It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 pm

Post subject: Compression too punchy?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:52 pm 

Lovin' my 404sx so much but I'm having one problem, was just gonna by an external compressor but figured I would ask yall about this before doin that. I would prefer to keep it in the box and not use an external but it seems like no matter how I tweak the 3 knobs I can't find a level of compression that doesn't give way too much of a punchy kinda clicky quality to my kick drums. Anybody think they can help?

Post subject: Re: Compression too punchy?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:29 am 

turn them bitches down.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:15 am 

NJ killz Niggaz wrote:
turn them bitches down.

Tried that and I can get a pretty good sound but still really punchy, like I want some punch because the compressor on the mpc software gives me that but the comp on the 404 takes a certain sense of manhood from my kick even on lowest settings, like a certain lower frequency seems to be cut or saturated too much, adding eq seems to make it slightly better but the kick seems dull after, it's alright if I'm being too specific because if it can't do it I'll buy an external but just seeing if anybody could help me do it on the 404 alone.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:11 am 

maybe filter kick drum first then compress.

is your FX limit on?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:09 am 

Yeah I just started filtering them and raising the low end then when compressed it was pretty much at the level I wanted, haven't tried it on speakers yet but sounded right in my headphones, good lookin though. What would turning on the limit fx do make it better or worse? I would try now but I'm not with my machine, I know it's a limiter and it changes from attack to release but would the limiter make it more punchy or less, like I said I love punch but it was takin the manhood out the kick, like the kick was on some prepubescent type shit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:09 pm 

jordanhayate wrote:
it was takin the manhood out the kick, like the kick was on some prepubescent type shit

haha.. :D ... made me laff out loud... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:12 am 

jordanhayate wrote:
Yeah I just started filtering them and raising the low end then when compressed it was pretty much at the level I wanted, haven't tried it on speakers yet but sounded right in my headphones, good lookin though. What would turning on the limit fx do make it better or worse? I would try now but I'm not with my machine, I know it's a limiter and it changes from attack to release but would the limiter make it more punchy or less, like I said I love punch but it was takin the manhood out the kick, like the kick was on some prepubescent type shit

the limiter off has a harsh poppy sound to it.