It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

Post subject: Maschine MK2 and SP404sx together
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:53 pm 

Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a SP404sx to use in conjunction with my Maschine. I want to use the Maschine to chop and sequence samples, and I want to use the SP for its effects.

I have seen videos using the MPC 2000xl together with the SP, but nothing with Maschine. I am assuming that I need to connect both via midi and have the Maschine as the master and the SP as the slave. I have also looked at the SP manual, but it doesn't give specific enough directions.

Does anyone else use these two together? How do you connect both? Also, will I be able to add effects during the playback of the track on Maschine and save the effects in real time?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Maschine MK2 and SP404sx together
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:22 am 

Can anyone help with this, please?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:16 am 

Hi,

this is my first post so please bear with me folks...ha

I own both boxes and I don't completely understand the question... Anyway, I don't use midi at all with them (now im trying to thing of a really useful way) at least linked together. I usually sample my beats or muted out loops stems etc. from maschine via RCAs into my sp-404, old school no midi etc just crap rca from my mac audio interface. then I can have the basic loop parts on SP super quick so I can build up a new beat or just tweak the shit in realtime like only the sp can. :evil: then I usually resample that shit etc. But maschine / mpc (if you got one$) is a great way to get some shit started quick and tight. Also sometimes i just export my beat loops to wavs then drop them on the sps mem card from computer (quick and great quality not like i care), one cool thing about that is you dont have to mess with 'the perfect loop in the sp, just depends on what your looking for. Its nice for exporting tight basic loops like hats etc. I love both boxes they are so different imho thats why they work well together. I know alot of cats use the mpc 1000 + SP, I just dig hardware more these days... I hate to break it to you but you will forefit the 'power and polyphony of maschine for the quirky limitations and fast work flow that made the SP a no BS sampler. And like everyone says it has a character all its own and its a BEAST once you grasp it. So to try to answer P II of your question I dont think you can save your fx in real time?, but you can apply fx (1 per time :( on your maschine output via source input on SP and then resample that shit, so you can record applied fx in realtime as long as you resample to another pad on SP. Thats whats so cool about the SP its so simple. But Pre youtube i would be like wtf, nice manual and killer demo sounds Roland?, returned! Typical Roland shit they (suits) had NO idea how peeps would rock this box (microwave yo! and yes some peeps hate it but its all a matter of taste... Have fun, and don't give up. Also post if you figure out a cool way to use midi, perhaps you can get velocity control over the SP samples? but seems kinda redundant imho

peace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:02 pm 

SP is midi in for triggering it's own samples from another device. I think what you want is a way to feed the audio from Maschine (which is really your computer software) through the SP efx. I have not tried it, but I would guess you need to start by feeding an auxiliary output from your computer's audio interface into the SP, then out of the SP and into a channel on your audio interface.

I'm not in my studio, but I do have Maschine and SP, so at this point, I'm making an educated guess.

If all you want to do is use Maschine to slice, and then take those slices into SP for fx and sequencing, then there is no need to connect them. Just do all of the slicing, then export to wav files for import into SP.