It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 pm

Post subject: Using SP404 on insert channel?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:15 pm 

Hello to all fellow SP users. Been a fan of the forums for a long time, and I own 3 different SP units (303,404,404sx) and it's been about time to join the forums!

Anyway, I have a specific question.

I recently bought myself a Allen and Heath Zed R16 mixer. It's a 16 channel mixer, with 16 insert channels too (one for each input channel).

I want to use both SP303 and SP404 as effects unit on the channels where I inputed my MPCs. The way I use them now is that is for example, if my mpc2000xl is on my channels 1&2, I plug SP404 into 1&2 insert channels and into line in of the SP404, and I plug in line out of the SP404 to channels 3&4 on my mixer. The same way I do with my SP303.

That works perfectly. But that takes up a lot of channels!

I'm wondering do any of you guys use Sp303 and SP404 with Y cable insert channels, so the signal returns into the same channel from where it's taken? I'm asking because I tried the other day and it didn't worked - I don't know why, I don't know if my cables are bad or I didn't connected it well.

For example I have Akai MFC42 filter unit which I use with Y cable insert. Y cable I use in a way that I plug one stereo plug into insert channel on mixer, and 2 mono RCAs I plug in a way that one goes into line in and one in line out. So the signal goes from the mixer to MFC42 and comes back on the same channel.

I tried that with SP303 and its strange...when it's only plugged on one insert channel it works, but when I plug both it doesn't work on channels as a stereo! I also had troubles with SP404.

Can anyone help me with this issue? I tryed to exaplain it the best way I can!

Thanks guys for all the great posts throughout the years
Anton

Post subject: Re: Using SP404 on insert channel?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:31 pm 

UPDATE

Do NOT try this connection.

It burned a channel on my mixer :( awful!