It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:15 am

Post subject: Backup save/load? how many banks on a sd-card?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:59 am 

Hi forum.

I need a sampleplayer for long tracks, intros, vocals, basic "Dj'ing" etc.
I need a lot of GB's
My other sequencers and samplers will take care of the sequencing, one shots, patterns, programming of beats, basslines etc.

Looking at sp-404sx.
I have never tried any SP's, but like what I read/hear.
I like the simplicity, sound and form factor...though I miss real pitch..

I am sitting with the manual and have a few Q's:

A complete "setup" (what is the right term?) consists of 12#10 banks = 120 samples. This setup can be saved to an SD-card.
I work on several projects at the same time...personal projects+clients.

# Is it possible to have several complete setups on the same card?
# Do you have to switch cards if you need to load another project?
The manual says:"You can save up to 12 backups" - does this answer my question - does it work?

And:
"Importing will take approximtately half as long as the playback time of the WAVE file."

Is this only the first time it is imported, or every time you load a setup of 10 banks? Sorry if this is a stupid question..I guess it is only the first time, but want to be certain.

# how long does it take to load a 5gb set? or 32GB?

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks
TT

Post subject: Re: Backup save/load? how many banks on a sd-card?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:17 pm 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

IMO the SX sounds perfect for what you are planning on using it for.

I would recommend picking up a few cards and keeping single projects on each one. Backups are convenient if you only have one card I guess, but its way less of a headache just to throw single entire projects on to a blank card. Importing samples within the SP will take a while (probably less than half the time of playback though) but dragging and dropping from your computer will take only as long as the files takes to copy and eject the card.

I could be wrong but I think the SX is different from the OG in that you don't have to manually export your samples to the card from within the SP... so that saves even more time there...

The SX is super-fast; When you switch on the unit you can start working instantly (don't need to wait for the samples to load every time is what i mean). No need to save your changes before you power off either... It'll start right up as you left it.

As for the live situation, if you need more than 32 gb (or 120 samples, whichever comes first) during your set you will need to switch cards.. If you have bits and pieces from several cards and want to consolidate your set to a single card you can "build" your set that way. In a live situation, the whole process of switching out the cards and having the next one ready to play I would guess would take about five seconds... It would be a nice feature if you could play from the internal banks while the other card is loading, but I know as least on the OG404 this doesn't work.

Did I mention that the 404sx will memorize your FX settings for a particular FX when you return to it, even after messing around with other FX... 8)

Sx users please correct me if any of this info is wrong..

Post subject: Re: Backup save/load? how many banks on a sd-card?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:18 pm 

Thank you for your clear advice - really appreciate it.
Exactly the kind of info I am looking for.

Good to know that it is fast in a livesituation.
Didn't know about the FX "memory" - brilliant :D