It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:04 pm

Post subject: is the SP-404 a good starting point?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:40 am 

Hello, I'm relatively new to the sampling and beat-making scene, but a friend of mine has gotten me very interested in it recently.

Really, the title of the thread says it all. I'm currently looking at both the SP-404 and the MPC1000. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, but I'm leaning toward the SP-404 more. The possibilities of live usage, especially with my band seem really cool. Right now I'm a bassist and guitarist (but mainly bassist) of 5 years, and I can see tremendous potential with samplers.

Would the SP-404 be better for me as a beginner? I know these are SP forums, but I know lots of people here have other gear too. If I decide to stick with beat-making, I'll probably end up getting both the MPC1000 and the SP-404 eventually anyway, but what would be best first? If it matters any, I plan to run my sampler through my bass amp, and I have a couple synths that I plan to use with the sampler (an old Moog and a Yamaha DX21).

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:29 am 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09

i would suggest getting both if u could afford it

i suggest getting the mpc first . it is more of a proffesional machine, yet is very good for beginers. it is very easy, has more options, all the basic fx, nice screen and everything is very precise.

after messing with the mpc then you will see what the 404 is all about.