a slight high frequency boost - but, keep in mind, boosting the frequency also brings in the noise /hiss, and more importantly - phase cancellation, if you are recording bass amp with mic) and you turn on the R bass on another channel, then blend the two signals accordingly.
You should also try colouring the kick /drum part (say, SSL channel does the job pretty good) - unless you took the sample that's already been heavily modified.

The thing is, always place instruments in their designated frequency range - that way you create more space in the mix.
One of the hardest parts in the studio (and you can take my word on this, been a pro musician/producer for almost 20 years now (I'm 37)) is blending the drums and the bass in a way that everything sounds rock solid - mostly because bass is known for 'masking' other instruments in the mix when you crank it up just a bit, and when you turn it down the mix sounds fkn hilarious...

Bottomline is - and I hope you people won't hate me for saying this out loud, since I'm new here and all lol :
There's nothing wrong with using PC/MAC to make your samples sound even better, plus the work flow on SP can be truly frustrating sometimes...

Peace out

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:05 pm 

@rudn

fair point . its difficult to explain without cohesive diagram

. so..

kicks : eq boost low . cut high

snare : eq boost mid .

hi hats : eq boost hi . cut low

as a general rule . it will seperate the sounds in the mix .. allowing each to have its respectable space without too much sonic overlap . tweaking is down to preference + the actual sound itself .

hope this has helped a bit . its worth experimenting with the "isolator" also . i find it less harsh than the eq

Last edited by THEGREAT on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:09 pm 

https://imgur.com/a/LZ4R6

diagram

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:49 pm 

Bass has been the hardest for me...... I think that's common tho...... I also LOVE bass, drums, dark sounds, low frequencies, so my beats get muddy fast. I learned that eq'ing & removing certain frequencies to create space for other sounds helped immensely.

LoopmantrA - I refused to use software for the first few years I made beats, I thought it was cheating......plus I wanted to build skills, learn as much as possible & have fun. Making "dope beats" & finding easy ways to do it wasn't a concern for me.....but where it used to be farthest from my mind, it's now 3rd (#1-have fun #2-build skills & knowledge #3-make dope beats & use tools that will help). I recently added software & I found I could still keep my skills sharp, still have a lot of fun & I made better beats. Combining hardware & software is where it's at for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:26 pm 

THEGREAT wrote:
@rudn
kicks : eq boost low . cut high

snare : eq boost mid .

hi hats : eq boost hi . cut low

yea im familiar with that.

i know its very beneficial to use some software with the sp. i use some ableton, but i try to do the most with analog gear, because i dislike the workflow on pc. for now only SP with some ableton. i try to get sooner or later a mpc.

Sharris wrote:
(#1-have fun #2-build skills & knowledge #3-make dope beats & use tools that will help)

i like your view, i handle it very similiar, it is all about the fun.

thanks to all you guys, very nice forum

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:16 am 

What you recording to?

I record everything to cassette.
If you got a multitrack you can "mix" with levels.
If your bass is muffling your kick you may have too much mid in your bassline. Try some EQ.

Sometimes I solo out my loops on the 4 track and run them I to ANOTHER 4 track.
I'll push out each track through a compressor or EQ.
It helps to track things out so you don't overload your sound.

Even if you don't have / can't afford a 4 track,
there are so many recording software that have multitrack options.

I just happen to like cassette, cus it's never crashing. Tapes last forever. I got a library of 'em.

But yeah, track out your beats. It's a goid habit.

I kind of like when the bass line muffles the kick.

But you just might want to mix a little differently. EQ and levels to start. Then go from there.

It could be tedious, but going back and layering a kick over your existing kick, this one with a little punch. Layering kicks ain't nothing new, but it gives a classy, beefed up sound.
Experiment, and have fun with it.